The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Oct. 20, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, fecklund said:

I'm laying that on Greener as well.
This team isn't all that "young" - by age about middle of the pack, so you can't blame it on inexperience. 
Greener had plenty of opportunities to call a time out before the massive gong show got out of control, and didn't. 
It's literally the smartest and best thing you can do when you see your team starting to fall apart. 
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time he called a time out... has he ever?

You’re laying a regulation win on Green?

I imagine he doesn’t really give a fck about how his team wins games.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Markywas a beast. As was the defense and checking line.

IMO... unreal game by our boys. Back to back early games. Came out hard for the first two periods. Came out harder when they there own end.

This group is young. 

Honestly the teams of the last three seasons would have found a way to either drop that one or not even show up in the first place.

I was actually pretty surprised they came out the way they did. That was a breath of fresh air.

My prediction was that they would come out slow and have to try and weather a storm all game. Not the case until the third. Luckily they built up that 3 goal lead since they ended up needing it. The lesson might be to make sure you get that 4th when you have the opportunity. That’s what elite teams do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, fecklund said:

That mess started before that stretch.

also, as good as Marky is (and he was AMAZING today), he could learn a few tricks from the old dogs like Patt Roy, "accidentally on purpose" knnocking the net off.... God knows there were enough mashed potato plays in front of him to easily cover that up... a play like that WOULD have given Greener the opportunity during that long stretch.
Or maybe Mark just hates Greener, lol 

There was pressure, for sure, but nothing too bad until the 8 mins without a whistle.  Certainly there wasn't much reason to waste your one time out for, imo.  Not many coaches are going to call a timeout with 10+ mins left in a one goal game.  Most will want that TO for the last 2 mins.

• Cheers 1

A win is a win I guess.  Great start, bad finish.  2-1 on the road trip.  Get a point in Detroit and I'd be happy with the trip overall.  

So Far I'd say we outplayed:

Edmontom

Detroit

LA

NY

Probably got outplayed by 

Calgary

STL

Pretty even against 

NJ

Philly

Not bad, If play better in half of our games, and equal in a quarter, we are going to be in OK shape as the season moves on.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

The 4th line also was on for like every 2nd shift in the third for some bizarre reason. They were good early on but you can't expect your team to hold any sort of offensive pressure if your grinders are getting all the minutes in the third.

Almost cost us too.

I'm just a fan and not a coach, but I mean why switch things up when what we were doing was working?

IMO defending the lead gives you the worst odds of winning, especially on a back to back.

10 minutes ago, Tystick said:

True, but I don't think we can say that's the only reason why our third was bad.

Well I also give a lot of credit to the Rangers, who really brought it and battled, hard, to make a game of it.  They had us on our heels for the entire 3rd.  That's part our fault, part their doing.   Teams get desperate and they really gave it a go.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I largely agree, I just don't buy that they were so exhausted that they we couldn't force any pressure in the third.

Stoked we got the W.

Well give some credit to the Rangers, they’re hungry for a win and more rested than the Canucks.

No excuse for the sloppy play in the third, but they do have a reason for it at least.

this team is playing ok   we need to fire the power play coach asap but our goalies both are unreal marky will command a big return once we cant keep 2 goalies with expansion should fetch a first and a good prospect 

tanev and sutters value is going up with the way they are playing  hopefully they are gone by deadline  

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

The 4th line also was on for like every 2nd shift in the third for some bizarre reason. They were good early on but you can't expect your team to hold any sort of offensive pressure if your grinders are getting all the minutes in the third.

Every time Peteys line went out in the first 10 mins of the third they were hemmed in their own end.  Obviously so were the other lines after that.

Ugly, but exciting

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2