The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Captain of all Time

Rate this topic

Bertorama

For me it's easy, it's the guy who got us the closest we've ever been to winning the cup. Linden literally put the team on his back in game 7 of the 94 finals, scoring 2 goals and almost getting us to overtime all by himself, even with a broken nose, cracked ribs and all.  That team really deserved better.......Sigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Growing up I liked Stevie Y, Burnaby Joe and Markus Naslund. I was quite young during Linden's glory years. But, hearing the stories about Linden. It's quite legendary. Was it Cliff Ronning that told the story about Linden's ribs and how he was screaming in pain in the medical room but walks into the dressing room like nothin' just happened? Stuff like that gives me goosebumps every time just thinking about it.

As much as Naslund and the West Coast Express got me into hockey. The stories and the way Linden played sounded legendary. Even as a guy that never got to watch him in his prime years I gotta give my vote to Trevor. I watched him in his twilight years and I loved him then. Can only imagine how much appreciation I'd have for the guy if I watched him play in his prime.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bertorama said:

Would love to hear everyones thoughts.

In light of a new ”C” to be given Wednesday night, Who  is your choice for the best Canuck Captain of all time. C082484E-A38D-49FB-9E31-42DCF330F5D3.thumb.png.db34ff698542c4da25e2ff2317286875.png

I have to go with Trevor Linden hands down, he was who I looked up to in my era along with Steve Y.  He was able to showcase being a captain is about showing up to play every night and give it your all. Rarely did he play a bad game if ever.

post-13506-1203974968_thumb.jpg

If you don’t have a fav Canucks Captain who was the Best Captain to play on any NHL team. ?

Messier for both answers?   :lol:

In all seriousness, I’d go with Henrik for the Canucks as greatest captain of all-time.   Henrik had all of Linden’s off-ice attributes, but was also a legitimate superstar in the league.   Linden, at his peak, was always a very very good player, but was never considered to be a superstar or amongst the best on the league.

As far as all-time goes, I’d probably have to go with Stevie Y.    He has four cups on his resume, and could also be used in any kind of forward role.   He could be play wing, be used in a scoring role, or be used to shut down. 

Good captains don't have to lead the team in points.

Good captains just have to lead the team. Also, when the going gets tough.... good leaders step up and carry the club on their shoulders.

I vote for Linden with Steamer just behind.  Both of them were true warriors that you would climb out of trench with and bravely follow. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 2