The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possible Canucks trade looming

cuporbust

I have a legit inside source very familiar with the Benn situation and how unhappy he is in Dallas since being called out by Lites last season. Apparently he agreed to waive his NTC to LAK last year since his GF lived there, but the trade fell through at the last minute. He is no longer with her so they are out of the picture, but talks with Jordie every day and wants to come home to BC. My source even said that Gallardi recently had a meeting at his Vancity home with some of his execs to discuss some "high level" items. Could be trade related, coach related or front office. My source works for the Stars so I have no reason to doubt something is in the air. I say give them a few more games to turn it around or someone is on the way out. Keep in mind as well that Little Things has a house here. I mentioned something along the lines of LE, Demko and a 2nd for Benn and he said that if things keep trending the way they are, it might be enough to get it done. Anyhoo, it is something to keep an eye on for sure since Benn can decide where he wants to go ALA Kesler. Don't shoot the messenger lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I have a legit inside source very familiar with the Benn situation and how unhappy he is in Dallas since being called out by Lites last season. Apparently he agreed to waive his NTC to LAK last year since his GF lived there, but the trade fell through at the last minute. He is no longer with her so they are out of the picture, but talks with Jordie every day and wants to come home to BC. My source even said that Gallardi recently had a meeting at his Vancity home with some of his execs to discuss some "high level" items. Could be trade related, coach related or front office. My source works for the Stars so I have no reason to doubt something is in the air. I say give them a few more games to turn it around or someone is on the way out. Keep in mind as well that Little Things has a house here. I mentioned something along the lines of LE, Demko and a 2nd for Benn and he said that if things keep trending the way they are, it might be enough to get it done. Anyhoo, it is something to keep an eye on for sure since Benn can decide where he wants to go ALA Kesler. Don't shoot the messenger lol. 

Given expansion that might be something Benning does. I'd have to think some other team would give Dallas more but that NMC puts him in the drivers seat for sure. 

The big reason it doesn't happen tho is cap. How do we fit in Benn, Petey and Hughes and keep Boeser and Bo down the road? 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Given expansion that might be something Benning does. I'd have to think some other team would give Dallas more but that NMC puts him in the drivers seat for sure. 

The big reason it doesn't happen tho is cap. How do we fit in Benn, Petey and Hughes and keep Boeser and Bo down the road? 

Cap is a good point for sure, but teams have a way of making these moves work if it can benefit them both. If we could for the sake of cap space add LE and possibly Baer's salary we could make it work. I think Baer would do well in their system and if not, the Texas Stars are a damn good team right outside of Austin which is a very appealing place to live. When I mentioned Demko, my buddy said that Oettinger has a similar upside, but is still a few years away while Bish and Dobby are only getting older. There is also the possibility that Dallas retains some salary to make it work as well. Like I said, he brought it up to me and our teammates after a meeting Saturday and said the state of the Stars is not good right now. Especially considering the moves they made to get Pavs and Perry. I told him Tanev makes the most sense as Methot was not the defensive dman they hoped for and Tanny would be able to insulate Heiskenen or even Klinger who are both much more offensive minded. 

• Cheers 1

@Odjick29willkillyoui do believe you on your source but why would they trade him for even worst players back in Baer and LE for same amount of salary. Demko as sweetener won't cut it. His cap is high and he does need a change but I'd expect DAL to eat 2.5 mill of cap leaving 7 mill. But Canucks paying more than what you propose. 

If they dump Benn Dallas not taking 6 mill back in LE. Benn at 9.5 is better for them because at least he's still able to play. LE is done. I expect LE to collect his check this year and retire next summer after collecting his bonus money July 1st. 

I'd say something like Demko and Gaudette for Benn with DAL eating 2.5 to 3 mill cap. But then we have to find someone to take LE to make Benn fit under our cap. 

It'll be difficult to do but possible I guess. 

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Could you imagine if Benning pulled that off

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

@Odjick29willkillyoui do believe you on your source but why would they trade him for even worst players back in Baer and LE for same amount of salary. Demko as sweetener won't cut it. His cap is high and he does need a change but I'd expect DAL to eat 2.5 mill of cap leaving 7 mill. But Canucks paying more than what you propose. 

If they dump Benn Dallas not taking 6 mill back in LE. Benn at 9.5 is better for them because at least he's still able to play. LE is done. I expect LE to collect his check this year and retire next summer after collecting his bonus money July 1st. 

I'd say something like Demko and Gaudette for Benn with DAL eating 2.5 to 3 mill cap. But then we have to find someone to take LE to make Benn fit under our cap. 

It'll be difficult to do but possible I guess. 

tbh I don't see how it gets done without them taking LE. There's just no way we move him and bring on another 9.5, there's just no way. Unless Benning wants to go full Dubas and burn a 1st sending Loui somewhere, which I don't want to see.

Benn isn't playing well right now, or at least like a guy that wants to be there. Loui + Demko + AG would actually help them now and in the future. Not going to hold my breath tho. 

• Upvote 1

He did not mention LE or Baer in the possible scenario. That is more on me since we need to clear cap space and LE has a home here in Dallas. Demko, Gaud and a pick would be feasible and give them another young center which outside of Hintz they need. He did say that Tanev makes a ton of sense and would be a great safety net for their younger D if he can stay healthy.  Acquiring a player like Benn would essentially accelerate our window to try and win now rather than a year or more down the road. He made a comment that Jamie played different and seemed happier with Jordie here. I cannot imagine that he would not love to be reunited with him in their hometown where they could essentially retire together. My source is also a BC boy who knows the Benn's very well. Last season the local sports radio station talked about the Stars ad nauseum and this season they are usually somewhere behind the Cowboys, Mavs and NASCAR lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

He did not mention LE or Baer in the possible scenario. That is more on me since we need to clear cap space and LE has a home here in Dallas. Demko, Gaud and a pick would be feasible and give them another young center which outside of Hintz they need. He did say that Tanev makes a ton of sense and would be a great safety net for their younger D if he can stay healthy.  Acquiring a player like Benn would essentially accelerate our window to try and win now rather than a year or more down the road. He made a comment that Jamie played different and seemed happier with Jordie here. I cannot imagine that he would not love to be reunited with him in their hometown where they could essentially retire together. My source is also a BC boy who knows the Benn's very well. Last season the local sports radio station talked about the Stars ad nauseum and this season they are usually somewhere behind the Cowboys, Mavs and NASCAR lol. 

How much value does Benn have considering his contract is kind of gross - 6 more seasons at 9.5 million.  I'd rather just keep Loui.  He costs a lot less, and will be retiring soon anyway.  Dallas has messed up their cap.  Too bad for them.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much value does Benn have considering his contract is kind of gross - 6 more seasons at 9.5 million.  I'd rather just keep Loui.  He costs a lot less, and will be retiring soon anyway.  Dallas has messed up their cap.  Too bad for them.  

Yeah that contract is scary. I would only do it on a low risk/high reward scenario. That is why I alluded to Kes and how he lowballed us while Anaheim did not give up much at all. If we resign Marky, the Demko lottery situation could come in to play. I am not saying I am for it, but more or less just telling y'all what I was told. If the ship is not righted soon here in Dallas, something has got to give because Gallardi tends to be impatient.   

10 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I’ll say it again, people only want Benn because he’s a local boy. If he were from anywhere else they’d want nothing to do with him. His contract is an albatross, and his play is on the decline and at his age he isn’t likely to see a resurgence. On top of that he has character issues. Hard pass.

So a guy who gives a lot of his time to local charities and who is active in the community has character issues? I won't disagree on the contract and decline in his play, but I happen to be fortunate to be around some of the players and the alumni often. Can you cite these "character issues?" 

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Find me a player who doesn’t do charity work. Aside from crying and wanting to leave after being called out for playing poorly? If you want specific examples, there’s the comments he made about the Sedins over the radio. If you want to say he’s grown up since then, just this summer he was harassing my sister at a bar in Victoria. Which is behaviour I wouldn’t really expect from a 30 year old man.

Jamie Benn is too old, and has a contract that pays way too much for way too long.  JB would have no interest in Jamie Benn.  As for Jamie's character issues, that really doesn't factor in to us not wanting him.  It's his age, contract, and play that rules him out.  

How old is your sister?  If he was being friendly with a woman close to his age, in an appropriate manner, that's okay by me.  

39 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I’ll say it again, people only want Benn because he’s a local boy. If he were from anywhere else they’d want nothing to do with him. His contract is an albatross, and his play is on the decline and at his age he isn’t likely to see a resurgence. On top of that he has character issues. Hard pass.

I agree. I pass as well. Trade for a guy like Palmieri or Zucker instead. That will shore up our top 6.

Benn @ 9.5 mill 6 more years. Horrible contact. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I agree. I pass as well. Trade for a guy like Palmieri or Zucker instead. That will shore up our top 6.

Benn @ 9.5 mill 6 more years. Horrible contact. 

Zucker might be available too, right?  I wonder what the trade cost would be for him?  I wouldn't want to pay too too much, and upset our apple cart here.  I've heard Jake for Zucker, but Jake sure looked good on Bo's wing last game.  He played 14 minutes of 5 on 5 too.  I do like Zucker though.  He is a lot like JT Miller.  

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jamie Benn is too old, and has a contract that pays way too much for way too long.  JB would have no interest in Jamie Benn.  As for Jamie's character issues, that really doesn't factor in to us not wanting him.  It's his age, contract, and play that rules him out.  

How old is your sister?  If he was being friendly with a woman close to his age, in an appropriate manner, that's okay by me.  

Well... to be fair, Jamie isn't too old.. at his prime age now but I do believe he could be going downhill soon in less than 2 years... and I agree it's such a risky investment for $9.5M hit for 5 more seasons when we'll have to cough up big $ to keep EP40, Hughes, Boeser, etc... 

But we do need a guy like Jamie to take us to the next level... a power forward that can produce consistently. Miller and Ferland will no doubt help lots but we are missing just one more guy to take us far into the playoffs! 

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

21. Apparently he came up to her, patted her on the head and pointed at the floor. Then kept calling her short over and over again. Not the most nefarious thing but it is extremely juvenile. When I say ‘character issues’ I don’t mean that he’s a scumbag, just that he’s incredibly immature, and I was adding that to the list of reasons why I wouldn’t trade for him in a throw away sense. The main reasons are what you outlined above.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Well... to be fair, Jamie isn't too old.. at his prime age now but I do believe he could be going downhill soon in less than 2 years... and I agree it's such a risky investment for $9.5M hit for 5 more seasons when we'll have to cough up big $ to keep EP40, Hughes, Boeser, etc... 

But we do need a guy like Jamie to take us to the next level... a power forward that can produce consistently. Miller and Ferland will no doubt help lots but we are missing just one more guy to take us far into the playoffs! 

Isn't Benn 30?  He's already in decline IMO.  For what he provides, he's way overpaid, and would just kill our cap going forward.  A lot of chatter about the players wanting the cap to better reflect the actual revenues too, so it's likely not to go up for a while.   

• Upvote 2