The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brashear Working at Timmies

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, Green Building said:

I was going to rip into the 2 goofs above, but I'll instead leave the following comment as a passive aggressive slight against them since your elevated level of compassion has overcome my initial reaction:  

Nobody in this thread knows the slightest damn thing about Brashear's plight over the last decade, and any alternative insinuation is as ignorant as the afforementioned posts above yours.  

Lawyers cost money, brain damage is permanent, but please, everyone continue to rip a dude cause he pours a &^@#ing coffee after a lifetime of choices.  

Bunch of goofs. 

Happy week after Thanksgiving. 

Feel like you missed the point of my comment. I don't feel any extra sympathy for Brashear as compared to other Timmies employees. Many people that find themselves working at Timmies at Brashear's age have gone to hell and back through their life. However, most of those people did not have the opportunity that he had. To pretend like Brashear should get more sympathy because he lost millions is ridiculous. I have much more sympathy for the single Mom working three minimum wage jobs to make sure her kids can eat three meals a day because Dad walked out and doesn't pay child support. She never had the opportunity that Brashear had. She deserves more sympathy than Brashear. 

Sure, Brashear has a sad story, but I don't feel bad that he's at Timmies because his life choices have brought him to that. He had life by the balls and he let his grip slip. Now he lives like the rest of us mere mortals. I feel much worse for the people that have never had an option beyond working at Timmies. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, luckylager said:

Really?

Like he actually blew it all?

Landscaping, construction, dock yards, warehouses.. he could get a gig in a lot of situations just based on the fact he is Donald Brashear. There's no way he actually works at Tim's. I'm not buying it.

The whole thing just seems off

Theo Fleury burned through over 40 million in career earnings...yes it’s possible- addiction/gambling did him with some mental illness thrown in.  Nilan - addiction same thing all gone.   Jack Johnson - bad financial advice from his parents - declared bankruptcy a few years back, a similar thing happened to Bryan Berard, former first overall whose financial advisor stole all his money - and he didn’t find out until he was retired basically (was his friend supposedly- nice friend right?).  

Brashear definitely isn’t the first NHL player to lose it all, and really, take the taxes off what he earned isn’t much different then the average professionals career earnings in a big city - it’s sad for sure.   When these guys go broke they don’t go broke like us average mortals though .... their connections help them in most cases.  Hope he can get a leg up and have a happy life, he did the toughest job in pro sports and was one of the best ever at it.  Maybe a job as a colour commentator or radio for one of the teams he played on is a possibility...would be interesting to hear some of his war stories through the eye of the beholder - enjoyed his contributions in Ice Gaurdians.  MMA is also a possibility ha ha - he whacked the crap out of his first ever fight - KO first round. 

• Cheers 2

On 10/16/2019 at 2:08 PM, Lancaster said:

I would have assumed that he could have gotten some hockey related gig.  Like a scout for a minor league team or some fitness coach for a junior club (wasn't he training for the MMA at one point?)

One bright side, since he played a lot of games in the NHL, he would get pension from the NHL(PA) when he reaches 60+

I was wondering about the pension thing as well. I don't know exactly how it works, (ie. does it start when you retire, or does it kick in at a certain age) but I'm a bit surprised that people are automatically assuming he blew it on drugs and alcohol. From what I've been reading, he's had some bad investments, which AFAIK, can burn through cash a lot faster than booze or drugs.

Maybe it was a combination of the two?

Either way, I agree with those who are criticizing the media for turning this into a story. Not only does it demean Brash himself, it also demeans anyone who works at Tims...

One thing that flies a bit under the radar and had me wondering is the fact that Brashear is actually a classically trained pianist. You'd think that if he really needed money, he could translate that talent into a source of income. Maybe a gig at a Montreal piano bar or something?

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was wondering about the pension thing as well. I don't know exactly how it works, (ie. does it start when you retire, or does it kick in at a certain age) but I'm a bit surprised that people are automatically assuming he blew it on drugs and alcohol. From what I've been reading, he's had some bad investments, which AFAIK, can burn through cash a lot faster than booze or drugs.

Maybe it was a combination of the two?

Either way, I agree with those who are criticizing the media for turning this into a story. Not only does it demean Brash himself, it also demeans anyone who works at Tims...

One thing that flies a bit under the radar and had me wondering is the fact that Brashear is actually a classically trained pianist. You'd think that if he really needed money, he could translate that talent into a source of income. Maybe a gig at a Montreal piano bar or something?

Just skimming online, it appears that players can start withdrawing at age 45 at a reduced amount or full amount at age 62 (similar concept to the CPP).  

Brashear is currently age 47... so it could be that he's just working a bit at Timmy's in the meantime to get to a certain age that can provide the retirement income that he finds sufficient.

As for your point about bad investments.... apparently quite common for pro-athletes.  

I mean Sergei Fedorov's financial advisor embezzled $43 million from him.  

I hate the whole nanny state concept... but perhaps the NHL or the PA should be mandating financial planning/management courses for all players.  Perhaps even providing a "go-to" list of advisors that has been vetted and approved or something.  

• Cheers 1