The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We could ice a way better lineup than the one we run now

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lol

Nintendo version-hockey.

We have a greatly improved battle level and safe work environment on the roster now and you want to go back to sissy hockey. No thanks. 

right now, we don't have a clear second line, Horvat is missing a skilled winger, and our PP is a mess.

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

missed Schaller. between two of them i rather keep Motte close to the lineup.  

I’m sure we’re all expecting an early season 1/4 pole trade at some point. 

Speaking of which, both Sutter and Tanev are healthy and currently productive.

If there ever was a time to make a trade, especially for Mr. Balls, its possibly now. 

Pretty tough to trade Tanev, now, since JB bought a team that isn’t necessarily playing for tomorrow anymore. 

LE and Baer could get something, Goldy, not so much, but there’s a reason they are where they are right now. I’m looking forward to understanding the logic there once a few moves are made, or is it as simple as injuries? 

I like the roster the way it is. 

They could be tougher on the back end, but whatever. 

As as long as Marky is playing this well, the team can compete. I think it might get a bit bumpy if Marky goes down and TD is just average. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I agree with trying that line up. But I love the compete level right now. So hard making those kind of decisions. I’m glad we have the coaching staff we do!

i'm not worried about the compete level, i'm worried about the lack of skill through the lineup. everything could be optimized. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree we could be icing a line up with more balanced scoring on all 4 lines. But, Coach Green makes those decisions and I am sure he has too double think sometimes on the roster setup up when his team has been shutout TWICE already and the PP looks dreadful. Green isn't even willing to split BB and EP up for some reason...

Coach does what he wants, its his job on the line at the end of the day

27 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

with Baertschi and Goldobin at 2ppg in AHL, it's time to bring them back and address the 2nd line issue and the 2nd pp unit as well.

This is the forwards group i want to see :

Miller Petterson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Goldobin
Pearson Gaudette Sutter
Ferland Beagle Virtanen

IR Roussel
Out : Leivo, Motte
Utica : Eriksson, Schaller

PP1 :

Miller

Boeser    Horvat   Petterson

Hugues

PP2 :
                 Farland
Baertschi Gaudette Goldobin 
                 Myers

/enjoy

edit missed Schaller. between two of them i rather keep Motte close to the lineup

it is great that Baer and Goldy are doing well in Utica, it doesn't mean that if you bring them up they will be doing the same thing. a lot easier to score in Utica. they will be brought up when injuries occur.  Schaller makes one mistake and a lot of you complain. there are others on the team that make mistakes (Captain Horvat for one) should we send him down. no they try to work thru the mistakes, you don't give up on players so early in the season

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Goldy always does this, tho. Domination at the AHL level means nothing when he seems incapable of doing anything impactful at the NHL level.

My take on Goldy was that he was half a second slow in the NHL. Great ice vision and a bit slower AHL probably works for him. That set up for Big Mac the other day was a real heads up play. 

I am sure that Green and Benning have the season broken up into 10 game increments. They won't let Gaudette sit for 20 games so a decision will be made soon. I prefer he goes to Utica and gets TOI. Roussel's return will definitely force roster moves. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m sure we’re all expecting an early season 1/4 pole trade at some point. 

FYI - Quarter pole is a horse racing term that refers to the pole at the last quarter mile of the race. 

So for hockey, the quarter pole would be around game 60.

• Cheers 1

I think first off, the AHL is not the NHL

and as the enforcer states, we are a much heavier, and competitive team.

If our power play works yesterday, we win the game. Simple as that.

But to suggest 2 American Hockey League players would improve it, is rather foolish

Now, I like Baertschi and Goldobin, but both cleared waivers. 30 other teams said they were not

good enough for their teams...…..I think that says it all.

Personally, I say, let them stay down and gain minutes and confidence

because up here, they would be 13th forwards, or injured, soon enough

The NHL is that good! In saying that, they could find themselves back here, soon enough

but for not, lets not panic...……..

On another note, Demko, had another very strong outing. and is showing his abilities

To me, this is one of the bright spots, early in the season

I have look at his stats since he came in last year, and over the limited amounts of games

his stats minus one bad game, have been top 10 stats in the league....just take out that 1 bad game.

and you will see, just how good he has been.

IMO, as some state above, Sutter "could" be moved, but he has been playing well early this year

But I like our team right now...….so, until the show me they are being out played, I say

keep it status quo, and wait a little while

Now, if you want to get rid of someone......Newell Brown would be a good place to start

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Obviously Goldy and Sven if they came up to the Canucks would not produce nearly like they have to start the season with Utica. But, they would give the team more balance scoring throughout the line up and give the coach more options to adjust his top 6 or PP units. Leivo/Sutter just dont belong on a PP unit imo

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

it is great that Baer and Goldy are doing well in Utica, it doesn't mean that if you bring them up they will be doing the same thing. a lot easier to score in Utica. they will be brought up when injuries occur.  Schaller makes one mistake and a lot of you complain. there are others on the team that make mistakes (Captain Horvat for one) should we send him down. no they try to work thru the mistakes, you don't give up on players so early in the season

Schaller hasn't made very many mistakes. But he is one dimensional in that he's just an energy guy. At least Baer developed a two way game while still maintaining a high skill level. Goldy I would let marinate, and possibly send Gaudette down as well. Gaudette did earn a spot. Baer deserves a spot. Goldy hasn't earned it yet.

• Cheers 1

I'm finally starting to like what I see from Schaller , and Motte has always had the motor to be a great 4th liner.

Goldy and Baer both need to be top 6 forwards to be effective and on this team they aren't anymore , already being in the AHL should make it easier to trade them at some point this season.  I honestly can't see either of them playing in Vancouver again unless we get hit with injuries all at once again.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Strombone said:

Schaller hasn't made very many mistakes. But he is one dimensional in that he's just an energy guy. At least Baer developed a two way game while still maintaining a high skill level. Goldy I would let marinate, and possibly send Gaudette down as well. Gaudette did earn a spot. Baer deserves a spot. Goldy hasn't earned it yet.

You are basing this on...?

3 minutes ago, Strombone said:

The trouble is with that comment is that Schaller and Baertschi would play on entirely different line, because of all the above

Baer would last one game, and be concussed, if he was asked to do what Schaller does. And that then make him only eligible for the top

3 lines...…….so he is not making the first line, and he is not making the 3rd line when Roussel gets back, so that leaves him

fighting with Persson, Leivo,  and Goldobin for that spot

I don't think he wins it, but I could be wrong...….

• Upvote 1