The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers sign Chris Stewart

5 hours ago, Neil HD said:

I remember the days when he was brought up as a potential Sedin linemate around our forum. How the times change

Anyone that was a "power forward" was suggested for the Sedins, but it rarely worked out (especially if they're slow guys). They needed a guy to chase the puck to start the cycle and be in the right position. I think someone like JT Miller would've been excellent with the Sedins because of this.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I see him producing more than our Schaller!

I'll take Schaller. I've always been a fan, as much as he has been a whipping boy on CDC.

Can kill penalties, has enough speed to be a 4th line fore-checker. Enough size to -play match ups/ Nothing ground breaking. Useful.

Stewart, a slow guy who can handle the puck and fight does not interest me.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stewart signs with a team that doesn't have to play the Canucks in 2020.  I wonder why...

tryamkin-hits.gif

Lets be real here. He would DESTROY Tryamkin in an actual fight. He is one of the best out there. Built like a fridge too at 242 lbs at just 6'2". 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Lets be real here. He would DESTROY Tryamkin in an actual fight. He is one of the best out there. Built like a fridge too at 242 lbs at just 6'2". 

Tryamkin isn't just big, he's an actual giant.  He close to 270 pounds and ragdolled a guy who is 242 pounds.  I'm not saying Tryamkin would win the fight but if he was mad enough he could probably hold his own, especially with the long reach.  Chara wasn't much of a fighter in his early days but once he learned how to use his reach to his advantage he became the best fighter out there.  Tryamkin could do the same with some lessons from Ferland and Benn.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tryamkin isn't just big, he's an actual giant.  He close to 270 pounds and ragdolled a guy who is 242 pounds.  I'm not saying Tryamkin would win the fight but if he was mad enough he could probably hold his own, especially with the long reach.  Chara wasn't much of a fighter in his early days but once he learned how to use his reach to his advantage he became the best fighter out there.  Tryamkin could do the same with some lessons from Ferland and Benn.  

Yeah no lol. Any time he is up against an established heavy weight fighter, he wrestles them down rather than throwing hands. 

On 10/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Who did he “ragdoll” who was close to 242lbs?  Getzlaf?  Not sure about his fighting (have watched the limited action on hockeyfights.com - yeah he could take some lessons for sure)... Stewart is now the reigning heavyweight champ, better then anyone left in the league, rarely loses and his quality of competition is better then anyone else by a large margin because he’s old enough to been around when the league still had top fighters.   I’d have him as our 13th forward in a heartbeat.  Actually has good hands too.   Only Reaves, Wilson, Lucic and maybe McAuaid if he got a job could stand up to him.

Chara initially came in as an enforcer, your right he definitely got better but also fought a lot less after OTT realized he had game too....and the big guys tended to stay away, remember Bryan McAbe talking about trying to fight him and Chara literally threw him around like a rag (all 225lbs of him).   Most impressive bout IMO against that Monster in CHI, Trees height and weight left him bleeding all over the ice.   If Tree can learn to do that I will never worry about our players while he’s around.   

Myers is basically Chara’s height, add Tree that’s 14 feet on skates between the two of them...and both guys are mobile...will be a tough decision to see who goes down, my bet is Benn would get traded (he’s on a great contract, considered one of the best bargains this summer) - maybe Stecher. 

On 10/16/2019 at 10:15 PM, RRypien37 said:

Yeah no lol. Any time he is up against an established heavy weight fighter, he wrestles them down rather than throwing hands. 

That’s in part because he doesn’t want to end careers.   Go watch that fight against CHI monster krejcue or whatever his name is...same weight almost same height and he injured his face and that guys only job was to fight.    Most heavyweights stayed away after he learned how to use his reach properly- early on he fought some of the best - and was so-so...as he got better at it guys tended to stay away.   I’ve read articles on Chara where he says he deliberately holds back because he doesn’t want to hurt guys and would rather give him a couple jabs then immobilize him.  If you want to talk about a bully that won’t fight the best then this topic should be about Lucic.

Early in his career when he was fighting mostly nobodies and having his way with them - then he fought Orr or someone like him, got in trouble soon after and called the refs in to help...and was ridiculed and rightly so by the media - he was fine pounding away at a smaller occasional fighter but couldn’t take on a real opponent ha ha.   Since then he had a few guys on his fight card that aren’t bad, Prout in particular. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s in part because he doesn’t want to end careers.   Go watch that fight against CHI monster krejcue or whatever his name is...same weight almost same height and he injured his face and that guys only job was to fight.    Most heavyweights stayed away after he learned how to use his reach properly- early on he fought some of the best - and was so-so...as he got better at it guys tended to stay away.   I’ve read articles on Chara where he says he deliberately holds back because he doesn’t want to hurt guys and would rather give him a couple jabs then immobilize him.  If you want to talk about a bully that won’t fight the best then this topic should be about Lucic.

Early in his career when he was fighting mostly nobodies and having his way with them - then he fought Orr or someone like him, got in trouble soon after and called the refs in to help...and was ridiculed and rightly so by the media - he was fine pounding away at a smaller occasional fighter but couldn’t take on a real opponent ha ha.   Since then he had a few guys on his fight card that aren’t bad, Prout in particular. 

Totally true about Lucic.  Guy is a pretender.  He has a point this year!  :lol:  Four more years of what Lucic brings Flames.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally true about Lucic.  Guy is a pretender.  He has a point this year!  :lol:  Four more years of what Lucic brings Flames.  

He was invisible last night. He has turned into the NHL's most expensive, and slowest, fore checker. Turns away from a lot of hits because he's to late to get there for a legal hit. He's a shadow of his formal self and the leugue has passed him by. So glad he isn't a Canuck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

He was invisible last night. He has turned into the NHL's most expensive, and slowest, fore checker. Turns away from a lot of hits because he's to late to get there for a legal hit. He's a shadow of his formal self and the leugue has passed him by. So glad he isn't a Canuck.

And Lucic has a full NMC.  He can’t even be sent to the minors.  He must take a roster spot!  :lol:

Didn’t Neal score AGAIN last game?  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Lucic has a full NMC.  He can’t even be sent to the minors.  He must take a roster spot!  :lol:

Didn’t Neal score AGAIN last game?  

Worse trade CAL has made in some time AND with EDM which must really burn the their fans.   If all they wanted was a tough guy, why didn’t they just find one in the minors and trade for him?  Neal was buried in their depth chart last year, maybe if he wasn’t he would have scored 30 goals for them last year and again this year...how many years does he have 20 plus goals?  Like 10 or more wont bother looking it up, I’m sure he will add another four before he’s done in EDM....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Also the guy you are referring to is Koci. He may have been a big 6'6 fighter but he wasn't very good. He was a punching bag for many. I still maintain Chara isn't anywhere near as skilled a fighter as most. Take away the reach and he would get fed by 90% of fighters in the league.