The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi should be in the ring of honor.

Rate this topic

CanuckGAME

Should Todd Bertuzzi be inducted into the ring of honor?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It will likely happen next season. 

I think we have our fill with the Sedins and Burr this year. Marketing will want to spread some stuff out to next year 

Bert pretty much had his career destroyed fighting for the honour of this franchise and protecting its first ever reigning MVP. 

If Steve Moore doesnt maliciously attack Naslund (leagues reigning MVP at the time and Todd's best friend) you can bet your ass the Canucks win the cup in 2004 and Bert is a first ballot hall of gamer. 

I'll never forgive Steve Moore for his actions. That said, it's too bad he got hurt the way he did... Had 5 players not jumped on Bertuzzi and piled up pressure to Moores neck we'd all be signing a different narrative. 

Regardless this doesn't take away anything from Big Bert in my books. All man. All time. 

Long live the Italian stallion! 

Edited by apollo
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm a huge Bertuzzi fan (he was my favourite player as a kid), but I'm not sure he was really around here long enough or dominant for enough years to merit that honour. All of the players currently in the ROH played for Vancouver much longer than Bert did (except Kurtenbach). To me, he'd be on the fringe of making it. I wouldn't be strongly against it, but I would be fine with leaving him out.

That's my stance on it. It isn't like we have to fill all the spots right away, and looking at Bertuzzi you have to start to consider some other players, like Jovanosvki (or I'm sure there are other better examples).

On 10/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, -AJ- said:

The other case some may put up against him is that the hit on Moore would exclude him from any honour, but I myself would disagree with that. He made a stupid decision, but he apologized and life has moved on. No point on hanging a guy's entire career on one dumb mistake. If he's kept out of the ROH, I'd rather it be due to his performance, longevity, and impact than a single bad moment.

If he's even close to the fence, you do factor that in. It was a pretty dark spot on his career and the Canucks at the time, and it carried on with Moore's suit for years after. It's not just that keeping him out, rather he hadn't completely locked it up on his other merits.

16 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If you got to choose between the 2 Naslund or Sundstrom, whom would you pick? It's no contest.

you are right, no contest I'd go with Sundstrom.

15 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Morrison was the centre 

Yep, there is that too.

Makes it even easier between Morrison and Sundstrom it is Patrik every day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Naslund>Sundstrom>>>Morrison if were being honest. 

And Gradin was better than them all.  Gradin, Smyle, Fraser.  Best line next to the Twins and Burr.  (Until we screwed it up by trading Fraser for Tanti.). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Gradin was better than them all.  Gradin, Smyle, Fraser.  Best line next to the Twins and Burr.  (Until we screwed it up by trading Fraser for Tanti.). 

As much of a fan of Gradin as I am, Naslund was better. 

869pts>593 and they were fairly close away from the puck slight edge to Gradin there. Objectively speaking Naslund was better and Gradin is my all time favourite Canuck. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

As much of a fan of Gradin as I am, Naslund was better. 

869pts>593 and they were fairly close away from the puck slight edge to Gradin there. Objectively speaking Naslund was better and Gradin is my all time favourite Canuck. 

The Canucks foolishly traded that era’s Bertuzzi (Fraser) for a powderpuff (Tanti). 

35 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Naslund>Sundstrom>>>Morrison if were being honest. 

I am being honest. Sundstrom was a better player than Morrison and Naslund was not a center. I would be doing a bunch of thinking before I'd put Naslund ahead of Morrison as well.

Naslund had a better peak than Brendan but I'm not sure he had a better career than B Mo.

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

I am being honest. Sundstrom was a better player than Morrison and Naslund was not a center. I would be doing a bunch of thinking before I'd put Naslund ahead of Morrison as well.

Naslund had a better peak than Brendan but I'm not sure he had a better career than B Mo.

Sundström at his peak top 3 seasons

91pts

76pts

71pts

at a time when league leaders were putting up 120-200pts

Naslund

104pts 2nd in the league 

90pts 2nd in the league

84pts 4th in league scoring

Naslund’s 4th best season of 79pts tops Sundström’s 2nd best season even.

Morrison was good but to say he was better than Naslund is laughable at best. 

Edited by canuck73_3

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Getting Tanti was great, moving Fraser to get him was a mistake though.

And our team went in the dumper after that trade.  20 goals plus 200 PIMs, is way better than 40 goals and a powderpuff.  Especially considering that era of hockey.  Fraser was a very intimidating player.

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sundström at his peak top 3 seasons

91pts

76pts

71pts

at a time when league leaders were putting up 120-200pts

Naslund

104pts 2nd in the league 

90pts 2nd in the league

84pts 4th in league scoring

Morrison was good but to say he was better than Naslund is laughable at best. 

You may be confusing who got the most points with who was the better player.

Sundstrom never played for the Canucks when they were the best team in the league, while Naslund did.

FWIW Naslund's points per game are  .78  while B Mo finished at .64  per, while being the defensive conscience of the WCE.

I'll also point out that Sundstrom had .86 per game for his career. 

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

You may be confusing who got the most points with who was the better player.

Sundstrom never played for the Canucks when they were the best team in the league, while Naslund did.

FWIW Naslund's points per game are  .78  while B Mo finished at .64  per, while being the defensive conscience of the WCE.

I'll also point out that Sundstrom had .86 per game for his career. 

Again Sundström did that in an era where players were scoring 120-200pts so .86ppg in that era isn't all that impressive comparitively. He was 23rd in scoring in his best season, 43rd in his 2nd best season on a 2nd place in their division Devils team. 

Naslund was better than both, period. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again Sundström did that in an era where players were scoring 120-200pts so .86ppg in that era isn't all that impressive comparitively. He was 23rd in scoring in his best season, 43rd in his 2nd best season on a 2nd place in their division Devils team. 

Naslund was better than both, period. 

Sundstrom never played on the best team in the league, Naslund did.

But to each their own. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Sundstrom never played on the best team in the league, Naslund did.

But to each their own. :)

Naslund’s 4th best season was on a team as good if not slightly worse than Sundström’s NJ team. Naslund finished tied for 27th in league scoring Sundström finished 43rd in scoring that was on as equally talented of a team as they ever had in their careers. 

Sundström was good, Naslund was better.

11 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Absolutely not. Bertuzzi only had two good years. Was far too inconsistent in other seasons with his "it is what it is" attitude.

The late Andre Boudrias and Tony Tanti are ROH worthy. 

Try 6 good seasons for Bertuzzi and Bert>>Boudrias Bert>Tanti

Neither could outright takeover a game like Bertuzzi did. 

Edited by canuck73_3

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Try 6 good seasons for Bertuzzi and Bert>>Boudrias Bert>Tanti 

Tanti had averaged 40 goals over a 5-year stretch on a subpar Canucks team. First multi-40 goalscorer in club history. Boudrias was an original Canuck who was a top point producer in the club's first 5 seasons. First 60+ assist player in club history and held the club record for the most assists, 62, in a season until Henrik broke it decades later. Those two gave 110% every night.

Bertuzzi only played whenever he felt like it. He was no Jerome Iginla and he was no Cam Neely, two players who came to play. 

• Upvote 2