The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Laffs..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

On 10/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, erkayloomeh said:

This thread is creative, relevant and also humorous. 

I like the leafs the way they are and if there is one thing I would dream of for our nucks besides winning the cup would be to tàke the leafs out in 4 gàmes in the playoffs. THAT is only slightly behind my desire for a cup. 

While it would be absolutely beautiful to beat them in the playoffs, since it means winning the Cup, that's a tall order.

Either the Leafs have to be moved to the west conference, or we'll be on our 3rd or 4th Cup win, cuz it will be a long time before they win any series in the East!  :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-leafs-loan-f-nic-petan-to-ahl-s-toronto-marlies-1.1390818

Might just be lingo here, but anybody know if there's any difference in loaning a player to their farm club rather than simply sending a player down?

My guess is waiver circumvention, like the crap they pulled with Corrado. 

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-leafs-loan-f-nic-petan-to-ahl-s-toronto-marlies-1.1390818

Might just be lingo here, but anybody know if there's any difference in loaning a player to their farm club rather than simply sending a player down?

Nuthin' to see here, move along..just a variation of, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today."

4 hours ago, Aladeen said:

My guess is waiver circumvention, like the crap they pulled with Corrado. 

Hasn't Petan already cleared waivers this year?  I think he has, no?  Once a guy clears then can't he be be called up (for a number of games/days) and then get sent back down without waivers again?  He's, at best, a fringe NHLer anyway, so it's a meh.  

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hasn't Petan already cleared waivers this year?  I think he has, no?  Once a guy clears then can't he be be called up (for a number of games/days) and then get sent back down without waivers again?  He's, at best, a fringe NHLer anyway, so it's a meh.  

You're Probably right, but anything the Leafs do I'm suspicious of :P 

• Cheers 1

Dubas is a shopping-maniac. I see similar tendencies in the Missus, when she's within 750 m of a shopping mall.

Where most elementary runts may have gotten a wkly allowance, I heard this guy negotiated a credit line, from the tender age of 7. WHY didn't ownership suss this guy out?!

On 10/23/2019 at 2:18 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wadr to the Laff fans on this board, starting this thread to get out ahead of the coming panic. No prob if you disagree with the main premise. Not starting this topic to incite a war. Just calling/predicting it as it appears. I'll number the main points, for ease of context/replies.

1- Leafs are a precarious Jenga tower, sure to topple over. It's that simple. They were constructed incredibly poorly. "We can, & we will!" Quotes like these are the cringe-worthy statements of an inexperienced GM, who loused this mess to apocalyptic proportions. I'll go into further detail on this assertion, should this thread have legs.

2- They're our polar-opposite. Find this interesting. On their HFBoard page, even their fans admit their key parts/youth are mostly unlikeable. Think back to early JB quotes, where he stated Van's emphasis on "character" in acquiring/drafting young assets. How respectable vets like the twins showed our youth how to carry themselves. JB was often mocked(at that other site) for this priority. Hmm..wonder if they're still laughing at this declaration?

3- Is there a 'Guilty conscience' at play here? ..they blatantly, openly tanked, with self-promotion from their wh*ring media. If an NHL franchise behaved like the Clinton political dynasty..they'd be IT! What was a proud, lasting tradition(The House that Smythe Built"), yada yada..had been reduced to the psychological rubble of a FLEA market, ragged tent.

4- So please..school Dubas, eh? All you aspiring GM's out there..put yer $ where your mouth is! What move(s) would you execute, in order to save this pile of mulch? Pretend you really LIKE this outfit, & want to extinguish the 1967 ghosts. Turn their ship around(despite striking the berg). Appreciating it's merely theoretical, it's sometimes interesting to look back on these things..(eg: "I said Dubas SHOULD do this, but he did that!" etc...)

5- Predictions: Leafs make PO's..Y/N?

7- Does Babcock last the season?

8- Does Dubas make it to next season? (I'll add answers in a bit)

Some might play shoot the messenger here(fine, have thick skin!)..but we've all had to endure their ubiquitous, pontifacting media-storm/blather for far too long. The Christian thing is to share with these wayward souls about the path to tread(said he, tongue in cheek)...

The reality of this you can't just "simply trade one of their top 3" . Easier said than done.

This problem goes beyond that. Might help but it won't solve the problem. 

I'd suggest Lou Amarillo changed the stability end of things immensely.

Now you have some inexperienced GM telling one of the most successful coaches in the game how its gonna be. Here's the type of players you get and away you go.

Of course it's not that straightforward but things do kind of hold those optics. 

Leafs problems root deeper than the surface. They miss a player like Nazam Kadri , the grease is gone. (God forbid Vancouver gets rid of Rousell, Canucks could use him right about now too), but the Leafs have little bite. Little to get excited about when watching them even though they have top players up front. 

great post by the way.

Edited by aqua59
adding content
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Ferraro: "The puck is STUCK in the Leaves' net, & it's quite hard for the reffs to dig it out."

This sequence that just happened vs Broon-goons(late, losing again) is strangely symbolic.

Love watching the LOSER LEAFS lose.  How much more losing before Babcock is fired?  

Trade proposal:

Ottawa: all 50 contracts & all their(enviable list of) picks.

TML: all 50 contracts & all their picks.

+ 400,000,000 $$$

**********************Seriously, makes sense, Sens & cents**************************

Ottawa could use 75% to build a downtown arena, & 25% to send Melnyk off to(some tropical isle) retirement

Fleas IMMEDIATELY fire Dubas, & complete a proper rebuild.

Question: How's the value? Should the Laffs keep one extra 2nd rounder?

On 10/31/2019 at 4:09 PM, rekker said:

Would anyone here trade Petey for AM? I wouldn't. Not even close. Petey has the "it" factor, will to win. AM is an NHL star with a beer leugue, shinny mentality. 

No. Matthews is a better shooter. Petey is better everywhere else, even in defense and physicality, which is sad considering Matthews has 50 lbs on him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

You knew there will be problems when Nylander was seeking an 8 million dollar contract, Matthews aiming for Mcdavid like salary, and Marner aiming at Mathews salary who aimed for a Mcdavid like salary, and of course Tavares claiming he took a pay cut to play in Toronto, rumors of Marner not liking Tavares, Matthews looking disinterested.

personally I felt when the leafs went from 

Kadri

Gardiner

to

Kerfoot 

Barrie, I thought it was a lateral movement, but it looks like a huge downgrade.  Kerfoot is not an ideal 3rd line player at 5'10 and not gritty. Barrie was suppose to replace Gardiner offensive number but it's not. 

that team is full of individuals, Matthews heart is not even TO right now and I am certain he's gonna bail on them once he reaches free agency and the same with Marner.   I am so grateful that we have Bo at 5.4 and Brock at 5.8.

• Cheers 1