The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brashear Working at Timmies

Rate this topic

I would have assumed that he could have gotten some hockey related gig.  Like a scout for a minor league team or some fitness coach for a junior club (wasn't he training for the MMA at one point?)

One bright side, since he played a lot of games in the NHL, he would get pension from the NHL(PA) when he reaches 60+

3 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

They wrote in the article that's its a new franchise and Donald's helping them out or vice versa. Either way, I look at this as marketing. We don't know how much he is getting paid in reality and I am sure he would get hired in some role related to hockey in seconds if he wanted to.

Maybe he isn't capable of functioning in that type of role? Some people don't want that pressure. Or do want that pressure, but things like having another man swing a hockey stick across your head has now limited your aptitude for that type of position. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Maybe he isn't capable of functioning in that type of role? Some people don't want that pressure. Or do want that pressure, but things like having another man swing a hockey stick across your head has now limited your aptitude for that type of position. 

This too, but I hope not. Hope he is in a good place mentally.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Exactly this. There are thousands of Canadians working this type of job. Some of them like it. Just go to a small town and you'll see that not everyone has the same dreams/life goals.

This article is not only insulting to Brashear, but insulting to the people that get up every day and work this kind of job. 

And also, nobody is proud to work at Tim Hortons. Least of all a former millionaire athlete. They do it to survive. All this article does is draw pity/mockery to people at a low point in their life, which is the last thing they want.

• Upvote 2

Nothing wrong with working at Timmies.

A man that can take the ups and downs of life and keep doing whatever it takes to keep feeding his family (or whatever his reasons) is a man worthy of respect.

Also, did anyone see this take? Ha - idiots.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by nzan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brash was in the 1990's-2000's where players were making no where near the money they do now.

Oh come on...we're not talking about the 50's here.

According to CapFriendly estimates, Brashear made over $16 million dollars in his career (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/donald-brashear). He made about $1M more than Jay Beagle has earned so far (Jay will pass him by a few million by the time he's done, mostly due to the contract he signed with the Canucks. But if you adjust for inflation Jay's probably going to make less in adjusted dollars).

I was a big Brashear fan back in the day. But let's face it - he blew his money on drugs, and legal battles over being found with drugs. And really, is it that sad that somebody in their 40's has to work for a living? Probably not a great standard of living, but it's pretty much his own fault. At least he still seems to be functioning well, unlike some of the guys who had more problems with C.T.E.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, wiseupsucker said:

Isn't there a nhlpa pension that he also has? If you get creative there's plenty more career options to fall back on.

Some of these guys sell off their retirement pensions to financial institutions for a quick lump sum of cash.  Then they go and blow the cash on drugs or whatever.

• Cheers 1

Just now, hockeygod77 said:

he will still make more than rest of us..nhl pension is pretty good...

Some of these guys sell off their retirement pensions to financial institutions for a quick lump sum of cash.  Then they go and blow the cash on drugs or whatever.

10 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

no they cant i know annul player retired...cant get out its a monthly payment...besides he has other pensions and benefits an ex nhl player..cant be rock bottom..they say that but a guy can only do so much evil stuff..

Yes, you most certainly can sell any and all types of structured payments.  They even advertise about it on TV. 

You receive a lump sum from a financial institution and they receive your monthly payments until the day you die or your retirement fund runs dry.  It's a rather lucrative business to be in.

Here's one such institution...

https://peachtreefinancial.com/annuities.aspx

*edit*  Also please tag or quote me next time so I know that you've responded.

Edited by SabreFan1

Tbh I'm actually surprised he didn't receive a huge settlement from the NHL or McSorely, or continue to receive payments from the NHL for that incident, or the NHL be giving him help after he retired. The brain damage he probably recieved from being hit in the head by that stick and all the years of fighting in the NHL, when it was something the NHL wanted in the game, but not acknowledging the brain damage it created and how it can affect a person as they get older. Look at boxers and the issues they have after they retire, due to all the head hits they recieved over their career, I don't see any difference here tbh with Brashear. Imo the NHL should of been there supporting him after he retired more, so he didn't go down the road he's going down now, imo this is all on the NHL and they should be stepping in and helping him.