The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syria vs Turkey vs Kurds escalation

kurtis

Just now, Baer. said:

Russia already has their foot in the door in Syria. That's not new.

Withdrawal from a conflict does not equal abandoning in another. As I stated I do not believe it is the USA's job to be world peacekeepers.

I don't need to state any "tangible information" when I am posting my opinion. That's what an opinion is. I don't need to prove anything to you. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. Nor did I state Trump was a victim of anything. You can check your trump derangement at the door.

The only “Trump Derangement” going on is by his blind supporters who refuse to see the world beyond how he describes it in his tweets. 

Your entire post was implicating that he is a victim, if you can’t understand that I’m certainly not going to understand it for you.

I realize it is your opinion. That’s quite obvious. I was looking for what formed this opinion... 

Of course Russia has a footing in Syria, only now it is significantly stronger.

Withdrawal from a conflict that IMMEDIATELY leaves allies to be slaughtered is not only abandoning, it’s a betrayal of allied forces who fought under US support and the US’s best interest. 

Again... 129 Republican house members voted for this. Yet here you are trying to make an equivalence with the way he eats chicken...

You’re not good at this. However, most people with your “opinion” usually aren’t.

War in Syria has been all about the regime change.

Arming the “rebels” allowing thousands of jihadists to go and fight against Assad.

Bosnia and Kosovo are basically U.S protectorate but still hundreds of people have gone to fight In Syria.

I feel bad for Kurds because they have been treated terribly by Sadam, Assad and Turks.

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

War in Syria has been all about the regime change.

Arming the “rebels” allowing thousands of jihadists to go and fight against Assad.

Bosnia and Kosovo are basically U.S protectorate but still hundreds of people have gone to fight In Syria.

I feel bad for Kurds because they have been treated terribly by Sadam, Assad and Turks.

It was never a peaceful demonstration. Assad isn't a great guy, but the country was a lot better off before the West and certain middle eastern countries tried to destabilize it. Just look at what happed in Libya. Syria would have been much worse then it currently is if the FSA ( Fake Syrian Army) won.. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, kurtis said:

It was never a peaceful demonstration. Assad isn't a great guy, but the country was a lot better off before the West and certain middle eastern countries tried to destabilize it. Just look at what happed in Libya. Syria would have been much worse then it currently is if the FSA ( Fake Syrian Army) won.. 

Unfortunately Iraq, Syria and Libya were better off under their dictators.

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Unfortunately Iraq, Syria and Libya were better off under their dictators.

It does seem like that, doesn't it?

Given the many and different religious/national/economic tensions in this region, perhaps you need a psychopathic strongman to keep things in order.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Given the many and different religious/national/economic tensions in this region, perhaps you need a psychopathic strongman to keep things in order.

That's exactly it and the United States props these strong men up.

The US armed Saddam during the Iraq Iran war and armed the Mujahedeen to fight the Soviets.

Moral of the story everywhere the US has gone post ww2 they have f'd it up save for Eastern Europe, however I have a friend from there and he claims he wouldn't be surprised to see clashes/war in the next decade. Surprised me actually. @CBH1926 likely can elaborate on that better.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:34 PM, UnkNuk said:

Isn't your description of the relationship between the Turks and Kurds the same as what the article says?:

"...but as someone who has studied this particular history, I can assure you that the tension between Turks and Kurds is not centuries old. It is actually about one century old, and it’s the result of a very modern force: nationalism."

As far as Trump not having anything to do with this latest fighting or it being absurd to blame him for it, it seems the US congress disagrees:

"The House on Wednesday delivered a bipartisan condemnation of President Trump’s decision to withdraw American forces just inside Syria’s border, registering broad opposition in Congress to a move that has thrown the region into bloody chaos and unraveled Middle East policy."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/us/politics/house-vote-trump-syria.html

The House of Representatives, which has a clear Democratic majority, condemned Trump? That is just shocking.

The question is does the USA have a responsibility to use military force to prevent global conflict? It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. The USA sends in troops, the world goes nuts. The USA doesn't send in troops, the world also goes nuts.

As for the conflict between Turks and Kurds, the author is clearly being facetious or they are just ignorant. The Kurds and Turks have been competing powers in the region for many centuries. Yes, they did cooperate to gang up on Assyrian, Greeks, etc.. in the region about 100 years ago. It's all a bit of a moot point anyways, the conflict, in the present, is very deep rooted.

18 minutes ago, taxi said:

The House of Representatives, which has a clear Democratic majority, condemned Trump? That is just shocking.

The question is does the USA have a responsibility to use military force to prevent global conflict? It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. The USA sends in troops, the world goes nuts. The USA doesn't send in troops, the world also goes nuts.

As for the conflict between Turks and Kurds, the author is clearly being facetious or they are just ignorant. The Kurds and Turks have been competing powers in the region for many centuries. Yes, they did cooperate to gang up on Assyrian, Greeks, etc.. in the region about 100 years ago. It's all a bit of a moot point anyways, the conflict, in the present, is very deep rooted.

2/3s of the Republicans in the house also joined in that condemnation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So the US should stay out of these things, I think most of us agree. That being said you can't be involved like this(that's me putting it nice cuz I don't want a debate on the US) and then walk out on them. Old man Bush did this to the Kurds and Nixon did this to the south Vietnamese and in both cases there was mass slaughtering that followed. 

Edited by Ryan Strome

41 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the US should stay out of these things, I think most of us agree. That being said you can't be involved like this(that's me putting it nice cuz I don't want a debate on the US) and then walk out on them. Old man Bush did this to the Kurds and Nixon did this to the south Vietnamese and in both cases there was mass slaughtering that followed. 

Funny thing is, today probably has that country with the most (or in that area) favorable opinion of America.  And that's after all the destruction inflicted on that country during that "police action".  Granted that might be a case of fearing the territorial ambitions of one other giant in the area.

What an incredible waste of lives (on both sides).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Funny thing is, today probably has that country with the most (or in that area) favorable opinion of America.  And that's after all the destruction inflicted on that country during that "police action".  Granted that might be a case of fearing the territorial ambitions of one other giant in the area.

What an incredible waste of lives (on both sides).

You know I was just watching a documentary on the Korean war a few nights ago, sure I had some knowledge of it but I never realized the amount of Korean's who lost their lives in that war.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They all face the same issues too.... Muslim extremists.  

Regime change brought that on, when Hussein was alive he was hated by the fundamentalists.

Also I know lot of people that worked in those countries in the 1980’s.

Christians were treated way better in comparison to gulf states, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia etc.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Things have gotten way worse since those despots got removed.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, xereau said:

Its not America's job to be the world's police, and when an American president finally steps up and does the unthinkable, he is met with nothing but derision by people that call themselves 'liberals'. This truly is a clown world.

The troops aren't coming home, they've been moved to Iraq. 

• Upvote 2