The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Excessive Speeding Prohibition

Thirty Niner

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Honestly you deserve to lose your license. BCers pay insane insurance rates because of drivers excessively speeding and causing accidents. 

No. The insurances rates are insane because everyone and their dog is scamming the system. Also, half the city has doesn't have the ability to drive or follow straight forward driving protocol. This topic has been studied countless times. Higher speeds don't cause more accidents. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Thirty Niner said:

I'm an experienced class 5 driver. 2 Excessive Speeds in 5 months (6pts total) at the identical spot. Criteria indicates prohibition for 2 like offenses within a 1-year span. Is this a guarantee? Looking for clarity. The vehicle is being governed next week.

BC nerfs your car if you speed? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Driving is a privilege and far too many people abuse that privilege IMO.  Speeding is an issue... but far behind tailgating, distracted driving and poor road knowledge. I feel like half the time I’m disctracted or tentative because other drivers are making stupid decisions. 

People will pay fines and not change their driving habits; but if you require people to take a road test or classes for accidents and tickets, people will absolute change their habits. People value their time more than actual money. 

There is an intersection at the local mall that has a 2 way stop with 3 points to enter the intersection. It’s at the point where it’s become a 3 way stop because half don’t notice, and the other half are too tentive to trust they know it’s a 2 way stop. This bothers me so much more than speeding.

I honesty don’t know what OP’s question is? 

His question is if he is going to lose his license. One would certainly hope so apparently he believes the laws of the road don't apply to him.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh I'm very much using my brain.

Thanks though. I usually don't bother with the everyone is wrong except me ppl.

Science says he isn't wrong. Speed limits are put in place to function year long even in the presence of snow, freezing rain etc., ie. anything which affects static friction between tires and road. This is why you are probably safe going a little faster on curves even when the speed limit may be much lower assuming ideal conditions. 

Spoiler

Assessment+In+the+case+of+a+car+rounding

Edited by Toews

34 minutes ago, Toews said:

Science says he isn't wrong. Speed limits are put in place to function year long even in the presence of snow, freezing rain etc., ie. anything which affects static friction between tires and road. This is why you are probably safe going a little faster on curves even when the speed limit may be much lower assuming ideal conditions. 

Hide contents

Assessment+In+the+case+of+a+car+rounding

Re read the OP. 

"Excessive speeding "

I believe in BC that indicates at least 30 over doesn't it?

I never spent much time in the lower mainland but if a speed limit on the king George is 80 doing 110 significantly increases the risk of an accident especially when you add the traffic in the area.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lionized27 said:

First I'm hearing of this. Prohibition is prohibition. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope. He is probably doing this because apparently he can't keep his foot out of it. 

So it's a voluntary thing to keep his rates low? 

I know truckers in Ontario and I think 1 other province have to put on governors that limit their speed to highway limits.

• Wat 1

To my knowledge it's only Ontario but tbh I haven't been east of there. I don't know if it's to keep rates low or he can't control himself.  I'm not familiar with Icbc anymore it's a state run insurance provider. Alberta insurance is private but I have never heard of governors to keep rates low but I have been wrong before.

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Honestly you deserve to lose your license. BCers pay insane insurance rates because of drivers excessively speeding and causing accidents. 

Not paying attention likely causes many more accidents then speed, unless there are many others on the road and you are weaving in and out