The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton can't keep up this pace... Colorado can

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

McDavid and Draisatl are great players.  They are playing 25 plus minutes in a lot of games.  That clearly can't continue, which means they fall in the standing.  Edmonton is in the bottom ten (again) and drafting another bustaroo.  

Plus they need to deal with all the dead wood they've accumulated over time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Doesn't Mike Smith play the modified stand-up style of goaltending like Brodeur?

I think durability isn't a factor for him.

That being said, he's still relatively unproven in the playoffs.  Either than that mini-run with the Coyotes back in 11-12, he has only 2 other 1st round exits.  

Mike Smith has been a pretty solid goalie over time. No question. When he was in Arizona he played great and that was only 2 seasons ago if I'm correct. 

Back then Dave Tippet had  a great defensive system for a low scoring team that seemingly couldn't score. 

None of the out come for Edmonton, especially if its bad will be his fault,. 

11 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Plus they need to deal with all the dead wood they've accumulated over time. 

I know, and it's all too funny!!:lol:

I accept we had our down cycles too, as do all teams.  But it's almost like the Oilers have tried to be in a constant down cycle for decades now.  

2 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I had to chuckle at Mark Spector's latest whine on Sportsnet webpage - crying about how boring the Coyotes are and how they have been a very boring team to watch for over 20 years. Even though he is right its a bit hypocritical to hack on an organization yet your team hired one of the guys who used to have the team play that style lol.  Tippet had the Coyotes play that exact same style that beat the Coilers last night - Arizona didn't get gifted 1st overalls like Deadmonton did - they have no choice but to play that style and guess what it works and they beat Spector's team. No sense crying over spilled milk.

The irony was not lost on me either

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable injury to McDavid or Draisaitl. Playing those kind of minutes every game raises the odds of them being hurt.

They will be done if that happens. 

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know, and it's all too funny!!:lol:

I accept we had our down cycles too, as do all teams.  But it's almost like the Oilers have tried to be in a constant down cycle for decades now.  

I think the Oilers never went far enough on their house cleaning. Gretzky is still there as is Lowe. Lowe being the worst in the business. 

I do think they have the right guy in Holland to clear the mess. It's just it's a huge mess left by more than one GM or management group. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I think the Oilers never went far enough on their house cleaning. Gretzky is still there as is Lowe. Lowe being the worst in the business. 

I do think they have the right guy in Holland to clear the mess. It's just it's a huge mess left by more than one GM or management group. 

Indeed, he seems like the right man to clear the mess. He just cleared the biggest mess of the previous regime, once an effective PWF but now too slow to be effective, Milan Lucic for a guy that can still keep up with the play in James Neal.

If they can continue to build better forward depth around McDavid and Draisaitl, they have chance to be competitive for many years to come.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Indeed, he seems like the right man to clear the mess. He just cleared the biggest mess of the previous regime, once an effective PWF but now too slow to be effective, Milan Lucic for a guy that can still keep up with the play in James Neal.

If they can continue to build better forward depth around McDavid and Draisaitl, they have chance to be competitive for many years to come.

IMO the Oilers are going to take too long in the rebuild process, because of the mess left behind by previous regimes, to catch the best years of McDavid and Draisatl.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, khay said:

They stated this as the plan after drafting both McDavid and Draisaitl. How many years ago has that been now? 

Vancouver has eclipsed Edmonton how many times in their development now? How many other teams have drafted and rebuilt in the time Edmonton flourishes in floundering?

Holland has a lot of mess to clear up. The team changed little over summer/ Bringing Tippet and Smith were good but Smith's shelf life let alone durability are limited. 

Swapping big contracts are only stop gap with those big numbers still on the books. Neale as we all knew is tapering off as is the whole Edmonton team.

Lets take last night for example. Edmonton got whooped by a team that had a very tough game against Vancouver the night before. 

St louis is a measuring stick, Edmonton barely registered on the stick. 

On 11/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, khay said:

Biggest mistake from the previous regime was trading Hall and Eberle for trash.

Also drafting Yak over Murray was another huge mistake. 

If they had Hall and Eberle right now, they would be the sick.

Hall-McDavid-Drai

That would be a sick top line and Eberle would have brought them some desperately need secondary scoring. 

57 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

Biggest mistake from the previous regime was trading Hall and Eberle for trash.

Also drafting Yak over Murray was another huge mistake. 

If they had Hall and Eberle right now, they would be the sick.

Hall-McDavid-Drai

That would be a sick top line and Eberle would have brought them some desperately need secondary scoring. 

Agree. But that Hall trade is irreversible. I think Holland got off to a good start by getting rid of Lucic, which had to be done and hiring of Tippet.

1 minute ago, khay said:

Agree. But that Hall trade is irreversible. I think Holland got off to a good start by getting rid of Lucic, which had to be done and hiring of Tippet.

True

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Koskinen is going to have 8 Wins 1 Loss 1 OT after today.. 4-2 going into 3rd Oilers playing very good. That 2nd period seemed like the ice was tilted.

Big 6'7 goalie playing great. Team has so much confidence in front of him. 

Their playing much better defensively than they usually do but their offense is too reliant on McDavid, Drai and Neal. 

6 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

Their playing much better defensively than they usually do but their offense is too reliant on McDavid, Drai and Neal. 

Not today Khaira has 2 goals. Baer has a PP goal. He's a great young rookie Dman  Playing more mins than any rookie in NHL 

Kass is playing great and putting up points. 15 Pts Nuge has 15 

Their pk had killed 19 straight. DAL got a lucky goal to make it with in a goal . Going to be an exciting finish.