The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We could ice a way better lineup than the one we run now

Rate this topic

deus.ex.makina

Welcome to CDC.

Thick skin and Homerism is mandatory.

Critical thought not required. 

After 21+ years of membership here and observing this site, here’s what I can tell you:

If you invite posters into your thread, expect to be made sport of, unless you’re plus mining the forum with Pom Pom-spam threads, perhaps nostalgic or petting threads. ;)

On that note, currently the boards are pretty boring with next to nothing interesting as far as threads go. I don’t think it’s ever been this dry here for content. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Oh, you mean cdc is for experts only ? Wow strange that almost every topics i read are full of fantasies and experimentations... 

Goldy with Petey were a good duo the past year. Boeser and Bo with Baertschi line was good too. Do they come from coach fantasies from your standards ?

we needed a true top 6 to solidify our forwards group, now look at the second line production and tell me that you’re ok with that.

Pearson at 4pts ? Horvat 4 ? Leivo 3? 
We can do better than this. 

Goldy and Baertschi were sent to Utica to regain confidence for the first and more of physicality testing (and cap relief) for the second. We can say that both have done very well and should re enter the top 6 (second line) conversation. And i’m even not talking about PP2 yet.

if goldy and petey were so good why aren't they together now  then?  hmm because goldy is in the ahl where he belongs 

On 10/20/2019 at 3:35 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

I thought we played decent in New Jersey. Just missed the net a bunch and ran into a hot goalie. Special teams weren't clicking. Then today we played awesome for the first 2 periods and it was apparent the team was gassed. They played 3 games in less than 72 hours on the road from Missouri to New York. 

Not a bad road trip so far all things considering. Not sure what people expect, they are humans, they get tired, this isn't a video game.

I guess one has to realize, most people aren't that smart. 

Anyway, thanks for being one who is.. plus 1!

15 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Oh, you mean cdc is for experts only ? Wow strange that almost every topics i read are full of fantasies and experimentations... 

Goldy with Petey were a good duo the past year. Boeser and Bo with Baertschi line was good too. Do they come from coach fantasies from your standards ?

we needed a true top 6 to solidify our forwards group, now look at the second line production and tell me that you’re ok with that.

Pearson at 4pts ? Horvat 4 ? Leivo 3? 
We can do better than this. 

Goldy and Baertschi were sent to Utica to regain confidence for the first and more of physicality testing (and cap relief) for the second. We can say that both have done very well and should re enter the top 6 (second line) conversation. And i’m even not talking about PP2 yet.

did we do better tonight? against Detroit tonight ?    im definitely ok with that   2 nd line     

• Wat 1

On 10/20/2019 at 3:35 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

I thought we played decent in New Jersey. Just missed the net a bunch and ran into a hot goalie. Special teams weren't clicking. Then today we played awesome for the first 2 periods and it was apparent the team was gassed. They played 3 games in less than 72 hours on the road from Missouri to New York. 

Not a bad road trip so far all things considering. Not sure what people expect, they are humans, they get tired, this isn't a video game

7th in the whole league!  So far so good..

6 hours ago, the grinder said:

did we do better tonight? against Detroit tonight ?    im definitely ok with that   2 nd line     

Oh boy... no we didn’t do better tonight. Now i’m convinced that you don’t have a good hockey comprehension. 
here you are some tips

-1st and 2nd periods were atrocious,  the 5 firsts minutes and two posts would have set a good pace, but the response was provided by the skill and speed of Detroit during two periods.   

-Leivo & Virtanen were awful all night. If not the fluke goal from virtanen that would have been one of his weakest game. I’m glad he picked up the goal tho we saw right after his confidence rose up and almost had a second. I like the kid and want him to succeed gueninely.

-our second line ? What second line ? We have 1 first and 2 thirds lines. When Bo has 5 goals and 1 assist you know that there is no supporting cast. 
-Markstrom has stolen this one badly,

how could you be satisfyed with that and call it a "better night"? 

the favorable outcome did not erase the poor play shift in shift out. There are a lot of holes that need to be addressed, such as an evidence issue with our PP1 : we can’t take one timers from the faceoffs dots since Boeser and Pettersson have switched wings for a dumb reason. Thanks to Hughes to save the PP1. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina

I see it from a slightly different angle.

Reid Boucher is tearing it up even more than Baertschi and Goldy with 8g, 2a for 10 pts in 5 games. He's on fire! Just goal scoring wise, he should be called up.

But that level of production never seems to translate to the big club. Certainly not in a way that has had a radical or immediate impact on our scoring overall. It's really deceiving. 

I'm not convinved that Goldy would have the type of scoring impact we need over the long haul. Last season and into this year he's just missed far too many scoring opporunities and has been too insecure. He needs to correct that in his game before getting another shot. There's still far too much uncertainty with Goldy at this level. 

I have more faith in Baer but I do think being in Utica is good for him given so much time off from the injury. The better he does on the Comets, it'll be easier for him to have a more immediate impact when he gets the call. He knows what it means to be a pro.

And I do like the thought of Baer on the second line. Conceptually I see it, and think he does, but I'm torn on whether it just keeps the statis quo. Out of anyone in Utica, I'm happy we have the calibre of Baer as a call up.

I think the best case scenario to capitalize on their momentum in Utica is if we get short term injuries (a week or two). That momentum with Boucher and Goldy might be more translatable in short spurts with the big club. Obviously Baertschi would be the best option for a longer term injury. 

9 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Oh boy... no we didn’t do better tonight. Now i’m convinced that you don’t have a good hockey comprehension. 
here you are some tips

-1st and 2nd periods were atrocious,  the 5 firsts minutes and two posts would have set a good pace, but the response was provided by the skill and speed of Detroit during two periods.   

-Leivo & Virtanen were awful all night. If not the fluke goal from virtanen that would have been one of his weakest game. I’m glad he picked up the goal tho we saw right after his confidence rose up and almost had a second. I like the kid and want him to succeed gueninely.

-our second line ? What second line ? We have 1 first and 2 thirds lines. When Bo has 5 goals and 1 assist you know that there is no supporting cast. 
-Markstrom has stolen this one badly,

how could you be satisfyed with that and call it a "better night"? 

the favorable outcome did not erase the poor play shift in shift out. There are a lot of holes that need to be addressed, such as an evidence issue with our PP1 : we can’t take one timers from the faceoffs dots since Boeser and Pettersson have switched wings for a dumb reason. Thanks to Hughes to save the PP1. 

here is a tip for you , we won get over it    ,  Detroit  scored on a 5on 3  and a 4on 3  and that's it   ,  you complain about the 2nd line yet they got points  so your whining about nothing  , yep jake score a " fluky one"  but that what happens when you drive to the net  and shoot the puck ,   yep they change the pp and scored goal again your whining when it succeeds ,      the team wins a good character win  it may have not been pretty  , but they scored 5 and won yet the sky is still falling  3 and 1 on the road and it falling     

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

here is a tip for you , we won get over it    ,  Detroit  scored on a 5on 3  and a 4on 3  and that's it   ,  you complain about the 2nd line yet they got points  so your whining about nothing  , yep jake score a " fluky one"  but that what happens when you drive to the net  and shoot the puck ,   yep they change the pp and scored goal again your whining when it succeeds ,      the team wins a good character win  it may have not been pretty  , but they scored 5 and won yet the sky is still falling  3 and 1 on the road and it falling     

i'm glad they won, i'm not whining about a win. but as i said, everything could be optimized. 

We have differents points of view. You see the results and claim that the job is done and I couldn't say you're wrong. But for me the manner is as important as the results. Just because a 82 games schedule will be not successfull without filling the holes we have. 

look, you know my arguments now, i know yours and that whats matters the most...An exchange between guys who love the team.  

On 10/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Welcome to CDC.

After 21+ years of membership here and observing this site, here’s what I can tell you:

If you invite posters into your thread, expect to be made sport of, unless you’re plus mining the forum with Pom Pom-spam threads, perhaps nostalgic or petting threads. ;)

On that note, currently the boards are pretty boring with next to nothing interesting as far as threads go. I don’t think it’s ever been this dry here for content. 

Good news is pretty boring. When the team is on a roll it dries up around here.

When the going gets tough the critical thinkers come out of the woodwork.

Man can we give it some games to get the new players with the right linemates?  There's a lot of combinations for Greener to try and see how it goes but 10 games is hardly enough for that, plus once he's found the right ones it will still take time for all to gel together but hey this is the CDC after all and panic button pushers are a dime a dozen.. 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Welcome to CDC.

That was pretty funny but very true, I'll use the flame on JB for the JT Miller trade as an example of the typical homerism you spoke of... I haven't been here as long as you but I have to agree, felt that was the case here only a few months in, critical thinking is hard to find here, most just quote the media as gospel, regurgitate it, and post it here, yeah it gets old in a hurry.

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2019 at 10:08 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I think first off, the AHL is not the NHL

and as the enforcer states, we are a much heavier, and competitive team.

If our power play works yesterday, we win the game. Simple as that.

But to suggest 2 American Hockey League players would improve it, is rather foolish

Now, I like Baertschi and Goldobin, but both cleared waivers. 30 other teams said they were not

good enough for their teams...…..I think that says it all.

Personally, I say, let them stay down and gain minutes and confidence

because up here, they would be 13th forwards, or injured, soon enough

The NHL is that good! In saying that, they could find themselves back here, soon enough

but for not, lets not panic...……..

On another note, Demko, had another very strong outing. and is showing his abilities

To me, this is one of the bright spots, early in the season

I have look at his stats since he came in last year, and over the limited amounts of games

his stats minus one bad game, have been top 10 stats in the league....just take out that 1 bad game.

and you will see, just how good he has been.

IMO, as some state above, Sutter "could" be moved, but he has been playing well early this year

But I like our team right now...….so, until the show me they are being out played, I say

keep it status quo, and wait a little while

Now, if you want to get rid of someone......Newell Brown would be a good place to start

Yeah getting rid of NB wouldn't be a bad idea, although vs Detroit last game the PP did somewhat better but our passing has to be faster to catch defenders out of position.

Markstrom and Demko remind me of Luongo and Schneider..