The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton can't keep up this pace... Colorado can

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Oilers are more than the big 2. Kassian is playing very good hockey. Nuge and Neal solidify the 2nd line.

Chiasson just returned from injury. He'll add scoring to 3rd line. Bottomo two lines need to start scoring but they don't allow a lot of goals against. Pretty responsible defensively.

Their D is pretty good even with Larsson out LTIR with broken leg. He'll make them better upon return. The Bear kid is playing great hockey. The young Dman looks like a seasoned veteran out there.

COL is a really good team. With addition if Kadri they finally have a 2C. They will likely win the division. Watching their game vs FLD right now. AVS losing 3-1. Fun game to watch. COL giving up a lot of odd man rushes.

FLD could be a dangerous team this year. Lots of star power and their young kids are entering their prime years now.

17 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

On his current pace, McDavid will score 199 pts in the year... and that isn't the reality in today's NHL.

That's ultimate Gretzky in the days of Messier/Kurri/Coffey... and tiny Goalies with tiny pads.

It's Connor McJesus.  He will try his best to earn that mammoth contract.

20 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Everyone's talking about the Oilers as if this current win streak is sustainable... it ain't.

Just like last year, all the goals and points are coming from McDavid and Draisaitl's line.

After Neal, and a bit of Kassian, there is no production.

The reason the Coil are doing so well is their two big guns are playing lights out... but it is not sustainable.

On his current pace, McDavid will score 199 pts in the year... and that isn't the reality in today's NHL.

That's ultimate Gretzky in the days of Messier/Kurri/Coffey... and tiny Goalies with tiny pads.

So my prediction is the Coil will come crashing back down to earth.

On the other hand, when you look at the Colorado scoring, it is sustainable.

Yes, you have the AV's big boys piling up the points.... but their percentage of team scoring is nothing like McDavid... the rest of the team is chipping in their share.

I can easily see the Avalanche winning their division... they showed they were ready in last year's playoffs, and I think they want to continue that trend.

So to all you guys in the 'Chuck...   sorry, but your season start is not going to last.

I’m not so sure bout that Bud. Neal looks reborn Kassian has found his way in life happy for him and the team offence is top notch in the NHL. Their goalie seems legit so far. Defence is their weakness always but when you can score like they can who cares. 

not saying Colorado doesn’t have a good team but I’m picking Oilers to go far This season they look like they have their $H!T together this season.  barring no major injuries. 

Edited by Bertorama

Neal leading the league in Goals is an awesome story. Must be tough being a Flames fan right now. 

Analytics look rough for the Oilers, but as another poster said, McDavid and Draisatl can hit another gear and drag that team along.

Its looking like they could go 1-2 in Hart voting. Incredible duo.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Edmonton hasn't really changed that much from last year - they are off to a much better start but they still really only have one line that can score (Neal's been feasting on the powerplay) . They need scoring from their depth guys and like last year they aren't getting it. BUT you have to remember success in Edmonton means making the playoffs - not going on a deep run. And with the start they have had I think they finish top 3 in the Pacific.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, kurtis said:

They have the 2 best players in the league you could argue... But they can only go as far as those 2 guys push them. If one of them gets hurt they are screwed. 

They're screwed if they stay healthy. You need secondary scoring. Period. 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:48 PM, ruilin96 said:

Edmonton's biggest problem to me is Connor and Leon still plays way too much. 22+ minute a game will wear them out as the season go on.

I don't think their wear and tear would show up to a significant degree when they are young. I think the ramification of playing so much is that their career would decline exponentially in their late 20's and early 30's. 

Edited by Maddogy

18 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Last night proved exactly what the OP said. Shut down their 2 stars, and you blank the Oilers. It’s actually pathetic

I watched the game. Oilers played well. It was a real battle. The score 0-0 doesn't do the game justice. It was an exciting game..

Oilers played great defense against a solid game. 

Shoot outs are a crap shoot. They could have easily won the game in shoot out. 

Still got a point. Last two games combined they've allowed only 1 goal. 

On 10/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, SabreFan1 said:

and the rest of the league starts concentrating on stopping the top line, the losing will come.

I don't disagree that the oilers are going to come back down to earth (with a hearty thunk like always, I imagine), but ... what do you think the rest of the league has been doing so far? it's not exactly a secret where teams need to focus against the oilers. it's the exact same every year. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

I don't disagree that the oilers are going to come back down to earth (with a hearty thunk like always, I imagine), but ... what do you think the rest of the league has been doing so far? it's not exactly a secret where teams need to focus against the oilers. it's the exact same every year. 

McDavid and Draisaitl can't keep up this pace and carry the team forever.  Eventually they'll get slower as the season progresses.

My point was that it's doubtful that the other lines in Edmonton will pick up the slack while everyone in the league continues to hammer on their top line players. 

It's what happened to EP40 last year.  Once the league started to grind him down, the injury-ridden Canucks couldn't compete.  That's why everyone on CDC is hoping that the Canucks can actually stay healthy this year.  If they do, the playoffs will be exciting with all of the Canucks' speedy young players.  The team has the make-up of a squad that can do some damage in a series or two. 

Edmonton, not so much...

On 10/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, BrockBoester said:

It'll have to be next year because they're in our conference and there's only going to be one team from the West making it to the cup finals this year (much like every year):

The Vancouver Canucks

(also we will beat Toronto in game 7 OT to win the cup)

:emot-parrot:

No we beat them 7-1 in game 4 to sweep them, outscoring them 22-1 in the process:emot-parrot:

• Upvote 1