The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Laffs..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

Their 12 points is good for 3rd place in 3 divisions, tied for 3rd in ours with us.

Burn down the Canucks, fire the coach, sell Bennings shares in grandchildren...   :wacko: 

Hate thread will be a hate thread, as much as I agree TOML's are not the best run joint in the competition.

51 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nylander for a decent defenceman. 

Problem solved. 

Brodin? Dumba? 

Minnesota DOES NOT have the depth to trade a top 4 D. They would implode.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd prob dump him to Dallas for BENN!(+ 2020 1st, maybe Harley, whatever goodies they'd add) & Oleksiak.

Burn it down..AGAIN! :^)

Interesting proposition, but the cap savings is too small unless Dallas is offering a lot of cheap youth back. Matthews is much younger and better than Benn. For the rest of that return, I think it would have to be Seguin instead.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Interesting proposition, but the cap savings is too small unless Dallas is offering a lot of cheap youth back. Matthews is much younger and better than Benn. For the rest of that return, I think it would have to be Seguin instead.

Yes agreed. Leader/vet like Pavelski +++ might be more apropos..but it's a pattern-trade they'll probably be reduced to.

Something like Nylander to the Rags for Staal(Eegads!) because they'd likely add a coupla very sweet prospects and/or picks for the privilege.

If/when this thing blows up, these young stars will start resembling the Phaneuf/Kessel conundrum(on cap-steroids) scenarios

• Cheers 1

TOR got greedy. They had the world in the palm of their hands, but then fired Lamoriello and signed Tavares, traded 1sts. Since then, they had difficulty signing Nylander and overpaid. Then had difficulty signing Marner, and yep, he was very expensive. Then Matthews dropped his pants in Arizona and here we are lol They never improved their playoff team. Bad GMing eh?

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Their 12 points is good for 3rd place in 3 divisions, tied for 3rd in ours with us.

Burn down the Canucks, fire the coach, sell Bennings shares in grandchildren...   :wacko: 

Hate thread will be a hate thread, as much as I agree TOML's are not the best run joint in the competition.

The wild are due for a rebuild

The leafs also have 11 games played and the teams 2-3 points out of top 3 in the division have 2-3 games in hand

Edited by Wanless
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

TOR got greedy. They had the world in the palm of their hands, but then fired Lamoriello and signed Tavares, traded 1sts. Since then, they had difficulty signing Nylander and overpaid. Then had difficulty signing Marner, and yep, he was very expensive. Then Matthews dropped his pants in Arizona and here we are lol They never improved their playoff team. Bad GMing eh?

I still don't believe signing Tavares was part of the problem. He may have even helped elevate Marner to who he is today. But at that point, they should've been all in on maximizing the return on Matthews IMO. That or not sign Nylander (or trade him). Things snowballed when they signed Matthews to his ridiculous contract (after giving in to Nylander as well).

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Can’t say I’ve watched all their games but I have watched a few. The game they won in overtime against the Bruins on the weekend they were outplayed pretty badly and lucky to steal the win there. Boston of course fed them their lunch again yesterday. 

Reading the Leafs boards on hf is hilarious. The fans are fed up with the team and turning onto coaching, management, and players. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, xereau said:

Dubas Marleau.png

Heyyyy..just noticed Lil'Mitchy has a STANDARD contract!!! Guess who gets to visit Winterpeg?!

Ownership uses their economic clout. They pay his asinine 15 mill July bonus(deserve it), so it's 30 mill out/1yr! & sayonara. Very attractive now. 35,000,000 left for 5 full yrs of devotion...

To WPG: Marner, some AHL body, 2 7th rd picks

Fleas: Ehlers, Perrault, Niku, 2021 1st rd pick(unprotected)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can’t say I’ve watched all their games but I have watched a few. The game they won in overtime against the Bruins on the weekend they were outplayed pretty badly and lucky to steal the win there. Boston of course fed them their lunch again yesterday. 

Reading the Leafs boards on hf is hilarious. The fans are fed up with the team and turning onto coaching, management, and players. 

Read CDC, even 1/2 way through the 2knd period of a game we're losing? We have the same scrutiny.

The same fans who are fed up? Fuelled the intense media pressure to immortalize sign these guys. And need to realize they need to draft and develop some defense & depth.  They can't sign their way to the upper echelon, the cap is already spent.

But in any case, they remain a good mid level team. Probably destined for a 3rd place or wildcard finish.  It ain't the end of the world.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Read CDC, even 1/2 way through the 2knd period of a game we're losing? We have the same scrutiny.

The same fans who are fed up? Fuelled the intense media pressure to immortalize sign these guys. And need to realize they need to draft and develop some defense & depth.  They can't sign their way to the upper echelon, the cap is already spent.

But in any case, they remain a good mid level team. Probably destined for a 3rd place or wildcard finish.  It ain't the end of the world.  

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they missed the playoffs to be honest. Boston and Tampa Bay are virtual locks while Buffalo and Florida look to be much improved. Buffalo is leading the division but I expect they’ll end up behind Tampa and Boston while Florida is struggling a bit but I expect them to uptick over the season. Then in the metro you’ve got Pitt (injuries notwithstanding, you can never count them out), Philly should be solid, Carolina and Washington are good, and NYI could again be more than the sum of its parts with Trotz at the helm. 

Gun to my head I’d still say Toronto ends up making it but it might not be such a shoo-in if they don’t pick it up in the next couple of weeks. I read today that they’re something like 25-27-9 in the calendar year of 2019. I haven’t checked that but if true, that’s a seriously alarming record over a considerable period of time. 

I know it’s been beaten to death but I think the criticisms of their roster hold serious merit. They’re soft up front, their D group is very underwhelming (Norris candidate or not, Reilly really has been bad in his own end this year), Barrie is a defensive liability who’s also not producing offensively, and their backup goalie can’t be relied upon. He’ll straight up lose them games over the course of the season. And to boot, their stars aren’t really playing well despite what their numbers say. Marner and Matthews have no showed multiple times this year. Tavares has been very underwhelming in more games than his price tag should warrant but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Little Willie Nylander has actually been the best and most consistently engaged of their big 4 forwards. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd start with 2 moves 

Matthews for Ekman-Larsson and a pick/prospect

Nylander for anyone with a pulse that Plays with grit. 

If I could bury my hate for Toronto for long enough to make a rational post, it might look something like yours.

But I can't. 

Toronto sucks and I'm not a fan of your idea because it doesn't involve forcing a rebuild.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Even more than greed, would say they became impatient. Once they acquired some young talent, they couldn't just let things grow & develop organically. Use economic clout to take on some bad expiring deals(w/accompanying youth), & build a wide, deep prospect base at each & every position. You just can't F*** this up, with $ & patience.

If impatience/anxiety could be injected with crack cocaine & steroids, it would represent the TML.

• Haha 1

Some sobering stats:

Think I read since mid-season(Jan) they're .500 over the last 55, 60 games? That don't get you nearrrr the PO's..no sir

- Nylander didn't score ONE goal last yr vs a team that made the PO's!(I nabbed this from an HF post, randomly). amazing, but I'd believe it.

He also has TWO goals in his last 20 games vs hated Broon-goons. Clutch guy!

- Apparently Meelander, Pants down & Mitchy have thrown 12 hits collectively, thus far. Big reason I'd dump this cast. Who wants to cheer on 3 entitled rich kids, who NEVER get their noses dirty?!

& these^ are the acclaimed stars! Don't even ask about that D-cast. You'll prob see a revolving door of 20, 25 names on that blueline, over the next couple yrs. Brainwashed FLEA-backers will forget who's on first, for sure!

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

But that won't last. When they drop under the PO-bar, what was entertaining will suddenly become infuriating. The Hogtown faithfull will fully realize the emperor has no clothes, & shtf.

Meh, 20 (50?) years of failure and rebuilding, then one tank year and they're called the best sports franchise in existence.  Three straight first-round exits, and in embarrassing melt-down style.  Fans are still clucking and gloating, just directing some hate at Babcock.

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I wouldn’t be totally shocked if they missed the playoffs to be honest.

I mentioned that at the time they made the Marleau trade, wishing we'd got that 1st.  Leafs only made the playoffs by 4 points last year, and they have much less depth this season.  Their praised "700 Club" ain't gonna get it done, and just one injury to a 7-digit guy (witness Tavares) and they start taking on water big-time.

• Upvote 1