The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators trying to trade for forward

53 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Was just about to say this myself (only if they think Gaudette is ready though).  Also for all the flack he gets I'm not sure it's necessarily in the team's best interest to move him now, since he and Beagle are definitely part of the reason why we're near the top of the league in PK percentage.  Would we be as good defensively and in face-offs with Brandon gone?  It could also have the trickle down effect of requiring Bo to play more on defense which may lead to there not being enough offense if he's bogged down in his own end.  Lastly, the return might not be the best (scrub and mid-low pick).

If I'm coach or GM I would alternate between Sutter and Gaudette on the 3rd line (just to keep Adam in it, see if he's fit for a prime PK role, and dangle Sutter with the occasional healthy scratch) so there would be momentum for a possible move.  Hopefully we don't also start losing or become worse defensively so we have the luxury to make a move.

On that thought, is that really a bad thing? I mean, he's our 2nd line center. It's not like we're trying to free up EP for more offensive minutes. IMO, the next logical step for Bo would be to become a complete 2 way forward. I don't think he'll ever be in the Selke conversation but I think it's fair for us fans (and Canucks management/coaching) to expect that type of game out of Bo. If neither of your top 2 centres can play a shutdown role, that's not exactly ideal. Then TG will need to over play his bottom 6 to get the match ups he wants. Plus, if you asked Bo, he'd probably be the 1st one to say that he wants to be that reliable 2 way center that most contenders have. Food for thought.

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

On that thought, is that really a bad thing? I mean, he's our 2nd line center. It's not like we're trying to free up EP for more offensive minutes. IMO, the next logical step for Bo would be to become a complete 2 way forward. I don't think he'll ever be in the Selke conversation but I think it's fair for us fans (and Canucks management/coaching) to expect that type of game out of Bo. If neither of your top 2 centres can play a shutdown role, that's not exactly ideal. Then TG will need to over play his bottom 6 to get the match ups he wants. Plus, if you asked Bo, he'd probably be the 1st one to say that he wants to be that reliable 2 way center that most contenders have. Food for thought.

The funny thing is that even though Sutter is viewed mainly as a defensive center and is obviously a big part of the Canucks' PK, it's not exactly clear that he's truly a stalwart defensive center.  Don't get me wrong, I think Sutter is a good player, but if he's traded, then I think the biggest loss would be for the Canucks' PK and not necessarily at 5-on-5.  Gaudette still needs to grow his game to be as effective as Sutter 5-on-5, but I agree that it may not be the end of the world for the Canucks to rely more on Horvat and Beagle for defensive assignments if Sutter is ultimately dealt.  If Gaudette can solidify his spot in the line-up and perhaps even take on some defensive responsibilities himself, then it might all even out.  I agree ultimately that the best teams need to be able to play their best against the other team's best.  The Canucks should aim for that.

15 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Interesting feedback.  That being said, while it's true that we're not freeing up Pete for more offensive minutes, I think it would help Pete if Bo was also contributing secondary scoring, which is something that the team has arguably found it hard to cultivate on a regular basis.  If Bo's already taking on tough match-ups it might not be the worst idea to let him not have to kill penalties too, so he can also attack.  It's also not that he can't PK but should he?  If coach wants to use the bottom 6 for defense so his scorers can do their thing, I don't think that's the worst idea, at least not while it's still working.  In a sense, we don't need to reinvent the wheel or even rejig anything in this case while things are going smoothly IMO.

11 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The funny thing is that even though Sutter is viewed mainly as a defensive center and is obviously a big part of the Canucks' PK, it's not exactly clear that he's truly a stalwart defensive center.  Don't get me wrong, I think Sutter is a good player, but if he's traded, then I think the biggest loss would be for the Canucks' PK and not necessarily at 5-on-5.  Gaudette still needs to grow his game to be as effective as Sutter 5-on-5, but I agree that it may not be the end of the world for the Canucks to rely more on Horvat and Beagle for defensive assignments if Sutter is ultimately dealt.  If Gaudette can solidify his spot in the line-up and perhaps even take on some defensive responsibilities himself, then it might all even out.  I agree ultimately that the best teams need to be able to play their best against the other team's best.  The Canucks should aim for that.

That's a tough balance that I'm glad I'm not responsible to strike.  We can send Bo and Beagle out as the defensive guys and ultimately I think we would need to do so to ease Gaudette into the lineup but I think the timing is key.  If done improperly (e.g. if one of the top centers goes down) our depth could easily be reduced to that of seasons past.  I would love to have Adam transition seamlessly too and I think management is strategizing on how best to do so (e.g. hopefully while he's not playing he could still work on his face-offs on the side, since that would probably be all that's keeping him from locking down a regular 3rd line C role IMO).

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Does Baertschi have to clear waivers to come back up? They might like him for a mid round pick. I know he just cleared a couple weeks ago but he’s looking good in the AHL and Ottawa needs help scoring.

I might be mistaken but I believe re-entry waivers was removed so Baertschi shouldn't have to clear waivers to come back up to a NHL team.  As others have noted however, the Senators are hurting at C so not entirely sure if they would be that interested in Baertschi.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

They won't want Gaud. 

He's got 5 goals in 64 games. He doesmt have much trade value. 

He's already 23yrs old. Not like he's 20 and still lots of development ahead for him. 

I don't see them coming to us looking for one of our players. 

Green loves Sutter and he's playing very good hockey.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Could the Canucks be a good trading partner with our current situation?

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1861555

"Hey Ottawa....we got a slightly used.....former high flyer in "Little Things Loui".  We paid him most of his real salary and you can get him for CHEAP!!  He can actually improve your pathetic PK.

Call us.....604-123-4567....ask for Big Jim1  ::D

• Haha 1

Since he has less contract committed to bonus $$$, I think Bobby Ryan's contract would be simpler to buy out(not certain though?, if anyone is, would like to hear)

Van : Brother LouiE, Baer, Leivo (almost 11 mill)

OTT: Ryan(retain 10-15%), Chlapik

next summer, retain 2 more mill on Ryan & dump(attach a decent prospect, if necc)

With Roussel coming back, we should clear out contracts. Also MacEwen would prob be a better banger than Leivo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's nice to know that with all of the hard work Friedman and the rest of those media buffoons have been doing for the Leafs (creating rumours), really hasn't paid off. 

Fraudman is more accurate.

I'm sick of him like the rest of the buffoons already.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nope, not solved (and I'm in full agreement on sending him down).

We've presently got 3 guys (Leivo/Virtanen/Ferland) for two middle 6, RW spots when Roussel is back.

Now by all means if Ferland doesn't pick it up before Roussel gets back, he could certainly earn himself some time in the press box. But that's hardly sustainable long term.

Plus we have Baer showing his health is fine and he's performing in Utica. Eventually they need to recall him (ANOTHER body) or trade him.

I'm sure I read, and I have no doubt Benning tried to trade a winger pre-season? Before he put Baertschi & Goldobin on waivers.

What makes you think we'll get more now?  More than the nothing we received pre-season. Hell, I imagine Jim probably may have been happy had some team claimed Baer. Aquaman surely would have been happy; he has to pay him to be in the minors.

For me, if the market was zero's across the board? Its just as well we have some injury depth. But if there is a market, sure I'll be on board with a trade. I just feel it would have been done already.

Its actually odd that we only have one player hurt ATM. 

Edit, Roussel plays mostly LW by the way. Not that it changes much.

Edited by Canuck Surfer