The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Trade Value Of Mr. Adam Gaudette

31 minutes ago, the grinder said:

oh look what jim found in the 5th round , and developed in college and Utica  vs the canucks never hit on late round pick and develop players  ,  Can we keep him just to prove to the doubters  wrong  

Gaudette hasn't hit yet either (and neither has any other late round picks....YET).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

I'm in no way saying we should.

I'm just looking for intelligent conversation on what his value is.... and what it would actually take to pry him from Benning.

Next 3 posts : But Why?!?!?!?!?!

Read people, read.

Honestly a 2nd rounder or a prospect drafted 25-40 range but that's just a guess.

BUT WHY DO YOU WANT TO TYRADE HIM OP?!?!?!? RAWR $#@$@#$

:bigblush:

• Haha 4

acquiring  pearson and miller certainly didnt help baertschi or goldobin ,but gaudette withstood the cuts ,given the possible hard feelings from the players sent down ,its highly unlikely they would consider trading him at this point , he is ,and has been an important player in this rebuild ,his trade worth is a moot point.

12 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

Hello friends.

I'm a big Adam Gaudette fan, but I cant help but wonder.... what's his trade value on the open market... if  a gm in need of a center came knocking... what would it take for us to say goodbye to Mr Gaudette.

I'm just looking for intelligent conversation on what his value is.... and what it would actually take to pry him from Benning.

Gaudette Pros:

ELC

Offensive/scoring abilities

Gaudettes will to improve.

CONS:

Unproven to be a everyday NHLer

Cheers

Looking for intelligent conversation on CDC is like looking for Bigfoot and Unicorns. You may find it but it might be damn hard.

From my point of view Gaudette is just coming into his own so I don't think we would get value for where the team believes he will be. Stand Pat is the best call at this point.

• Like 1

It's likely not too high tbh. He's got value certainly, but even having won the Hobey Baker he's still just potential at the NHL level at this point. 

He's worth more to the team given that potential than what he'd probably garner via trade, and teams looking to nab him would likely be trying to steal him away with low/med offers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gaudette hasn't hit yet either (and neither has any other late round picks....YET).  

if a player is in the line up that has been drafted(5th rd) and then developed in college and Utica  , is what people are crying the canucks don't do , hit on a late round pick 5th rd  and then develop ,  and your saying he hasn't hit  yet  he is in the line up   

45 minutes ago, the grinder said:

if a player is in the line up that has been drafted(5th rd) and then developed in college and Utica  , is what people are crying the canucks don't do , hit on a late round pick 5th rd  and then develop ,  and your saying he hasn't hit  yet  he is in the line up   

Frankie Corrado (another 5th rounder) made the lineup (of a playoff team).  I wouldn't call him a "hit".  

Brent Sopel (a 6th round pick) is what I call a hit.

Course one has to consider VERY FEW late round picks are able to develop even just a journeyman career in the NHL.

Just my opinion though  (and note, I obviously am not saying Gaudette won't be a hit.....just not there yet [and still has plenty of time to get there]).

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Frankie Corrado (another 5th rounder) made the lineup (of a playoff team).  I wouldn't call him a "hit".  

Brent Sopel (a 6th round pick) is what I call a hit.

Course one has to consider VERY FEW late round picks are able to develop even just a journeyman career in the NHL.

Just my opinion though.

corrado played 28 games over 4 years in total for the canucks so I wouldn't call that making the line up ,   gaudette has played 61 games already for the canucks   , and forced his way in the lineup past goldy baer schaller loui and a threat to take sutter job , I would certainly say he is on the way to hitting

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, the grinder said:

corrado played 28 games over 4 years in total for the canucks so I wouldn't call that making the line up ,   gaudette has played 61 games already for the canucks   , and forced his way in the lineup past goldy baer schaller loui and a threat to take sutter job , I would certainly say he is on the way to hitting

Gaudette played 60 NHL games already for the Canucks (who were a lottery pick team those two seasons - not talking the current season as it is still early).  That ain't much of an accomplishment.  Forcing your way past trash like Schaller & Louie E isn't much of an accomplishment either. 

He's getting there but it's a bit premature to call him a hit (again just my opinion) at this point.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Peace.:)

• Cheers 1

There are always a few teams that are thin at centre, but AG has not proved enough for teams to give up much in the way of assets to get him.  He is a very good prospect/young guy, but not a blue chip by any means.  Most teams have young guys in there system that are potential middle 6 centres.  I don't see him as a top line, or high end 2nd line centre (like Bo) AG stands out for us because he was a 5th rounder.  I think he has  ton of potential, so my ask would be a top 75 prospect, but I don't think anyone would pay more than a 3rd at this point.

18 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

Hello friends.

I'm a big Adam Gaudette fan, but I cant help but wonder.... what's his trade value on the open market... if  a gm in need of a center came knocking... what would it take for us to say goodbye to Mr Gaudette.

Gaudette Pros:

ELC

Offensive/scoring abilities

Gaudettes will to improve.

CONS:

Unproven to be a everyday NHLer

Cheers

Gaudette, given a chance will prove himself - you can see the drive in him - the time to trade is when he has done that - if he is a surplus value on your team and you really need something else.  That is what Boston did.  They won in 2011 and started to rebuild within a year.  They were finalists last year.  That is how it's done.

Just wrong headed here.

Rebuilding team with a good young centre that improved every year in college until he became best college player in the world.  Improved through his rookie season and looks even better coming into this season.  This is what you want players to do and what a rebuilding team needs.

As much as Benning gets a lot of credit as a drafter Gaudette is actually one of his rare late round successes.  Picking up quality NHL players in the late rounds is lifeblood for a team.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:41 AM, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

99pyU5Ga1kwqSXWA2evTexn6YzPHotJF8R85JZsE

To get rid of a toxic contract that is hindering the whole club.  To be honest I would rather deal a 1st rounder than Gaudette.  He is a guaranteed 3rd line center, a good one capable of stepping up to a top six spot without any issues.  

He gives this team a deep center position and is a hard to find type of player.  

Rather the sure thing vs a lotto ticket.  

Our upcoming 1st rounders aren't going to be as good anyways.  

JB has made some mistakes but none as bad and as surprising as Eriksson.  

On 10/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, Lancaster said:

Based on currently level plus potential upside... I would say maybe a 3rd rounder max.  

That is technically a good return on investment 5th rounder turned into a 3rd rounder.

But that being said, he's already NHL games and at worst he is a 4th liner, but it's likely he will end up being a good 3rd liner or even maybe top-6 in his prime.  

That worth more than the average 3rd round pick.  

Sometimes I wonder how many people on this site truly know the value of draft picks.

Taking the 90’s as a benchmark as we need some distance to evaluate properly virtually everyone but Marleau and Thornton have retired now...

And 200 NHL game played as a benchmark.

63% of the first rounders

23% of second rounders

12% of third round and beyond (all the rest)

The promise of a better player is part of the reason picks are overrated / and now under the cap teams need cheap alternatives to balance the books.. 

AG will surely reach the low bar of 200 nhl games the way he’s playing.   

As an aside as far as gems go, only four players drafted in that  decade or just before had  HHOF careers, Brett Hull, Gilmour, Robataille and Datsyuk that were drafted in the later rounds.

• Upvote 1