The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We could ice a way better lineup than the one we run now

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

Who goes out in a week when Roussel is back?  No way Goldobin should push Pearson off the second line - Leivo definitely IF Bear can play his off wing ... we have lost three games - two to a hot goalie and one because of McDavid - no need to worry .... other then our PP...

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

FYI - Quarter pole is a horse racing term that refers to the pole at the last quarter mile of the race. 

So for hockey, the quarter pole would be around game 60.

And for betting, its the part of the game where you know you are going to lose all your bets!!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Who goes out in a week when Roussel is back?  No way Goldobin should push Pearson off the second line - Leivo definitely IF Bear can play his off wing ... we have lost three games - two to a hot goalie and one because of McDavid - no need to worry .... other then our PP...

Someone will be traded IMO.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I agree we could be icing a line up with more balanced scoring on all 4 lines. But, Coach Green makes those decisions and I am sure he has too double think sometimes on the roster setup up when his team has been shutout TWICE already and the PP looks dreadful. Green isn't even willing to split BB and EP up for some reason...

Coach does what he wants, its his job on the line at the end of the day

he does not really though

gm jb provides the players for the roster

i'm sure green has imput

but player acquisition and roster spots

are part of the gm's job

green can do as he thinks best with the roster he is given

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

You are basing this on...?

Advanced stats on all categories including offense and defense: Literally all of Baer's NHL Rate and Possession Metrics (Corsi and Fenwick) are on the positive side of the spectrum while Schaller's are worse or negative. There isn't even one category where Schaller is better than Baer, defense or offense. Not a single one.

Baer vs. Schaller (bold is greater)

G/60: 1.4 vs. 0.4

A/60: 0.8 vs. 0.8

A1/60: 0.5 vs. 0.7

A2/60: 0.3 vs. 0.1 

PTS/60: 2.1 vs. 1.2

S/60: 6.6 vs. 5.3

oiGF/60: 3.1 vs. 2

oiGA/60: 3.1 vs. 3.4

CF/60: 61.3 vs. 54.1

CA/60: 53.2 vs. 64.8

C/60: 8.1 vs. -19.6

FF/60: 46.2 vs. 33.9

FA/60: 39.3 vs. 47.5

F/60: 6.9 vs. -13.6

CF%: 53.5 vs. -8

CF% rel: 10.4 vs. -13.6

FF%: 54 vs. 43.5

FF% rel: 10 vs. -9

EDIT: Schaller actually had more A1/60 by 0.2 but he averaged a lot less minutes so the difference is negligible.

Edited by Strombone
A1/60 was bolded wrong.
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Strombone said:

Advanced stats on all categories including offense and defense: Literally all of Baer's NHL Rate and Possession Metrics (Corsi and Fenwick) are on the positive side of the spectrum while Schaller's are worse or negative. There isn't even one category where Schaller is better than Baer, defense or offense. Not a single one.

Baer vs. Schaller (bold is greater)

G/60: 1.4 vs. 0.4

A/60: 0.8 vs. 0.8

A1/60: 0.5 vs. 0.7

A2/60: 0.3 vs. 0.1 

PTS/60: 2.1 vs. 1.2

S/60: 6.6 vs. 5.3

oiGF/60: 3.1 vs. 2

oiGA/60: 3.1 vs. 3.4

CF/60: 61.3 vs. 54.1

CA/60: 53.2 vs. 64.8

C/60: 8.1 vs. -19.6

FF/60: 46.2 vs. 33.9

FA/60: 39.3 vs. 47.5

F/60: 6.9 vs. -13.6

CF%: 53.5 vs. -8

CF% rel: 10.4 vs. -13.6

FF%: 54 vs. 43.5

FF% rel: 10 vs. -9

Props for providing the math.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

To be fair to Green, he's picked some great defensive forwards and this team is defending well, especially on the PK. The problem is not many of them can score well.

That's where Baertschi comes in - the guy is sound defensively, no not as big and strong physically but he doesn't have to be if he's playing alongside Bo and Pearson or Sutter and Ferland.

Goldobin on the other-hand has never really been strong defensively which worries me, but to leave Baertschi out of the lineup is just plain ignorant by our coaches and management. I understand they want to be big, strong and hard to play against, and they are, but now they're being shut out and flopping on the PP enough is enough. This team needs more balance, it's becoming far too one-dimensional. JB and Green have to be careful that we don't have another team of pylons like we did in 2007 because we don't have the Sedins or Luongo to carry them anymore. 

We need balanced scoring and we're not getting it. Even Horvat and Pearson have been quietted down easily because they don't have a skilled playmaker on their wing. Cue Baertschi to come in.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

with Baertschi and Goldobin at 2ppg in AHL, it's time to bring them back and address the 2nd line issue and the 2nd pp unit as well.

This is the forwards group i want to see :

Miller Petterson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Goldobin
Pearson Gaudette Sutter
Ferland Beagle Virtanen

IR Roussel
Out : Leivo, Motte
Utica : Eriksson, Schaller

PP1 :

Miller

Boeser    Horvat   Petterson

Hugues

PP2 :
                 Farland
Baertschi Gaudette Goldobin 
                 Myers

/enjoy

edit missed Schaller. between two of them i rather keep Motte close to the lineup

It's great they are doing well in Utica...

52 minutes ago, the grinder said:

so you think goldy the floater should waltz right on to the second line  ? lol   so who goes when Roussel gets back ?  motte deserves to be in the line up , good on the fore check ,hits ,  the reason both goldy and baer are in Utica and loui is  in the press box is because they aren't physical , we are changing into a more physical team,  simple as that  

Yes, absolutely. Goldy the floater is more capable of making a good pass than anyone of our current lineup. You don't put a 2PPG's rates by accident. Even if his production falls to 1/4 and goes down to 0.5PPG, i'll take it.

When Rouss' gets back, it's between Virtanen and Ferland, and i don't think how we could help Ferdaddy to regain its confidence back by sitting him. Virtanen on the other hand, continues his weak plays. I would give him the Goldobin treatement and send him to Utica.

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Yes, absolutely. Goldy the floater is more capable of making a good pass than anyone of our current lineup. You don't put a 2PPG's rates by accident. Even if his production falls to 1/4 and goes down to 0.5PPG, i'll take it.

When Rouss' gets back, it's between Virtanen and Ferland, and i don't think how we could help Ferdaddy to regain its confidence back by sitting him. Virtanen on the other hand, continues his weak plays. I would give him the Goldobin treatement and send him to Utica.

2 ppg in what league ?, the ahl  lol    goldy a better passer than anyone on the team  , that statement  just gives you no creditability at all   

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, the grinder said:

2 ppg in what league ?, the ahl  lol    goldy a better passer than anyone on the team  , that statement  just gives you no creditability at all   

maybe you are satisfyed with the poor and broken play you see from our lasts games and our inability to complete two passes in a row. i'm not. 

i don't mind about credibility (from who ?), we are exchanging about a team we love. We may have differents opinions, which is fine. My opinion is we could do better by bringing Baertschi and Goldy in to complement Horvat ; and our 2nd PP unit. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina

3 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

You are basing this on...?

Based on his (relatively limited) body of work. 

He's always a go-to guy for TG.  He is used in all situations.  His abilities with the puck is probably only second on the team behind Pettersson.  Sven is also a competitor and has bought into the program that you gotta give it 100% to be successful in the NHL.

The sole reason he's in the AHL is his contract and whether or not he's able to stay healthy in the NHL.  He played a bit more timid than usual during pre-season and there were some speculation that he isn't quite over the fear of being concussed again.  

If Luongo went on IR instead of retiring, there would have been sufficient cap space for Baertschi to stay with the Canucks.  

4 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

with Baertschi and Goldobin at 2ppg in AHL, it's time to bring them back and address the 2nd line issue and the 2nd pp unit as well.

This is the forwards group i want to see :

Miller Petterson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Goldobin
Pearson Gaudette Sutter
Ferland Beagle Virtanen

IR Roussel
Out : Leivo, Motte
Utica : Eriksson, Schaller

PP1 :

Miller

Boeser    Horvat   Petterson

Hugues

PP2 :
                 Farland
Baertschi Gaudette Goldobin 
                 Myers

/enjoy

edit missed Schaller. between two of them i rather keep Motte close to the lineup

Minus Baer..  we need our young guys getting more ice time more than we need Baer.. it's not even close, same as we needed TJ Miller more than a conditional mid round first pick 

We will get better as we go along, you can take your finger off the panic button, we're still just getting used to all the new faces but we need more time together to get better and there's no way we're anywhere near where we can be but that will come.. no worries..