The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Valentin Zykov suspended 20 games

Rate this topic

Last time Vegas stood by Schmidt and strongly disagreed with the suspension - not this time.  His own statement:

“I’ve been informed that I am being suspended for 20 games under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.  While I haven’t been able to discover how I tested positive, I understand that I am responsible for what is in my body and will accept this penalty.  I want to apologize to my family, my teammates, and the Golden Knights organization and fans.  I will work hard during my suspension to ensure that I put myself in the best possible position to contribute to my team when my suspension is over.”

29 minutes ago, EP-40 said:

Based on his response it sounds like he wasnt even tested. How can they suspend someone they have not actually drug tested?

You must have read it wrong. Obviously they wouldn't do that. He is saying he doesn't know what he tested positive for.

Hockey is not clean, there is too much money involved. The questions is, why was Zykov caught?

a) The NHL wanted a case to prove it is serious about its PED policy and made sure it was a Russian

b) The Golden Knights are a bunch of cheaters

c) Zykov is dumb

Yesalis, who has served as a consultant to (among others) the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy, U.S. Senate Judiciary and Committees, the NFLPA, the USOC and NCAA: "Combine the availability of these drugs with the loopholes in testing -- the loopholes are so big, I could drive an M1 Abrams Tank through it, in the total darkness, without night vision on, and not scrape it. There is no suspicion among fans. Drug testing is a facade, it's only to keep politicians away, and give fans plausible deniability. They think their sport idols, the guys and gals they really like to watch perform, are naturally big and fast and strong. Frankly, I don't know if fans do care if they dope, they just don't want it shoved into their face."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25317435/why-there-more-ped-cases-nhl

• Upvote 1