The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators trying to trade for forward

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Send Gaudette to minors. Math solved.

Good for his development, in comparison to sitting, as well?

Nope, not solved (and I'm in full agreement on sending him down).

We've presently got 3 guys (Leivo/Virtanen/Ferland) for two middle 6, RW spots when Roussel is back.

Now by all means if Ferland doesn't pick it up before Roussel gets back, he could certainly earn himself some time in the press box. But that's hardly sustainable long term.

Plus we have Baer showing his health is fine and he's performing in Utica. Eventually they need to recall him (ANOTHER body) or trade him.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure... but what's the benefit to us? Sutter's healthy and playing well and we don't need the cap space. 

If we need to move out any bodies (we do), it's likely at the log jam of middle 6 wingers, not our C's.

We don't "need" the cap space now; however, I would be considering it as a long-term move. NY didn't need Namestnikov's cap space at that time either.

You can't expect to be able to shed cap space when you need to actually shed the cap space; therefore, why not make such moves when the other team is going to be more desperate?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

But people say he's playing well. He has value.

Very well. That's worth a first round draft pick then, at least, don't you think.

The Eriksson idea that was just posted above as I was typing would sweeten the pot. ^_^

That's the point though. He has value so now's the time to trade him. lol

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Maybe give them Jasek (and Eriksson?).

Jasek is not a centre.  He is playing C because Utica lacks Cs.  

Ottawa is likely also looking for someone more experienced.  They sent Brown down because they didn't think he was ready - his agent was furious and had that quote about how he never saw a player be met with such resistance by the team that drafted them early in the 1st round.  

Just now, The Lock said:

We don't "need" the cap space now; however, I would be considering it as a long-term move. NY didn't need Namestnikov's cap space at that time either.

You can't expect to be able to shed cap space when you need to actually shed the cap space; therefore, why not make such moves when the other team is going to be more desperate?

Because we need Sutter more than we need his cap space?

I think it far more likely we'd look to move Baer (a winger, wehere we have FAR more depth) etc if we needed/wanted cap space.

• Upvote 2

They have several "centers" listed for them. And a couple of younger guys they could call up. So don't think they would be interested in Gaudette if they wanted to go young. Sutter likely would be of interest for them. But I do wonder if they are looking for a winger and play one of their listed centers down the middle until the injured guys return.

Sutter (+Perron or Bailey) for SJ 1st and Chlapik? Or Baertschi for a pick.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Because we need Sutter more than we need his cap space?

I think it far more likely we'd look to move Baer (a winger, wehere we have FAR more depth) etc if we needed/wanted cap space.

In terms of a more general statement, sure.

But we are talking about trading with a team who need centers right now. If you want to think entirely about our needs then let's just ship them off Eriksson, but don't be surprised if Ottawa just hangs up on that thought because that's less likely what Ottawa's looking for.

Thus, Sutter would make more sense for Ottawa while Baer would make less sense for Ottawa. Given both contracts were reportedly being shopped around before this season, if Benning's been wanting to trade Sutter then it might actually be a good time to do it when things are looking good for him. Would he be missed? Sure, but we don't need Sutter to be successful.

Just now, The Lock said:

In terms of a more general statement, sure.

But we are talking about trading with a team who need centers right now. If you want to think entirely about our needs then let's just ship them off Eriksson, but don't be surprised if Ottawa just hangs up on that thought because that's less likely what Ottawa's looking for.

Thus, Sutter would make more sense for Ottawa while Baer would make less sense for Ottawa. Given both contracts were reportedly being shopped around before this season, if Benning's been wanting to trade Sutter then it might actually be a good time to do it when things are looking good for him. Would he be missed? Sure, but we don't need Sutter to be successful.

Then I vote we don't trade with OTT... problem solved ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Jasek is not a centre.  He is playing C because Utica lacks Cs.  

Ottawa is likely also looking for someone more experienced.  They sent Brown down because they didn't think he was ready - his agent was furious and had that quote about how he never saw a player be met with such resistance by the team that drafted them early in the 1st round.  

Linus Karlsson?

48 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Loui Eriksson? Or Nikolay Goldobin? Not sven.

Goldy is ripping up the AHL, he's poised for a return.

We'll see him during the cup run this spring.

Shouldn't trade away such a money puck asset IMO

Edited by apollo

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They have several "centers" listed for them. And a couple of younger guys they could call up. So don't think they would be interested in Gaudette if they wanted to go young. Sutter likely would be of interest for them. But I do wonder if they are looking for a winger and play one of their listed centers down the middle until the injured guys return.

Sutter (+Perron or Bailey) for SJ 1st and Chlapik? Or Baertschi for a pick.

They are looking for a Namestnikov type deal - an AHLer and a 4th round pick.  Ottawa is still rebuilding - they are unlikely to give up key prospects or high draft picks.