The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Trade Value Of Mr. Adam Gaudette

Hello friends.

I'm a big Adam Gaudette fan, but I cant help but wonder.... what's his trade value on the open market... if  a gm in need of a center came knocking... what would it take for us to say goodbye to Mr Gaudette.

I'm in no way saying we should.

I'm just looking for intelligent conversation on what his value is.... and what it would actually take to pry him from Benning.

Gaudette Pros:

ELC

Offensive/scoring abilities

Gaudettes will to improve.

CONS:

Unproven to be a everyday NHLer

Cheers

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Wat 4

It would be foolish to trade Gaudette right. Ow since his value is on the rise (and to what extent we don’t know).

It would only make sense to trade Gaudette for another prospect (young defensive prospect) that also appeared to be on the rise.  However - why would a potential trading partner be willing to give up such a piece?

Doesn’t seem likely.

i had suggested an Adam Gaudette for Bode Wilde proposal this past Summer, but I think both teams would greatly prefer to hold on to their young prized and developing assets.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess it depends, are we using the weight of dried or fresh magic beans to calculate this? 

Fresh Jimmy always Fresh takes to long to rehydrate the dried ones.... and I find them less magical after they have been rehydrated.

To be honest the question arose from the Pittsburg situation.... I was thinking what if they wanted a center.... but someone younger with more potential and offence than Sutter... that can play now... but then shadow malkin and crosby....for a longer term fix for thier aging middle. 

Got me thinkin if the phone rang and that's what they wanted.... what would it take.

Thanks for the helpful and engaging comment ;)

Cheers

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Fresh Jimmy always Fresh takes to long to rehydrate the dried ones.... and I find them less magical after they have been rehydrated.

To be honest the question arose from the Pittsburg situation.... I was thinking what if they wanted a center.... but someone younger with more potential and offence than Sutter... that can play now... but then shadow malkin and crosby....for a longer term fix for thier aging middle. 

Got me thinkin if the phone rang and that's what they wanted.... what would it take.

Thanks for the helpful and engaging comment ;)

Cheers

always here to help.

Pits needs some veteran replacement help on the cheap if anything, sounds like they are just going to try to weather it. 

My point was its too hard to place a value on an ELC like AG, in part because a lot of it would be based on future potential projections and also because we need him too, so another team would have to overpay. So the goalposts on this are so wide, no way to really nail it down imo.

• Upvote 1

I also had a fleeting thought on this question, myself...…..I think it is a good question to ask, just for shtt and giggles

My thought, is what are our needs?

Which if we traded Gaudette would be another young center, which makes this a redundant move, IMO

for the reasons you stated as pro's in your original post

I guess a blue chip prospect, but why does the other team do that? I guess for an urgent need, but it would require that overpayment

Nothing that Pittsburgh has, or would want to pay

We have Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette and soon to have Madden down the middle, that is a very enviable place to be

We have Boeser, Podkolzin , Virtanen, Lind, and Lockwood on RW, which is again is loaded with potential

Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois, and Rathbone at LHD....seems solid moving forward

Demko and DiPietro in goal, which seems to be solid

We have Woo, Stecher and possibly Tryamkin at RHD....it could use an upgrade (I won't lie)

Probably LW, which really only has Hoglander in the prospect pool

But again, this means you weaken your future center ice position, until you can have a better idea of, if Madden is good enough

To me, I would wait, regardless, as I want to see, what plays out this year, at the next draft, which could fill in the remaining holes, 

but its way to early to be thinking of that...……...

I am going to be watching our recent secondary picks, for any development as well......

Players I am watching, are

2019...…….Keppan(LW), Focht(C), Solovs (G), and Malone(RW)

2018...…….Karlsson(C), and Utanen (D)

If any of these picks step up, Benning again wins

So, no, Gaudette doesn't get moved, except for a huge over payment....Huge!

But his value is basically undetermined, at this point to me...…...he is not blue chip (first line), to me

but he has the potential...………...I don't think you trade that......that and ELC's are way too valuable 

But I would trade Suter in a NY minute, again for the right price

• Like 1

I'd definitely trade Hockey Gaud for a top four D man of equal age and upside.  Hockey Gaud looks like he will mature into a number 2 center.  That's a prized commodity in the NHL.  I don't know the young D men in the league well enough to determine which one to target, but the return would need to be one of those guys (top four with offensive potential.)

Any guys we can suggest?  Is Fabbro a good match?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd definitely trade Hockey Gaud for a top four D man of equal age and upside.  Hockey Gaud looks like he will mature into a number 2 center.  That's a prized commodity in the NHL.  I don't know the young D men in the league well enough to determine which one to target, but the return would need to be one of those guys (top four with offensive potential.)

I suggested an idea like this in the Summer (Gaudette for the defensive equivalent, in terms of age and potential), but I don’t think it’s very realistic.    I think teams (Vancouver included), would rather hold onto their prized possessions to see how they pan out, as opposed to moving them.

The guys that came to my mind this past Summer were Bode Wilde and Dante Fabbro, but I can’t see either of those teams making the trade.

And honestly?   Given the way that the role of the 3rd line Center has been changing over the last few years (ie  scoring center as opposed to being a shut down guy), I think the Canucks have an organizational need for Gaudette.  

I want to see what a line of

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

can do.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guy playing 19 minutes a night for Nashville, that also made Subban expendable? Playing on a team that has a center group of Johansen, Duchene, Turris and Bonino? Pretty sure they don't want Gaudette for Fabbro. Considering Gaudette is barely an NHLer as of right now. Guy is a 40% faceoff man. Not so bad if you drop a good amount of points. Which he hasn't yet. Honestly he has far more value to us than he does to another team. 23 years old, hasn't shown to be a reliable 3rd line center let alone having top 6 upside. Something tells me he's a winger at the NHL level and I also doubt he has that top 6 upside others see.

Based on currently level plus potential upside... I would say maybe a 3rd rounder max.  

That is technically a good return on investment 5th rounder turned into a 3rd rounder.

But that being said, he's already NHL games and at worst he is a 4th liner, but it's likely he will end up being a good 3rd liner or even maybe top-6 in his prime.  

That worth more than the average 3rd round pick.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The guy playing 19 minutes a night for Nashville, that also made Subban expendable? Playing on a team that has a center group of Johansen, Duchene, Turris and Bonino? Pretty sure they don't want Gaudette for Fabbro. Considering Gaudette is barely an NHLer as of right now. Guy is a 40% faceoff man. Not so bad if you drop a good amount of points. Which he hasn't yet. Honestly he has far more value to us than he does to another team. 23 years old, hasn't shown to be a reliable 3rd line center let alone having top 6 upside. Something tells me he's a winger at the NHL level and I also doubt he has that top 6 upside others see.

I've never really liked Fabbro too.  He's way too soft and just awful without the puck for my liking, considering he brings very little (if any) offense.  Maybe we can find a better guy than him, that's more equal to Hockey Gaud?