The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baertschi and Goldobin - The pros and cons of calling them up

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Rather see Macewen/Gaudetteup here than either of those 2.. Goldy sucks defensively and Baer, it wouldn't take much a hit to put him out of action, nice thoughts but unrealistic..

They hit in the AHL too you know...his concussion was just a dirty play - could have happened to anyone.  I get what your saying .... at some point we should see them back.  Nice depth. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

30 others teams passed on them for the same reason they were sent down to Utica. No way they would go again through the waivers with this kind of AHL production. And to be honest i don’t even think they would have been sent down if the canucks organisation knew they were at this level. Leivo and Schaller/Motte would have been way better candidates to the demotion. 

do you actually  think the canucks   management has no clue about players ?  because that is what you are saying  . GMJB has repeatedly said we want to be bigger faster stronger team  baer and goldy don't fit   leivo motte and even schaller (which even tho is improved  is gonna be replaced by Roussel ) fit .   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They hit in the AHL too you know...his concussion was just a dirty play - could have happened to anyone.  I get what your saying .... at some point we should see them back.  Nice depth. 

Either or though, once you have had a concussion or 2 it doesn't take much to rattle your cage badly, and believe me I know.. have had 2 bad ones.. then had a light one and had headaches that were brutal!  Wouldn't wish that on anyone let alone Baer.. 

• Cheers 1

In a middle six that's pretty north-south in playing style I could see Baer greatly complement the two-way, grinding type guys (Ferland, Virtanen, even Bo/ Pearson) with just a bit of pure skill.  In fact, I would want him with Sutter and Ferland, since he can skate and also make the kinds of smart plays (passes, low shots for rebounds) that could help a line that'll work down low be effective.  In turn they can also muck and get him a bunch of assists off Sutter wrist shots and Fergie put-backs.

Goldie on the other hand I don't mind keeping in Utica, if only to keep him hungry and to develop the compete level required.  He can also come up once our skilled wings start getting injured (if they do).

Edited by Phil_314

Management and the coaching staff clearly want some defensive help on the NHL team to allow the key young guys room to develop. If the bottom six eat heavy defensive minutes, EP40, etc. can focus on getting better. I think the current structure is as much about the long-term as it is about the short-term. 

As EP40, etc. mature and take on more of the heavy lifting, the third line will include more and more players with offensive upside. 

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Either or though, once you have had a concussion or 2 it doesn't take much to rattle your cage badly, and believe me I know.. have had 2 bad ones.. then had a light one and had headaches that were brutal!  Wouldn't wish that on anyone let alone Baer.. 

Yeah I’ve had some experience with this too to say the least).  One it took weeks just to get my words back properly...then quite a few bangs with no symptoms - then a long time later a small bump that should have meant nothing but the symptoms were serious enough to lose my drivers license for six months.   Back then they didn’t really even call it a concussion - even though x-rays showed breaks on the skull (three different times, I’m a slow learner ha ha)- just called it a head injury.   They know a lot more about it now - gone are the days when you get your bell rung and then get back on the ice and score a goal with blood coming out your ears and not knowing who to pass to because they all look the same (Richards famous goal I’m referring too - not personal experience).  

My point simply was Bear is still playing, and the AHL is pretty rough too, I wouldn’t be making a decision based on fear his career might be ended with another cheap shot or hard hit - that’s definitely a possibility no matter where he plays.   When he gets his chance hope he makes the most of it and can add to our offense...same with Goldobin, don’t have a lot of faith in him but what he’s going in the AHL is hard to ignore too.  Maybe he’s finally figuring out how to finish?...

14 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Great thread.

Baer shouldn’t be in the AHL. He’s a 20 goal scorer at the highest level. I understand waiving him and sending him down to certain degree. The concussion left him with too many questions to start the season. But Loui has no business being on the roster imo and I think Leivo is more suited for the press box with a healthy line-up because he doesn’t really excel at anything but he’s a great player to put in your line-up if there’s and injury whether it’s the first line or 4th. He has that versatility

The second unit PP would have a better chance of scoring with Baer on it.

In a way I like the decision to send him down at the start of the season. I think time in Utica is only good for him with the way his season went last year and clearly he’s playing well. I hope he ends up back on the roster at some point and Loui just quits. It’s over Loui its Over .

Not about whether Baer can help the team in October. It is all about where the team will be in March. There is no doubt whether Baer can play in the NHL or not. The doubts about him long term is whether he can hold up under a heavy game. History indicates he cannot. DO risk bringing him up and sitting a player who might evolve into a player who can handle heavy CUP play. I am more interested in developing Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette and Big Mac than keeping Baer. I am hoping that both Baer and Goldy continue their great play and that they can be part of a trade. 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not about whether Baer can help the team in October. It is all about where the team will be in March. There is no doubt whether Baer can play in the NHL or not. The doubts about him long term is whether he can hold up under a heavy game. History indicates he cannot. DO risk bringing him up and sitting a player who might evolve into a player who can handle heavy CUP play. I am more interested in developing Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette and Big Mac than keeping Baer. I am hoping that both Baer and Goldy continue their great play and that they can be part of a trade. 

Playoff hockey is also about capitalising on chances.  I don't think it's obvious to say who is going to be more efficient - the guy who might be slight but is a much better finisher and needs less tries vs someone that is maybe heavier but doesn't have the same quickness or finish.  Baertschi gets most of his goals at the net but he gets there by using smarts and capitalises by quickness and skills - he can put the puck in at impossible angles.  

It's the Vegas vs Winnipeg in the conference finals a year ago.  Winnipeg had the puck most of the game but ultimately lost.  They felt they were unlucky.  In fact they were creating low percentage plays while Vegas were creating high percentage plays and capitalised on the few ones they got.  You need to also be able to make high end plays in the playoffs and finish. 

If Baer can prove that he can stay healthy, I'm sure he will get another chance with the team. It will be like a trade deadline acquisition. I think he will slot in nicely alongside Horvat and Pearson.

Goldy, I'm not so sure. It's not a surprise that he is ripping up the AHL; he has graduated from the AHL couple years ago. Yes, he can make plays but he needs to bring other elements besides playmaking to be useful in the NHL. 

By March our line up could look like:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Baer-Horvat-Pearson

Ferland-Sutter-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-Virtanen

Schaller

Motte

Eriksson

That's actually pretty decent depth up front.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yeah I’ve had some experience with this too to say the least).  One it took weeks just to get my words back properly...then quite a few bangs with no symptoms - then a long time later a small bump that should have meant nothing but the symptoms were serious enough to lose my drivers license for six months.   Back then they didn’t really even call it a concussion - even though x-rays showed breaks on the skull (three different times, I’m a slow learner ha ha)- just called it a head injury.   They know a lot more about it now - gone are the days when you get your bell rung and then get back on the ice and score a goal with blood coming out your ears and not knowing who to pass to because they all look the same (Richards famous goal I’m referring too - not personal experience).  

My point simply was Bear is still playing, and the AHL is pretty rough too, I wouldn’t be making a decision based on fear his career might be ended with another cheap shot or hard hit - that’s definitely a possibility no matter where he plays.   When he gets his chance hope he makes the most of it and can add to our offense...same with Goldobin, don’t have a lot of faith in him but what he’s going in the AHL is hard to ignore too.  Maybe he’s finally figuring out how to finish?...

First,  yeah Baer might be ok for the reg season if that's the case but in the playoffs, uh no..  I just don't want to see another scenario like Manny ever again here.

And Goldy, well if he can't get points up in the NHL and can't get his 200ft game together he just won't be in the NHL, simple as that.  I have nothing against either of them but can we depend on them? I don't think so.. 

Anyway, Gaudette definitely, Big Mac? Iffy but he has upside that we need. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

First,  yeah Baer might be ok for the reg season if that's the case but in the playoffs, uh no..  I just don't want to see another scenario like Manny ever again here.

And Goldy, well if he can't get points up in the NHL and can't get his 200ft game together he just won't be in the NHL, simple as that.  I have nothing against either of them but can we depend on them? I don't think so.. 

Anyway, Gaudette definitely, Big Mac? Iffy but he has upside that we need. 

No doubt, we missed him so badly - he could have easily been a difference maker for us.   Like Mac, he’s a good depth player with some upside - nice to have depth like we do now...

The team's finally playing well after a rough start in Alberta.  Let's make some roster moves while we're building chemistry and playing the way management wants.  If Gaud keeps sitting I'm not against calling up someone else to sit in the press box, but there is no need to mess with a winning lineup.

23 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I'd take Baer back on the big club. But it is fun to watch those two absolutely dominate the AHL in the meantime

I've posted this elsewhere,  but worth repeating:

I've watched all 4 of Baer/Goldy's games, and yes, they have been tearing up the AHL I likened them to men playing against boys.

but......

They are playing as the 3rd line, against prolly the weakest defenders (oppo top defenders are tryng to stop Boucher/MacEwen/Lind/Bailey who are on the top 2 lines)

They are getting assists, not goals (Goldy1 goal and 8 assists, Baertschi 2 goals and 6 assists)

Top 3 shooters are Boucher(23), MacEwen (17) and Bailey (16). Baertschi is 4th with 11. Goldy is 11th with 6

Bringing them up for their goal scoring ability isn't reflected in their AHL play 

But the positives .....

They are split up on the power play, Goldy on the 1st unit and Baer on the second, and both are pretty much the playmakers on these units

Goldy is being groomed for a 200 foot game, is playing on the 2nd unit penalty kill, and doing a decent job of it

They are both developing a great chemistry with Jasek, who has been converted to center.  If, Heaven forbid, anything happened to the complete line of Petey, Miller and Boeser that whole Jasek, Baer, Goldy line could be parachuted in and not look out of place.

Like everything, time will tell