The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Excessive Speeding Prohibition

Thirty Niner

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

So it's a voluntary thing to keep his rates low? 

I know truckers in Ontario and I think 1 other province have to put on governors that limit their speed to highway limits.

I don't know of any ICBC provision regarding governors, voluntary or otherwise. The judge will tell the OP to remove his lead boots...then hand down his minimum three month suspension.

42 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Re read the OP. 

"Excessive speeding "

I believe in BC that indicates at least 30 over doesn't it?

I never spent much time in the lower mainland but if a speed limit on the king George is 80 doing 110 significantly increases the risk of an accident especially when you add the traffic in the area.

Actually, it's 40kms over in BC.

https://bcdrivinglawyers.com/excessive-speeding/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mpt said:

Not paying attention likely causes many more accidents then speed, unless there are many others on the road and you are weaving in and out

I'm not doubting the distraction aspect but it should be noted that many accidents have speed noted "as a factor". Not stopping at a red light, for example. The driver could certainly be distracted AND speeding.

Just saying.

17 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

I'm not doubting the distraction aspect but it should be noted that many accidents have speed noted "as a factor". Not stopping at a red light, for example. The driver could certainly be distracted AND speeding.

Just saying.

Often, that factor is in the severity of the accident.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Actually, it's 40kms over in BC.

https://bcdrivinglawyers.com/excessive-speeding/

the definition of excessive speed was changed from 30 to 40 kmph over the limit a while ago

when the penalties were increased

and impounding the vehicle was introduced for this violation

realistically though it is 45 kmph as a judge ruled in speeding decision that there is a rule of thumb used in speeding offences to allow a 5 kmph leeway on speed

you cannot get a speeding ticket is you are going 5 kmph or less over the speed limit (school zones, construction zones, and probably a couple other zones are excepted from this leeway)

i am rather stunned how someone can get 2 of these in a 5 month time period

seems to be rather irresponsible

maybe make a note to self... never exceed speed limit by 40 kmph or more, no matter what

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Admittedly it's been a long time since I have been in the lower mainland but I imagine traffic is likely pretty rough.

It's terrible. My commute is average distance (20k) and I'm cut off by ignorant drivers, easily, 3-4 times a week. No less than three though in eight years of this commute.

Terrible.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh there is many reasons for increased rates because of accidents. Obviously we need drunk driving to be at 0% but I seen a study about 5 years back and BC was the best in Canada in that category. 

Not so much out in calgary.Judging by the $&!#ty drivers most people must be drunk

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

It's terrible. My commute is average distance (20k) and I'm cut off by ignorant drivers, easily, 3-4 times a week. No less than three though in eight years of this commute.

Terrible.

Ya it was probably 15 years since I was last there and traffic was brutal in Surrey and Vancouver. I would think 40 over is risky af. Sure people drive fast over here in Calgary but its pretty well all straight. 

5 minutes ago, Thirty Niner said:

Basically yeah, my question was if it's automatic prohibition. Apart from the ticket in July I have a clean driving history. I'm not saying I don't deserve it. I'll accept what is coming down and change my behaviours. Just being prepared. Not trolling.

Well you can challenge the ticket in court then you won't lose your license until that's settled and if the officer doesn't show you will win by default, if he/she does show up ask the judge for leniency and use work as the number 1 reason.

Let's get a shady lawyer to help us.

@Jimmy McGill you out there?

2 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

I don't know of any ICBC provision regarding governors, voluntary or otherwise. The judge will tell the OP to remove his lead boots...then hand down his minimum three month suspension.

You have to be found guilty of speeding 3 times in an 18 month period to get your licence suspended in NY.  The operative words being "found guilty".  Most people plead "not guilty" and get their ticket reduced to a parking ticket, a fine, and sometimes driving school.  You actually have to try to get it suspended here.

I'm not sure if he's suited for driving if he can't simply control his speed. His style of driving lends itself to more accidents. The fact that he's "excessive" about his speed really shows how reckless he is.

I'll tell you what excessive speeding is. It's when you go 140 km/h in the regular city.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/they-got-it-right-unexpected-guilty-verdict-in-fatal-high-speed-vancouver-crash-1.4446754?cache=yes

In his May 2018 decision, trial judge Gregory Rideout described driver Ken Chung's speed as excessive, but noted it was a case of "momentary" acceleration and did not reach the threshold for criminal fault.

What the actual &^@# is this, Mr. Rideout?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

No. The insurances rates are insane because everyone and their dog is scamming the system. Also, half the city has doesn't have the ability to drive or follow straight forward driving protocol. This topic has been studied countless times. Higher speeds don't cause more accidents. 

No, they definitely cause WORSE accidents though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2