The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Excessive Speeding Prohibition

Thirty Niner

38 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You're still driving like an idiot. Like I said, if you want to push your car a bit more, take it on the track. Nobody wants to get into accident because you &^@#ed up because of speed. There are zero good reasons for you to be "excessive" with your speed. If you're a bit over the speed limit, okay. It's not great, but okay. Excessive is something else. I'm not saying you're an idiot, but you're an idiot if you think this is acceptable under any circumstances, city or not.

Speed limits are an arbitrary number that were last altered due to a gas shortage in the 70's. Vehicles are far superior now a days. The most accidents are caused by the people too afraid of their car to go the speed limit, people who shouldnt be driving to begin with. The speed limits in some places are unlimited and there are very few crashes there because they actually teach their populace how to &^@#ing drive.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, EP-40 said:

My cars have been hit 14 times while parked in the last 5 years.

Only one of those objects was stationary.

If your parked car struck another stationary object (the curb, a sign, another parked car) there'd be an argument. 

Maybe if the guy driving the car was speeding he'd strike more stationary objects?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EP-40 said:

Speed limits are an arbitrary number that were last altered due to a gas shortage in the 70's. Vehicles are far superior now a days. The most accidents are caused by the people too afraid of their car to go the speed limit, people who shouldnt be driving to begin with. The speed limits in some places are unlimited and there are very few crashes there because they actually teach their populace how to &^@#ing drive.

I've seen some pretty dumb accidents which both involve speed and lack of speed. The common denominator is common sense which is apparently not that common. Why for example would people drive so fast in snowy conditions? Like that is so dumb. You see these nasty pileups because people don't expect to stop so soon - and they skid. Also, why would you tailgate someone? It's stupid. The only message you are sending is that you're a douche on the road.

Adding speed to the equation is not the answer. Education is.

I still fail to see your logic. I have no accidents by the way, and no tickets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I've seen some pretty dumb accidents which both involve speed and lack of speed. The common denominator is common sense which is apparently not that common. Why for example would people drive so fast in snowy conditions? Like that is so dumb. You see these nasty pileups because people don't expect to stop so soon - and they skid. Also, why would you tailgate someone? It's stupid. The only message you are sending is that you're a douche on the road.

Is driving a right or a privilege?  Maybe it’s too easy to get a license, and too difficult to have it taken away? 

Driving is an important part of our economy.  The secondary industry associated with vehicles is massive.  Pretty much a large part our economy is tied to a large number of bad drivers staying on the road.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is driving a right or a privilege?  Maybe it’s too easy to get a license, and too difficult to have it taken away? 

Driving is an important part of our economy.  The secondary industry associated with vehicles is massive.  Pretty much a large part our economy is tied to a large number of bad drivers staying on the road.  

I thought it was difficult to get a license, mostly because I was so nervous about screwing up. I think in hindsight, this made me more cautious about how I was driving. I love cars as much as any fan out there, particularly as you drive fast.

People like that guy who drove at 140+ km/h in the city needs to get his balls ripped off of him. The fact that he got into a SECOND accident really could've been prevented.

22 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

So it's a voluntary thing to keep his rates low? 

I know truckers in Ontario and I think 1 other province have to put on governors that limit their speed to highway limits.

If you're talking semis they are all generally governed to point. It isn't so much because of speed limits it's actually more because of tires and load rating. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Free-Unit said:

If you're talking semis they are all generally governed to point. It isn't so much because of speed limits it's actually more because of tires and load rating. 

Why should and vehicle be able to go faster ( yeh Flames got scored on ha ha ha losers) than the top speed limit in the region it’s sold?  I think puts here is 120, so no car should really need to go any faster than that, right? 

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Well when that douche is in the left hand lane on the highway and not passing anyone they deserve to be tailgated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well when that douche is in the left hand lane on the highway and not passing anyone they deserve to be tailgated.

And pushed off the road.  Inevitably it’s an Alberta plate.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why should and vehicle be able to go faster ( yeh Flames got scored on ha ha ha losers) than the top speed limit in the region it’s sold?  I think puts here is 120, so no car should really need to go any faster than that, right? 

That's a different discussion. What I was saying is for the most part you don't want to do certain speeds in semis, especially depends on the weight of loads on the drive tires. A good way to lose a tire is doing 110+ on a fully loaded semi.

So since nobody knows I'll update with what happens. I was caught driving like a douchebag. I don't want or deserve sympathy. I feel bad about the situation but it's too late. I'll pay the ticket, accept what is handed down and move forward with better understanding of my actions and the consequences. 

Edited by Thirty Niner
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Tailgating means you are opening yourself to a rear ended collision. It's your fault in an accident, you know, for not allowing gap control. Stuff like this trumps the belief that ppl in the left hand lane should go faster than ppl in the right lane.

If they are in fact slow, give them a honk at a distance at least. Tailgating is just dumb AF. If he slams the breaks to 'get back at you', it's an auto loss for you unless there's a witness.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Tailgating means you are opening yourself to a rear ended collision. It's your fault in an accident, you know, for not allowing gap control. Stuff like this trumps the belief that ppl in the left hand lane should go faster than ppl in the right lane.

If they are in fact slow, give them a honk at a distance at least. Tailgating is just dumb AF. If he slams the breaks to 'get back at you', it's an auto loss for you unless there's a witness.

That guy says they deserve to be tailgated and surely he's the one whining loudest about icbc rates. 

You're the problem, not the person going too slow for you. Lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1