The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't like that Green gives him breaks while keeping Jake down, but that's not Leivo's fault.  He works hard, has good instincts and I like him, but just doesn't have the consistent skills to play the role he's been given.

I don't think he's necessarily keeping Virtanen down - I''m pretty sure Virtanen has been seeing 'dual-duty' recently - he's been playing with Beagle, but also getting his share of spot shifts on the Horvat line - which is something I like to see as I think Virtanen's speed (good transition game), and Green's development of his two way game makes him a good fit for the kind of game Horvat plays.  Virtanen's ice time has been fairly divided - about half of it with Beagle, the other half mixed on Horvat or Sutter's wing (and Sutter has seen a different kind of minutes thus far this season = he and Gaudette are team-high 68/69% ozone starts).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

My gut feeling tells me that Buffalo’s asking price for Risto will be far more than what the Canucks would be willing to give up.

I can’t see a deal taking place at all.

I’m not entirely sure what Florida’s needs are, but If they are in need of more wingers, I’d kick the tires on a Baertschi for Mark Pysk type deal.   I have no idea if that’s fair or not.

What do we have that Buffalo needs and that isn’t our core pieces? 

Jake? He’s next to redundant.

Guad? Another complimentary project-type player where they have some depth already. 

Our Dmen are all worse than their Risto.

I think it would have to a be picks and a POD, or a BB.

Possibly they’d do Marky, but that’s too much to work out from here. 

Risto is a pipe dream for the Canucks, unless they sell the farm, quite literally, IMO. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What do we have that Buffalo needs and that isn’t our core pieces? 

Jake? He’s next to redundant.

Guad? Another complimentary project-type player where they have some depth already. 

Our Dmen are all worse than their Risto.

I think it would have to a be picks and a POD, or a BB.

Possibly they’d do Marky, but that’s too much to work out from here. 

Risto is a pipe dream for the Canucks, unless they sell the farm, quite literally, IMO. 

I agree. And really, if Tryamkin is coming back why bother with Risto. Risto is kind of overrated IMHO anyways and probably not worth what the Sabres would want in return. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree. And really, if Tryamkin is coming back why bother with Risto. Risto is kind of overrated IMHO anyways and probably not worth what the Sabres would want in return. 

His return, exactly.

If he were a Canuck, we’d expect the moon in trade, as will Buffalo fans.

The kid is a great offensive Dman and getting better. 

His return will be first line forward-good. 

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

His return, exactly.

If he were a Canuck, we’d expect the moon in trade, as will Buffalo fans.

The kid is a great offensive Dman and getting better. 

His return will be first line forward-good. 

Yip. Doesn't fit here. Could see Ehlers, Nylander, Kapanen types offered up. We dont have those kinds of spare parts. 

16 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Like Tanev but he is made of glass, if extended it better be short term and shouldn't be a raise either. Unless he has a career year in his contract year pt wise...ugh that would suck.

Personally we committed long term to Myers, I would just stick Hughes with him, only about a FOOT difference in size haha. Also, if we can bring back the Big Russian D this coming Spring that helps us with our depth too. 

I am 100% all for trading Tanev come deadline, get a pick or 2 with a condition on it maybe if your lucky and he is playing well and be happy and move on imo. Need to move on from guys before they get too old and past there prime....have we not learned that yet?

Tanev is too good to trade away. This narrative is getting a old. Same people calling for Edlers head last year. Can’t replace top 4 D men. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Also:

Miller EP Ferland

Pearson Bo Boeser

Leivo Gaudette Sutter

Schaller/Motte Beagle Jake

Give it a try

When Ferland is at full strength and if Green still doesn't want baertschi back, this could very likely be the result...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Got to think Gaud will be going to Utica shortly. No point him sitting in press box he needs to be playing. Roussel back shortly and Motte back tomorrow it seems.

Unless we are S M R T and we waive LE and then move Schaller or sit him in thre press box there is no room for Gaud until JB can trade a F like say Leivo and make the smart move and waive LE...the owner has said he doesn't care about $ per say so icing the best team means LE should be a few thousand miles away right now...has to be F option like 16-20 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't think he's necessarily keeping Virtanen down - I''m pretty sure Virtanen has been seeing 'dual-duty' recently - he's been playing with Beagle, but also getting his share of spot shifts on the Horvat line - which is something I like to see as I think Virtanen's speed (good transition game), and Green's development of his two way game makes him a good fit for the kind of game Horvat plays.  Virtanen's ice time has been fairly divided - about half of it with Beagle, the other half mixed on Horvat or Sutter's wing (and Sutter has seen a different kind of minutes thus far this season = he and Gaudette are team-high 68/69% ozone starts).

Shopping Sutter perhaps? How many other seasons has his OS/DS icetime reversed?

Virtanen has his breakout this season. 

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Shopping Sutter perhaps? How many other seasons has his OS/DS icetime reversed?

Virtanen has his breakout this season. 

Green frequently mixes things up like that - and in this case, creating good conditions for Gaudette makes some sense imo.

I think Gaudette is ready to be an NHL winger - but as a center - he'd need sheltering imo - and that's not ideal when you also have such a young top line.

I doubt they're looking to move Sutter - if someone came knocking they're probably listening - but the 'plan' imo is to compete - not make retool moves at this point.  Sutter is still important 'foundation' - and that will only heighten as the season/grind progresses.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3