The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta man sued by trespasser who was hit with a ricocheted bullet files counterclaim

PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Alf, no one is saying that at all. 

We're going by your posts that state you believe you're fully within your rights to kill someone if you catch them stealing a bag of grain from your farm. 

Don't be a criminal and you won't get shot. Your home and land is your sanctuary and if you threaten that sanctuary it's your fault what happens next.

Just giving my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Don't be a criminal and you won't get shot. Your home and land is your sanctuary and if you threaten that sanctuary it's your fault what happens next.

Just giving my opinion. 

Well, just remember, as father, that even kids from good homes do stupid stuff sometimes. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

Stories like these are exactly why Alberta will never allow on gun restrictions here. Trudeau and Singh have said they will allow municipalities to restrict firearms. The Alberta Justice Minister, Doug Shweitzer has already said Alberta municipalities do not have that right in Alberta. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How do we know it's non violent? Sorry funk if they came to my property I would view it as a serious threat to my family and would have no choice but to act.

I’m referring to the story I posted. Unless you want to walk that back, your posts would seem to imply that shooting a fleeing teen in the back for shoplifting is okay because crime.

A friend of mine used to live right beside a high school with 3k students. He was constantly complaining to the school about kids tresspassing in his yard as well as playing on the net he had put up in his driveway (which he later removed in frustration). Should have just shot at them kids and claimed self-defense.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I’m referring to the story I posted. Unless you want to walk that back, your posts would seem to imply that shooting a fleeing teen in the back for shoplifting is okay because crime.

No I don't agree with that. I'm referring to people going to people's property or homes they deserve what they get imo. I apologize if you were talking about something else been a long day my friend. 

30 minutes ago, Toews said:

A friend of mine used to live right beside a high school with 3k students. He was constantly complaining to the school about kids tresspassing in his yard as well as playing on the net he had put up in his driveway (which he later removed in frustration). Should have just shot at them kids and claimed self-defense.

This is a poor example. 

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

This is a poor example. 

Its a perfect illustration of why laws that work in one particular situation can fail in another.

I will concede that I am sympathetic to lawful gun owners who frequently get the shaft because of the knee jerk politically expedient response of "Ban all the guns!" while underlying issues remain unaddressed to the detriment of society. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Toews said:

Its a perfect illustration of why laws that work in one particular situation can fail in another.

I will concede that I am sympathetic to lawful gun owners who frequently get the shaft because of the knee jerk politically expedient response of "Ban all the guns!" while underlying issues remain unaddressed to the detriment of society. 

See now I can agree with what I think you're saying, let's find solutions not a one size fits all. Rural living is so much different than next to a school.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

See now I can agree with what I think you're saying, let's find solutions not a one size fits all. Rural living is so much different than next to a school.

Its the city mouse vs. the country mouse effect. People find it difficult or just don't bother relating to people who live a completely different lifestyle than them. This is why its the job of law makers to get this stuff right because most people are clueless to the struggles of others.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

No I don't agree with that. I'm referring to people going to people's property or homes they deserve what they get imo. I apologize if you were talking about something else been a long day my friend. 

I thought you were quoting another post of mine, sorry. Long day for me too.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 1