The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Naslund: My open letter to Bo Horvat on how to be the Canucks captain

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

I'm not going to post the full article, as the Athletic is worth your support, but this is a mighty fine read for anyone curious:

https://theathletic.com/1277467/2019/10/09/markus-naslund-my-open-letter-to-bo-horvat-on-how-to-be-the-canucks-captain/?source=twittered

Dear Bo,

We have only met once, but I wanted to congratulate you on being named the new captain of the Vancouver Canucks.

It’s a great honour and you’ve earned it. The team went through a full year without a captain. They’ve had a lot of time to make this decision and there’s a reason they picked you. That says a lot about you as a natural leader.

I’ve always heard good things about you from bumping into Henrik and Daniel Sedin over the years. When I’ve been over in Vancouver and I’ve had an opportunity to watch you play, I can see that you play the game like a team player.

Even from afar, it’s clear that you have the respect of your teammates. And from the fans in Vancouver.

Now I’d like to offer you some advice: I hope you use the “C” as a motivating factor, as something positive.

I hope you don’t let it wear you down. It’s something that can push you, that can motivate you. I know I always felt...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Rush17 said:

The fact this is behind a paywall infuriates me. This is one of those ones they should open up to everyone as a taste test of their product. Letters like this is genuine shouldn't be kept to a specific class of fan who pays for someones writing. It is a fine business model but not for important things like this.

+10 to whomever posts the full article 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Naslund was a great captain. So was Henrik. I don't care what the Don Cherry, Canadian loving stans have to say. Nazzy and Hank didn't cheat you on effort and they cared about winning as much as we do. This is a great show of faith and good will by a guy that doesn't need to do this for our team and our players anymore. Great leader and a great man. Naslund is still my all time fav hockey player and the fact he had some great words of advice for Bo just furthers my appreciation for him. Forever a Canuck.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

500,000+ subscribers last I heard. Plus, I happen to enjoy the guys the have covering the Canucks now. 

I got my subscription because of Botch and Biech. I'm assuming Biech won't be covering the Canucks anymore on the Athletic after being hired by the team.

Who else do they have covering the Canucks? To be honest, I haven't really used the subsciption much since getting it. But I was tired of seeing Botch and Biech's articles pop up on my Twitter last year, so I ponied up.

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I got my subscription because of Botch and Biech. I'm assuming Biech won't be covering the Canucks anymore on the Athletic after being hired by the team.

Who else do they have covering the Canucks? To be honest, I haven't really used the subsciption much since getting it. But I was tired of seeing Botch and Biech's articles pop up on my Twitter last year, so I ponied up.

Open implies "Openness" or "Free of obstruction".. Does it not?

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

It's Thomas Drance, Harman Dayal and Wyatt Arndt now.

Arndt is actually the one who I signed up for as, I get a big kick out of him on Twitter, but Dayal has done a few excellent deep dive stats articles since the season began.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

Open implies "Openness" or "Free of obstruction".. Does it not?

No. Open letter means it's meant for publication; rather than being communication between two people. 

Newspapers and magazines are generally the typical medium for open letters and those are usually paid for by someone. 

• Cheers 1