Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Laffs..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

they simply need to trade one of their top 3 players to acquire depth

tavares cannot be moved

so either matthews or marner have to be

marner is badly overpaid and that may affect his return somewhat

matthews is overpaid but has the generational tag attached to him

which makes it more likely they'd get a more generous return on him despite his contract

i see no other way

predictions are that the cap will remain flat for at least next season as well

so i see matthews as having to be moved

and the team likely to pay the most is arizona

but they are close to having cap issues themselves

but they'd be so motivated to get a home town phenom player

it would be a deal of them getting matthews for a multiple player return

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

They should trade one of their top 3, but they won't. They rake in too much money for the franchise. They'll keep sitting and raking in money because they're entertaining. But they won't win anything. 

But that won't last. When they drop under the PO-bar, what was entertaining will suddenly become infuriating. The Hogtown faithfull will fully realize the emperor has no clothes, & shtf.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

2- They're our polar-opposite. Find this interesting. On their HFBoard page, even their fans admit their key parts/youth are mostly unlikeable. Think back to early JB quotes, where he stated Van's emphasis on "character" in acquiring/drafting young assets. How respectable vets like the twins showed our youth how to carry themselves. JB was often mocked(at that other site) for this priority. Hmm..wonder if they're still laughing at this declaration?

I get drafting character but make no bones about it, JB would've drafted Matthews in a heartbeat if he had the #1 pick.  Didn't Hunter lobby hard to draft Marner and then they gave the GM gig to his rival/competation?  

Too late now but I always thought a Matthews/Horvat deal would work for both sides.  

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nylander for a decent defenceman. 

Problem solved. 

Brodin? Dumba? 

Nylander, with his new contract, isn't worth much in trade.  The Leafs need to trade AM if they want to land a top four D man, who plays both ends of the ice.  

• Upvote 1

What I would've done is already long past. I would've moved Matthews to Arizona before OEL's NTC kicked in plus likely other assets added. I would've let Nylander rot if he didn't want to sign.

At this point, I'm not sure what they can really do other pull the Edmonton model and to sell decent players for cheap just to get cap space. Matthews is still likely the top candidate for me to trade, but I'm not sure who would take him and if they have the pieces that make sense. Before Toronto had Kadri to take the 2nd line role if Matthews was dealt, but now they may need to lose value bolstering another part of the lineup in finding a 2nd line center again unless Kerfoot can take over.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

they simply need to trade one of their top 3 players to acquire depth

tavares cannot be moved

so either matthews or marner have to be

marner is badly overpaid and that may affect his return somewhat

matthews is overpaid but has the generational tag attached to him

which makes it more likely they'd get a more generous return on him despite his contract

i see no other way

predictions are that the cap will remain flat for at least next season as well

so i see matthews as having to be moved

and the team likely to pay the most is arizona

but they are close to having cap issues themselves

but they'd be so motivated to get a home town phenom player

it would be a deal of them getting matthews for a multiple player return

I can't help but read your posts like they're lyrics or a poem. Could be my phone

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

What I would've done is already long past. I would've moved Matthews to Arizona before OEL's NTC kicked in plus likely other assets added. I would've let Nylander rot if he didn't want to sign.

At this point, I'm not sure what they can really do other pull the Edmonton model and to sell decent players for cheap just to get cap space. Matthews is still likely the top candidate for me to trade, but I'm not sure who would take him and if they have the pieces that make sense. Before Toronto had Kadri to take the 2nd line role if Matthews was dealt, but now they may need to lose value bolstering another part of the lineup in finding a 2nd line center again unless Kerfoot can take over.

I'd prob dump him to Dallas for BENN!(+ 2020 1st, maybe Harley, whatever goodies they'd add) & Oleksiak.

Burn it down..AGAIN! :^)

The leafs are built like a basketball team. All the money in 4 players.

Their biggest mistake was signing Tavares. I'm sure they could trade him and that would be the better move but having Matthews signed right until free agency makes that a huge gamble.

At first look it seems like Matthews would be the easiest to move

The wild might be a good trading partner.

Matthews and a top prospect/first 2020

Dumba Zucker and a first 2019

Then try and get a Benn type dman in Free agency

• Upvote 1