The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver/NJ

WCE

To NJ Eriksson, Baertschi & Goldobin 

To Van Simmonds & Street

Devils being 0 - 5 to start the season Simmonds 1 pt in 5 games, Street a home town guy. 

Eriksson I could see on a line with Boquist and Bratt, Baertschi with Hischier maybe.

If they want help I'd expect a little bit more in return... Loui may be in the press box but at this point in time Simmonds isn't so hot either (1 point in 5 games).

It's also not like we need to trade any of these guys since Sven and Goldie are already buried in the minors and we can bring them up with any winger injuries.

Loui could probably legitimately help them on the defensive end since he's still a decent two-way guy (they're 2nd worst in goals against only behind LA and the Peg), and Sven/ Goldie are only a season removed from posting top-6 type scoring rates (they've only scored more than Arizona, and they're tied with the also-winless Sens with 9 goals for).

Maybe they add a mid-round pick as well?  (I'd also change the ask from Ben Street to Kevin Rooney who looks to be decent in draws, at least from a small sample size).  I do like the idea of getting Simmonds for his edge (has his physicality begun to decline?  Haven't kept up), though it might also further edge out Jake and also takes Leivo's spot since we're not moving anyone from the actual roster but adding a roster player, so we might need further moves.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Who would do this one? (just for kix)

LouiE the sloth, Markstrom, Quinn Hughes

NJ: Cory Schneider, Ty Smith. 2020 1st(unprotected)

Risky..but could land two top-10 picks in a highly-regarded draft

Marky over schneider at this point.

Hughes over Smith 

Eriksson is a cost the canucks won't pay other teams to take, he will be bought out or traded for equal salary.

That's a strong NO from me daaawg.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Marky over schneider at this point.

Hughes over Smith 

Eriksson is a cost the canucks won't pay other teams to take, he will be bought out or traded for equal salary.

That's a strong NO from me daaawg.

Yeah..don't think I'd do it either. Just tried to make it evenly-balanced/debatable, from both team's pov.

Who knows how much NJ would cough up to unite the Bros. for the next decade?

You understand the 2020 1st is going to Van(from NJ) right?

Two other interesting incentives(for Canucks)

- Ty Smith would have 3 full yrs of ELC contract

- All cap concerns would be past with such a deal

- Schneids/Demko would prob be 40/40..you'd be gambling that the kid would eventually replace/surpass Markstrom. CS would just match Loui's terrible cap, but used more effectively(one would hope)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

Yes i understand the 1st.

If NJD wants the Hughes bros, i would want a better player back as the canucks have never had a d man like Quinn, A player NJD don't have.

Hughes will likely out up more points over his career then Rasmus Dahlin, although not as good of an all around D man.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Yes i understand the 1st.

If NJD wants the Hughes bros, i would want a better player back as the canucks have never had a d man like Quinn, A player NJD don't have.

Hughes will likely out up more points over his career then Rasmus Dahlin, although not as good of an all around D man.

It's SO difficult to make such a gamble. Van has never had an O talent like Quinn on the blueline. But imagine if the 2020 1st was a top pick & you landed that LaCoutre(?) or Byfield...

No, I'd insist NJ keep adding.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's SO difficult to make such a gamble. Van has never had an O talent like Quinn on the blueline. But imagine if the 2020 1st was a top pick & you landed that LaCoutre(?) or Byfield...

No, I'd insist NJ keep adding.

Q.Hughes

For 

Hischier+2020 1st + 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WCE said:

To NJ Eriksson, Baertschi & Goldobin 

To Van Simmonds & Street

Devils being 0 - 5 to start the season Simmonds 1 pt in 5 games, Street a home town guy. 

Eriksson I could see on a line with Boquist and Bratt, Baertschi with Hischier maybe.

No to Simmonds.   He’s old and expensive and signed to a multi year long term contract if I understand correctly (I can’t access capfriendly or other team cap sites on my phone in China but I seem to recall him being signed long term).

I’d keep atleast one of Goldobin or Baertschi for now since they give us some solid depth (for what seems like the first time in many years).   If someone on our 2nd line gets injured for instance, guys like Baertschi, Goldobin, and even Eriksson could be decent fillers.    The last thing I want after all these years is to see the Canucks freefall after a few injuries.   Let us actually enjoy our depth for a change.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

No to Simmonds.   He’s old and expensive and signed to a multi year long term contract if I understand correctly (I can’t access capfriendly or other team cap sites on my phone in China but I seem to recall him being signed long term).

I’d keep atleast one of Goldobin or Baertschi for now since they give us some solid depth (for what seems like the first time in many years).   If someone on our 2nd line gets injured for instance, guys like Baertschi, Goldobin, and even Eriksson could be decent fillers.    The last thing I want after all these years is to see the Canucks freefall after a few injuries.   Let us actually enjoy our depth for a change.

Simmonds is on a 1 year deal @ 5M and plays a style of game that makes him attractive for playoff bound teams. Trade doesn't make sense for the Devils. New Jersey can probably trade him to a playoff team at the deadline and probably recoup a 2nd while retaining some salary. There might be a trade available for Eriksson somewhere but this isn't it. 

Devils wont make this trade, 1 yr of simmonds or 3 of a more expensive LE. Deivls worst case retain 50% and send him off for a draft pick at the deadline. Would love to somehow move LE tho!

To move LE we need to retain, likely the full 50% and add a pick or prospect. Have to think someone would take a flyer on him at 3m, especially if they can send back a guy making similar but with a less term in a perfect world.

This is why I am a big component of moving Tanev later in the season and or Sutter if a team comes calling. Use a pick or 2 to dump LE while still keeping a pick per round or damn close to that for the 2020 draft

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Who would do this one? (just for kix)

LouiE the sloth, Markstrom, Quinn Hughes

NJ: Cory Schneider, Ty Smith. 2020 1st(unprotected)

Risky..but could land two top-10 picks in a highly-regarded draft

Thing is with the 1st....who's to say with Quinn and Marky and Ericksson, they don't do the St. Louis after getting 3 pieces?

It could be CS (terrible GAA and Save %), Smith (good) and a 2020 17OA ……...not for Quinn by himself

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thing is with the 1st....who's to say with Quinn and Marky and Ericksson, they don't do the St. Louis after getting 3 pieces?

It could be CS (terrible GAA and Save %), Smith (good) and a 2020 17OA ……...not for Quinn by himself

I know..the date would be a factor here. It would have to be after it's virtually guaranteed NJ won't make the PO's(say wayy back points in January).

Maybe we too have health issues(again!) & know it ain't our year, but Jacob & Thatcher are both playing well.

Perhaps NJ sell Hall(another separate deal, landing nice futures) so they're willing to gamble a high pick, in order to unite the bros?

44 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I know..the date would be a factor here. It would have to be after it's virtually guaranteed NJ won't make the PO's(say wayy back points in January).

Maybe we too have health issues(again!) & know it ain't our year, but Jacob & Thatcher are both playing well.

Perhaps NJ sell Hall(another separate deal, landing nice futures) so they're willing to gamble a high pick, in order to unite the bros?

They are discussing extension with Taylor Hall.  NJD is on their way up and are now trying to replace their lesser players with skills.  Eriksson is a step back.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well, I guess we are going to see how Thatcher plays now that Marky is on personal leave......

But, I just don't think trading Quinn away is a good idea.....

Not to worried about Marky really, as he is going to slowly age out over the next 4 to 5 years, even if he is elite

Which I do not think he is...……(for another time)

Anyways, it is always something to think about

• Cheers 1