The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rank Cdn teams, for 2021 Div-Order

Rate this topic

• 3 months later...

It's time to call the 2021 all-Canadian Showdown. Div order at end of 56 game, reg season:

1. Flamers - Stealthily becoming a rather deep group..with decent cast of depth fwds & D. Jacob is a nasty wall, & the Garden Gnome is an angry lil' termite!

2. Canucks - We don't neeed to be front-runners. Just win at the end, when all chips are pushed forward.

3. Habs - Bergevin emerged from the raging blast-furnace of earlier Weber, Drouin gambles. His later moves are already bearing lotsa fruit. They got the mo out east

4. Sens - The surprise-darlings! Some of their impressive call-ups will provide fire hose-offense. Will be a treat to watch. Late fade on this young group, from building pro-pressure.

5. Coilers - Injuries & porous 'tending hack a leg from the barstooled-mullets!

6. Laffs - Team implosion best compared to an alpine-slide. Kyle Dubious is sent packing with his granny sweaters. Next GM sends saggy pants to the desert for Kuemper, Hayton & Chychrun.

7. 'Peg - Injuries & internal-strife take their toll. Laine is dealt off. At least they land a high pick at season's end.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

I think it'll be super close, but here's the rough order I think it'll go:

Habs - they have two #1 goalies (Price/ Allen), deep D group and probably 8-9 top-6 forwards.  Barring a stumble/ injury they'll probably be tough to beat.

Flames - likely strong group all around especially with Marky in the crease now, and a deep D and F group.  Pressure's on for 1st line after last season's debacle. 
Canucks - elite core, but the bottom-6 and bottom pair could be a liability.  Holtby and Demko would need to each carry their load to be a tough team to beat.
Oilers - some elite forwards and improved forward and D depth, but Smith's amount of games played and the results could make or break them.
Leafs - some elite forwards and very good goalie in Freddie, but I wonder if sandpaper (Bogosian, Simmonds) might be a bit too past their prime.
Jets - Hellebuyck is the beast he is, and the forward group is deep.  Question would be how their defense holds up IMO, since they don't have the strongest group.
Sens - deep sleeper, could surprise.  Murray's performance would be vital to backstop the kids (Norris, Stutzle, etc.) but they have support (Dadonov, Stepan...)

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

1. Montreal  - added a lot of depth and Price will finally have a team in front of him. 

2. Vancouver - we take the next step 

3. Toronto - too much talent but defense hurts them from Top spot 

4. Winnipeg - must stay healthy else Calgary takes them 

5. Calgary - toss up with them and the peg for 4th, but lack heart 

6. Edmonton - no defense or goaltending 

7. Ottawa - not ready to move higher yet 

Edited by Millsy

2 hours ago, Millsy said:

1. Montreal  - added a lot of depth and Price will finally have a team in front of him. 

2. Vancouver - we take the next step 

3. Toronto - too much talent but defense hurts them from Top spot 

4. Winnipeg - must stay healthy else Calgary takes them 

5. Calgary - toss up with them and the peg for 4th, but lack heart 

6. Edmonton - no defense or goaltending 

7. Ottawa - not ready to move higher yet 

With all the different poles and articles throughout the different hockey sites I think the Habs are getting overrated and as usual the Nucks are getting written off.

Habs were 24th in the league and only beat the Pens because of Price. The only chance they have is if Price turns into 2016 Price. Jake Allen is decent depending on what version shows up and their centre depth and lack of any proven game-breakers is concerning.

Moving Domi for a guy with 1 goal last season, and health issues seems at best lateral even if he gets back to his 28 goal level.

TT was great here in his 10 games but considering who he played with and the fact his stats here were far higher than his career numbers suggests he won't put those numbers up again.

Webber is a stud and Petry is good but the rest of the D is pretty meh.

Not a fan of KK and when Suzuki was their #1C he was terrible defensively.

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

With all the different poles and articles throughout the different hockey sites I think the Habs are getting overrated and as usual the Nucks are getting written off.

Habs were 24th in the league and only beat the Pens because of Price. The only chance they have is if Price turns into 2016 Price. Jake Allen is decent depending on what version shows up and their centre depth and lack of any proven game-breakers is concerning.

Moving Domi for a guy with 1 goal last season, and health issues seems at best lateral even if he gets back to his 28 goal level.

TT was great here in his 10 games but considering who he played with and the fact his stats here were far higher than his career numbers suggests he won't put those numbers up again.

Webber is a stud and Petry is good but the rest of the D is pretty meh.

Not a fan of KK and when Suzuki was their #1C he was terrible defensively.

Fair points but I also think they lacked depth. The guys they brought in will help carry the heavy hard minutes. Perhaps they’re being overrated by me as well, but they’re my darkhorse, I think they may surprise Because of the adds.

- they always play Toronto hard and now have the type of team that will cause problems for the leafs - and they play them 9x

- they won’t have issues with ottawa

- they will cause problems for Edmonton for the same reason they will Toronto (size and depth).

they don’t match up well against us, Winnipeg or Calgary.

really for me, the reason I put them at the top was the depth from their adds and I think Price is going to put on a show as he finally has a team in front of him for the first time in a decade. 

shortened season, best goalie in the North division, and he gets hot, they get on a streak, very easy to end up first. I expect him (price) to really be lights out 

Edited by Millsy

Toronto

Montreal

Calgary

Winnipeg 

Edmonton

Vancouver

Ottawa

This is so hard to predict. I personally think the Canucks had overachieved last year and was expecting a year of regression before their surge the following year. And that was before division realignment. We don’t play well against other Canadian teams. That said, the best schedule we have possibly ever seen may be huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much separating. 

Habs

Leafs 

Flames/Canucks/Oilers
Jets

Ottawa

Habs have deepest roster. I see their depth and overall talent to take them far this year in Canada. 

Leafs have strongest offence. It’ll carry them during the regular season like it has in the past. They do good vs Canada too. 

You could probably rank the Flames, Oilers and Canucks anywhere 3rd-5th. 

Like the Habs(but not as deep) the Flames and Canucks have pretty balanced rosters on paper but all it takes is for McDavid/Draisaitl to be hot for the Oilers to go on winning stretches. 

IDK what the Jets are and there’s no expectations for Ottawa this year. 

Overall it will be a hot mess. There isn’t much separating each team. 

• Vintage 1

My Regular Season Prediction:

1). Toronto Maple Leafs

2). Calgary Flames

3). Montreal Canadiens

4). Edmonton Oilers

5). Vancouver Canucks

6). Winnipeg Jets

7). Ottawa Senators

Playoffs:

Canadiens comes out to represent the Canadian Division only to lose in 5 games to Colorado. Canadiens love playing against other Canadian teams. They will thrive in this division, but they are hopeless against teams outside of Canada so they will get eliminated the moment they have to play a team outside of this division.

Canucks:

Canucks will start the season slow due to large turnover in roster, team struggles to find consistent chemistry. We will also be missing a key player in Miller to start the first 8-10 games. Canucks will pick up steam as the season goes on, by the end of the season, the Canucks are playing good hockey. However, we would not be able to recover from our slow start and we will miss the playoffs by 3 points. Meanwhile a garbage team in the West Division with fewer points than the Canucks will have a playoff berth because of the joke of a set up.

Edited by ruilin96

I think the West plays a more physical brand of hockey and is the tougher conference to play in.  Also, western teams are more used to the travel.  Eastern media guys will be surprised how good the Canucks are and the quality of their depth players. Edmonton will start the year off hot, but fall back when the going gets tough.  Calgary has solid defence and goaltending.    

1.  Van
2.  Cal 
3.  Edm
4.  Tor
5.  Wpg
6.  Mtl
7.  Ott

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I think the West plays a more physical brand of hockey and is the tougher conference to play in.  Also, western teams are more used to the travel.  Eastern media guys will be surprised how good the Canucks are and the quality of their depth players. Edmonton will start the year off hot, but fall back when the going gets tough.  Calgary has solid defence and goaltending.    

1.  Van
2.  Cal 
3.  Edm
4.  Tor
5.  Wpg
6.  Mtl
7.  Ott

Good reasoning..but will wager you're selling the Habbies short. They appear to have almost all elements.(some age, however..health will be a ?)

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Good reasoning..but will wager you're selling the Habbies short. They appear to have almost all elements.(some age, however..health will be a ?)

I thought the Laffers were lucky to win last night. The Habs outplayed them most of the night. Very impressed with the Canuck d-core last night. No 'fire drills' versus last year when they were routine. Yes, Holtby made some nice saves but did not have to stand on his head anywhere near as much as Marky had to. Thought the Oiler d-core got caught a lot. TO defense also weak. 

• Cheers 1

Doubt very much Vancouver leads the Regular Season but expect them to be in the top 4.   I still think Leafs are vastly overrated and I don't like the Flames "soul" and expect it to be a "soul crushing experience" for emotional guys like Marky and Tanev.   Habs are a wild card for me - so much change and so many veterans that could all have good seasons and make a difference that really shows up in the standings.    Winnipeg not as bad as people seem to think - just not sure what they are either.   I also think Ottawa will nip at heels and even pass a team or two.   I like their youth.

Going out on a limb and thinking that Habs or Leafs will lead in points but one of Canucks, Jets or Oilers will win the playoffs in the West.    

On 1/14/2021 at 8:42 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Doubt very much Vancouver leads the Regular Season but expect them to be in the top 4.   I still think Leafs are vastly overrated and I don't like the Flames "soul" and expect it to be a "soul crushing experience" for emotional guys like Marky and Tanev.   Habs are a wild card for me - so much change and so many veterans that could all have good seasons and make a difference that really shows up in the standings.    Winnipeg not as bad as people seem to think - just not sure what they are either.   I also think Ottawa will nip at heels and even pass a team or two.   I like their youth.

Going out on a limb and thinking that Habs or Leafs will lead in points but one of Canucks, Jets or Oilers will win the playoffs in the West.    

Ugh! Your namesake would be hugely disappointed in that thought!! Good to see you here again :)

Gotta think our division could be a 7 team race after the Sens won tonight.  They look like they have solid depth with Brady, Stepan, Steutzle, Batherson, Dadonov... etc. up front and even with Gudbranson on the top pair he looked solid.  Murray's still got holes (e.g. between his glove and left pad) but he's at least almost on par with the likes of Koskinen, and of course he beat Andersen tonight.  Buckle up boys, this season's going to be fun.

4 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Gotta think our division could be a 7 team race after the Sens won tonight.  They look like they have solid depth with Brady, Stepan, Steutzle, Batherson, Dadonov... etc. up front and even with Gudbranson on the top pair he looked solid.  Murray's still got holes (e.g. between his glove and left pad) but he's at least almost on par with the likes of Koskinen, and of course he beat Andersen tonight.  Buckle up boys, this season's going to be fun.

Indeed. Then factor in they're sitting at 70 mill, with 5 or 6 developing 1st r prospects lying in wait.

What if they felt like pursuing Dubois, for craps & gigglin'?

Norris, Brannstrom, Stepan(retain whatever BJ's ask) & a 1st

^Who's gonna beat that?!