The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syria vs Turkey vs Kurds escalation

kurtis

4 hours ago, Canorth said:

Turn your tv on Alf. Then change the channel from watching your reruns over and over.

its, kinda hard to miss, bud

You know what's strange so many people don't want the United States intervening in all these countries and then they leave and the same people that cry the loudest are crying again that they left.

In this scenario I think it's dumb they left because imo they created this mess and now ironically the Kurds have invited in Syrian forces in so Turkey will likely stand down as they don't want conflict with Russia. Turkey has to be very careful because now Trump has imposed sanctions on them and threaten to destroy their economy. This is the second time turkey has done something that completely flies in the face of the rest of NATO. First it was going to war with Greece a long time ago now this. In reality we should be throwing turkey out of NATO but the US never will because it's a strategic location for the United States.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

You know what's strange so many people don't want the United States intervening in all these countries and then they leave and the same people that cry the loudest are crying again that they left.

In this scenario I think it's dumb they left because imo they created this mess and now ironically the Kurds have invited in Syrian forces in so Turkey will likely stand down as they don't want conflict with Russia. Turkey has to be very careful because now Trump has imposed sanctions on them and threaten to destroy their economy. This is the second time turkey has done something that completely flies in the face of the rest of NATO. First it was going to war with Greece a long time ago now this. In reality we should be throwing turkey out of NATO but the US never will because it's a strategic location for the United States.

Trump did indeed campaign on the idea that he would get American troops out of the Middle East.  But, in addition to withdrawing troops from Syria, he's now sending more troops to Saudi Arabia.  Very confusing.

The US can be blamed for the Iraq mess but I'm not sure if they can be blamed for the Syria mess.  Didn't that start with a popular uprising against Assad by his own people, with the US, under Obama, reluctant for the longest time to get involved?

• Upvote 1

I made friends with an old school kurd guy from Turkey....

I think he fled the country as he was involved with the PKK .  The guy looks like he could kill you with his bare hands.

Super nice guy and love to support his business.     4th largest ethnic group in the middle east but no country to call home.

Hopefully peace can be found in the region.   I visited Turkey when i was on a long term walk a bout.......  people were super friendly to me. 

22 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Trump did indeed campaign on the idea that he would get American troops out of the Middle East.  But, in addition to withdrawing troops from Syria, he's now sending more troops to Saudi Arabia.  Very confusing.

The US can be blamed for the Iraq mess but I'm not sure if they can be blamed for the Syria mess.  Didn't that start with a popular uprising against Assad by his own people, with the US, under Obama, reluctant for the longest time to get involved?

The popular uprising is the questionable part imo. Met many Syrians who have told me they love Assad and that he is fighting against terrorist trying to over run his country.  Not saying they're believable but who knows what to believe but you're correct he did campaign on it and I agree it is confusing because now they have 20,000 in Arabia trying to provoke Iran into war.

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I made friends with an old school kurd guy from Turkey....

I think he fled the country as he was involved with the PKK .  The guy looks like he could kill you with his bare hands.

Super nice guy and love to support his business.     4th largest ethnic group in the middle east but no country to call home.

Hopefully peace can be found in the region.   I visited Turkey when i was on a long term walk a bout.......  people were super friendly to me. 

I agree Turkish people are friendly but their leader should be in jail.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

I believe this thread would be an appropriate place to post this:

Slaughter in Syria or Knob Creek gun range?

MURICA!!

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

Its not America's job to be the world's police, and when an American president finally steps up and does the unthinkable, he is met with nothing but derision by people that call themselves 'liberals'. This truly is a clown world.

I do agree however it's more complexed than this but you certainly aren't wrong. 

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Russia has said it will not allow clashes between Turkish and Syrian forces, as Turkey's military offensive in northern Syria continues. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50058859 

The Russian World Police Force! 

Putin the leader of the free world!

Your Chicken so of course you are against Turkey......   Classic rivalry.    Personally, i don't support either of you as i am more of a seafood guy.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, UnkNuk said:

"No, Kurds and Turks Are Not ‘Natural Enemies,’ Mr. Trump
What they need is American leadership to help them make peace."

Useful article in the NY Times giving a brief history of the Kurds and Turks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/opinion/kurds-turkey-Syria.html

The Kurds and Turks are natural enemies though. If the Kurds set up an independent country, Turkey fears that the next step for them will be to go after the territories that are inhabited by Kurds within the surrounding countries. This is a conflict that has been going on for decades and has claimed the lives of 10s of thousands of people. It has nothing to do with Trump. Trump has authorized sanctions against Turkey for this offensive. Whether or not you think he should take military action is another question. Trying to place blame on Trump for this latest round of conflict is absurd. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, taxi said:

The Kurds and Turks are natural enemies though. If the Kurds set up an independent country, Turkey fears that the next step for them will be to go after the territories that are inhabited by Kurds within the surrounding countries. This is a conflict that has been going on for decades and has claimed the lives of 10s of thousands of people. It has nothing to do with Trump. Trump has authorized sanctions against Turkey for this offensive. Whether or not you think he should take military action is another question. Trying to place blame on Trump for this latest round of conflict is absurd. 

Isn't your description of the relationship between the Turks and Kurds the same as what the article says?:

"...but as someone who has studied this particular history, I can assure you that the tension between Turks and Kurds is not centuries old. It is actually about one century old, and it’s the result of a very modern force: nationalism."

As far as Trump not having anything to do with this latest fighting or it being absurd to blame him for it, it seems the US congress disagrees:

"The House on Wednesday delivered a bipartisan condemnation of President Trump’s decision to withdraw American forces just inside Syria’s border, registering broad opposition in Congress to a move that has thrown the region into bloody chaos and unraveled Middle East policy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/us/politics/house-vote-trump-syria.html

Edited by UnkNuk

14 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Isn't your description of the relationship between the Turks and Kurds the same as what the article says?:

"...but as someone who has studied this particular history, I can assure you that the tension between Turks and Kurds is not centuries old. It is actually about one century old, and it’s the result of a very modern force: nationalism."

As far as Trump not having anything to do with this latest fighting or it being absurd to blame him for it, it seems the US congress disagrees:

"The House on Wednesday delivered a bipartisan condemnation of President Trump’s decision to withdraw American forces just inside Syria’s border, registering broad opposition in Congress to a move that has thrown the region into bloody chaos and unraveled Middle East policy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/us/politics/house-vote-trump-syria.html

The house delivers condemnation when trump eats his chicken the wrong way. Not really holding any weight at this point.

House/Congress calling for war in a conflict unrelated to the USA on the other side of the world. That's what people want now? What time line is this?

Are they really that naive, to think the escalation is because of the withdrawal of US troops? How many problems are the US responsible to resolve? Team America: World Police.

Edited by Baer.
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Baer. said:

The house delivers condemnation when trump eats his chicken the wrong way. Not really holding any weight at this point.

House/Congress calling for war in a conflict unrelated to the USA on the other side of the world. That's what people want now? What time line is this?

Are they really that naive, to think the escalation is because of the withdrawal of US troops? How many problems are the US responsible to resolve? Team America: World Police.

But in this case it was a bipartisan condemnation and that is notable:

"The resolution drew support from 129 Republicans including all three of the party’s House leaders, while 60 opposed it...".

The resolution doesn't say anything about calling for a war.  It's a condemnation of Trump's decision to pull out troops from Syria.

As far as the republicans and democrats in the House being naive, I suspect they know more about this issue than any of us.  But the escalation did seem to start as soon as Trump decided to remove American troops from North Syria.

Finally, yes, it's understandable that many Americans do not want their military being sent hither and yon to get involved in foreign wars.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, xereau said:

Its not America's job to be the world's police, and when an American president finally steps up and does the unthinkable, he is met with nothing but derision by people that call themselves 'liberals'. This truly is a clown world.

Someone is going to be the world's policeman. Would you rather it be the Russians or the Chinese?

It's in America's security and financial interest to the policeman.

Edited by nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, Baer. said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsRTOU9SUadQ0dbVgL1e6

Dude. The guy eats raw chicken with a pen.... if that doesn’t warrant a congressional condemnation, what does?

Seriously though, there is absolutely nothing that is happening in Middle East that does not have the potential to impact the economy and the security of the us of a. Like @nuckin_futz suggested... the removal of American forces will create a power vacuum that China and Russia will gladly fill.

Also, mentionable:

Abandoning allies - to be slaughtered -  who have been the boots on the ground in the fight against ISIS.

Is the escape of ISIS prisoners and a resurgence....

Massive shift in power towards Putin, Assad, and China 

Whether or not any nation on the planet will ever trust the US again

129 GOP house members sided in condemning this move because of the reasons above 

You can go a head to defend this move, it’s your right... but It would be appreciated if you could provide some actual tangible information that defends this proven incompetent clown is an actual victim, that would be great. Maybe it’s his affinity to eating raw chicken, I don’t know, but something is definitely wrong with this man.

Edited by Canorth
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Canorth said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsRTOU9SUadQ0dbVgL1e6

Dude. The guy eats raw chicken with a pen.... if that doesn’t warrant a congressional condemnation, what does?

Seriously though, there is absolutely nothing that is happening in Middle East that does not have the potential to impact the economy and the security of the us of a. Like @nuckin_futz suggested... the removal of American forces will create a power vacuum that China and Russia will gladly fill.

Also, mentionable:

Abandoning allies - to be slaughtered -  who have been the boots on the ground in the fight against ISIS.

Is the escape of ISIS prisoners and a resurgence....

Massive shift in power towards Putin, Assad, and China 

Whether or not any nation on the planet will ever trust the US again

129 GOP house members sided in condemning this move because of the reasons above 

You can go a head to defend this move, it’s your right... but It would be appreciated if you could provide some actual tangible information that defends this proven incompetent clown is an actual victim, that would be great. Maybe it’s his affinity to eating raw chicken, I don’t know, but something is definitely wrong with this man.

Russia already has their foot in the door in Syria. That's not new.

Withdrawal from a conflict does not equal abandoning in another. As I stated I do not believe it is the USA's job to be world peacekeepers.

I don't need to state any "tangible information" when I am posting my opinion. That's what an opinion is. I don't need to prove anything to you. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. You can check your trump derangement at the door.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 1