Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Defensive Combination in the NHL. ?

Rate this topic


Bertorama

Recommended Posts

It was another lock solid night on the PK for the Canucks league leading 95% PK. 23-1. 
 

We were 5th in goals against in the NHL as of tonight with our back up Goalie playing 2 of those games. 

 

To add more to the story, more then just great Defence we have offensive output also placing our Defencman top of the league. 
 

If you had to Rate top three Defence in the league while looking at combined offensive output and defensive responsibility it kinda looks like we might have the Best all around Defensive setup early this season among all NHL teams on the back end and our goalies aren’t fairing so bad either.

 

We have played a few goal scoring teams thus far.  The Oilers most notable top five NHL scoring teams. 
 

Who would you rate top three NHL teams for best Defence setup I’m talking just our Defenceman. Setup meaning more the composition of offensive and defensive capability of the 6 dman we have on ice add the 7th if you want to?. I am not stating we have the best singular talent Defenceman in the league I mean best overall setup combination of talent and skill on our backend 6 or 7. What are your thoughts. ?? Am I jumping the gun too early to rate. ?

I’ll go first to help anyone in fear of getting roasted as I’m sure I’ll get some. 
 

1. Canucks 
2.  Bruins 

3. Avalanche 


 


 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Define Defence Setup. 

 

 I’m talking just our Defenceman. Setup meaning more the composition of offensive and defensive capability of the 6 dman we have on ice add the 7th if you want to?. I am not stating we have the best singular talent Defenceman in the league I mean best overall setup combination of talent and skill on our backend 6 or 7. 

Edited by Bertorama
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the pieces have been there since the July 1st signings for the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts, as evidenced by the collective play.

 

Eddie and Myers are solid all-round so it's not too surprising from them that they're a good minute-munching duo but it seems like their offensive prowess has been exceeding expectations.  Hughes was always know as dynamic but his elusiveness and maneuverability are quite something to see, even though he was projected that way since his draft, while he's also helped Tanev become the new breed of defensive D-man, jumping up into plays, and it's led to better than expected early results.  Stecher and Benn are a luxury in depth to have stashed away in the 3rd pairing so against lesser competition it's also not too surprising that they're solid.  Overall they are holding their own against their respective weight class so to speak, but I think it's the offensive end that really surprises, and I hope they keep it up.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are average, maybe above average when it comes to our defensemen. Our d-core doesn't compare to a lot of teams. As Hughes matures and having another young guy step up I see us getting better.

 

We have some real gud defensive forwards. Having a healthy Sutter is paying dividends.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bertorama said:

It was another lock solid night on the PK for the Canucks league leading 95% PK. 23-1. 
 

We were 5th in goals against in the NHL as of tonight with our back up Goalie playing 2 of those games. 

 

To add more to the story, more then just great Defence we have offensive output also placing our Defencman top of the league. 
 

If you had to Rate top three Defence in the league while looking at combined offensive output and defensive responsibility it kinda looks like we might have the Best all around Defensive setup early this season among all NHL teams on the back end and our goalies aren’t fairing so bad either.

 

We have played a few goal scoring teams thus far.  The Oilers most notable top five NHL scoring teams. 
 

Who would you rate top three NHL teams for best Defence setup I’m talking just our Defenceman. Setup meaning more the composition of offensive and defensive capability of the 6 dman we have on ice add the 7th if you want to?. I am not stating we have the best singular talent Defenceman in the league I mean best overall setup combination of talent and skill on our backend 6 or 7. What are your thoughts. ?? Am I jumping the gun too early to rate. ?

I’ll go first to help anyone in fear of getting roasted as I’m sure I’ll get some. 
 

1. Canucks 
2.  Bruins 

3. Avalanche 


 


 

Bias for sure I am sorry. Calgary, Bruins, Aves, San Jose, and even the canes have a better 6dman group then we do. We are top 15 most likely maybe top 10 once we gel more.  I do love the postiveness on the forum lately!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think we are in contention for the best D. But it IS solid and can now contribute - which is something that we couldn't say for years.

 

I think it will take another couple of years to know what we really have with our D. Hughes will become dominant - we have Woo and Juolevi on the way, and likely Tryamkin before this season ends. Edler and Tanev aren't getting any younger or less injury prone either, and I am not particularly confident we have the talent in the pipeline to fully replace what they bring.

 

I'll just relish the improvement we now have without comparisons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defense is a team wide thing, and our system = 5 man collapse, no chasing. Interrupt passes and shots, try to get the puck that way.

 

I'd like to see a little more puck pressure myself.

 

The little flips out of the zone, and just giving the puck away to the other team triggers me too.  It reeks of low confidence.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get what the OP is saying though, through 6 games our defence has performed at a level at the top of the NHL. Now, I don't think it's likely that they'll stay top 3 over a full season. But I could see us finishing in the top 12 or 14, league wide, in terms of combined team goals against plus scoring from the D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d say we have a slightly above average “composition” - of defenseman right now.   Maybe in the 10-14 range.   

 

Id say we have a top five defensive bottom six, one which we also have paid heavily to acquire so maybe we should have it. 

 

I’d also say it’s early days yet and our goalies have also played very well, it’s not like we are averaging 20 shots against per game or anything - they have played a big role in how things are going. 

 

Why don’t we wait until January before we pass judgement... heck the last couple of years we could be saying the same things with the starts we’ve had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The perks to guys like Sutter and Beagle are helping our defense look better than it might be. Talent wise I’d argue we are a middle of the pack team. Which is a testament to the coaching and the work ethic of the team. Schaller, Sutter, Beagle, Motte have all been very sound defensively. 

 

With that said I love the play of Benn, Stecher, Tanev and Edler defensively. They have been very, very good thus far. Hughes has been good, would like to see him more but he is super young. No rush to throw him out there often. Myers has been a breath of fresh air. Great skater, good offensive instincts, and willing to be creative with the puck offensively.

 

All in all good all around team defence and a much improved top 4 with the simple addition of Myers. Media wants to say we overpaid, same with some fans, but so far 6mil is good money for him. Ferland, Pearson and Miller have been huge additions too. Moving players we had in the top 6 out or down the lineup.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Bertorama said:

It was another lock solid night on the PK for the Canucks league leading 95% PK. 23-1. 
 

We were 5th in goals against in the NHL as of tonight with our back up Goalie playing 2 of those games. 

 

To add more to the story, more then just great Defence we have offensive output also placing our Defencman top of the league. 
 

If you had to Rate top three Defence in the league while looking at combined offensive output and defensive responsibility it kinda looks like we might have the Best all around Defensive setup early this season among all NHL teams on the back end and our goalies aren’t fairing so bad either.

 

We have played a few goal scoring teams thus far.  The Oilers most notable top five NHL scoring teams. 
 

Who would you rate top three NHL teams for best Defence setup I’m talking just our Defenceman. Setup meaning more the composition of offensive and defensive capability of the 6 dman we have on ice add the 7th if you want to?. I am not stating we have the best singular talent Defenceman in the league I mean best overall setup combination of talent and skill on our backend 6 or 7. What are your thoughts. ?? Am I jumping the gun too early to rate. ?

I’ll go first to help anyone in fear of getting roasted as I’m sure I’ll get some. 
 

1. Canucks 
2.  Bruins 

3. Avalanche 


 


 

A bit of a stretch to claim we have a top defence in the NHL.  Love the rose colored glasses though.  

 

For reference if we have a top 16 defence it would be a revolutionary change from the past 4 to 5 years.  

 

Our guys are off to a great start.  Every aspect of the team is better than last year except for Newell Brown and Loui Eriksson.  

 

Save this idea until the mid point of the season at the very earliest.  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

The perks to guys like Sutter and Beagle are helping our defense look better than it might be. Talent wise I’d argue we are a middle of the pack team. Which is a testament to the coaching and the work ethic of the team. Schaller, Sutter, Beagle, Motte have all been very sound defensively. 

 

With that said I love the play of Benn, Stecher, Tanev and Edler defensively. They have been very, very good thus far. Hughes has been good, would like to see him more but he is super young. No rush to throw him out there often. Myers has been a breath of fresh air. Great skater, good offensive instincts, and willing to be creative with the puck offensively.

 

All in all good all around team defence and a much improved top 4 with the simple addition of Myers. Media wants to say we overpaid, same with some fans, but so far 6mil is good money for him. Ferland, Pearson and Miller have been huge additions too. Moving players we had in the top 6 out or down the lineup.

Well said N7, what a difference a seasoned and solid  top four and top six   player makes.   All the critics that kept pointing out Myers played a bottom pairing role, and Miller was a third line forward last year - egg in face.   Plus it was never true, both guys were buried behind others with more talent on teams deep in those respective positions.   I’ve read on here Miller getting compared to Gagne simply based on stats.   

 

My initial reaction when we traded for Miller was a complete WTF.  Add in Myers (who management knew was all but in the bag), Benn and Ferland...well it’s the biggest breath of fresh air I’ve seen in one off season in a very, very long time.   Watching St Louis win the cup, league parity,  balanced lineup/cap constraints....I really really like the way things are headed.   This year and next year we might even do some damage if this team gains enough confidence and goaltending keeps it up all year.   Our bottom six is as good as it’s ever been under the cap - our defense overall is fine, and our top six will only get better in time.   Good post.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

A bit of a stretch to claim we have a top defence in the NHL.  Love the rose colored glasses though.  

 

For reference if we have a top 16 defence it would be a revolutionary change from the past 4 to 5 years.  

 

Our guys are off to a great start.  Every aspect of the team is better than last year except for Newell Brown and Loui Eriksson.  

 

Save this idea until the mid point of the season at the very earliest.  

Yep.  We can still win with 6 tied up in LE and 3 in Luongo.  LE is better then most call-ups and depth matters.  Plus when he plays we should get the best from him... agreed it’s way too early ... that said Miller is a huge upgrade on Goldobin, and Myers on Guddy and Benn on Hutton and NO Poo at all.   

 

Nice when our injury replacements were guys that used to play in the top six right?

 

Our team has a bit of a Vegas feel too it - as we have an abundance of top nine guys ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rose coloured glasses are certainly on for me as stated in your comments and I was probably a little hyped after beating the champs in their Barn. I agree that it’s probably to early to jump on the wagon of how good the potential of our group could be I disagree that we are middle of the pack though based on what I’m seeing I think that’s a cautious understatement coming from 4 years of our team lower then average it would be hard to imagine this year we become above average.
 

That being said. I’m impressed with the group thus far this season and my enthusiasm is coming from a complete lack of excitement about our team in the past 5 seasons, the fire re-ignited back for me last year with Petey and  for all of us I’d imagine. 
 

I’m hyped about our young stud QH. I haven’t been this excited about young defensive talent since the Late Luc Bourdon RIP.  Myers is new for the Canucks, we have  never had such a large and talented  addition to our back end that I recall in the past 25 seasons. I love the helmet off hit Myers Laid the other night and buried a player into the corner boards. It seemed to rubbing off on Edler who has been throwing his body too. Tanev has been more engaged on offence then I’ve ever seen and Benn just looks intimidating in that killer beard. From all the Defensive groups we have had even in the Stanley Cup run of 2011 or 1994 I think this group looks way more well rounded if they stay healthy, I think we have a better setup for playoffs toughness, size, grit and experience along with some offensive young talent that doesn’t put our net at risk. 
 

 

Edited by Bertorama
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...