The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators trying to trade for forward

This would be the time to trade Sutter. His value is a little inflated and we need to move one of Baertschi, Sutter, Schaller, or Eriksson before Roussel comes back. The Canucks cap crunch will be VERY real in a few short weeks. Dumping Sutter for a pick and a prospect would do two things. Free up cap space, free up a roster spot for Gaudette, and get out from under the last year of Sutter's deal. It's a smart move now. With Beagle here, Sutter's a bit redundant. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They won't want Gaud. 

He's got 5 goals in 64 games. He doesmt have much trade value. 

He's already 23yrs old. Not like he's 20 and still lots of development ahead for him. 

I don't see them coming to us looking for one of our players. 

Green loves Sutter and he's playing very good hockey.

Nashville apparently offered us Pk Subban for a package and Gaudette is the main ingredient.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm sure I read, and I have no doubt Benning tried to trade a winger pre-season? Before he put Baertschi & Goldobin on waivers.

What makes you think we'll get more now?  More than the nothing we received pre-season. Hell, I imagine Jim probably may have been happy had some team claimed Baer. Aquaman surely would have been happy; he has to pay him to be in the minors.

For me, if the market was zero's across the board? Its just as well we have some injury depth. But if there is a market, sure I'll be on board with a trade. I just feel it would have been done already.

Its actually odd that we only have one player hurt ATM. 

Edit, Roussel plays mostly LW by the way. Not that it changes much.

Because in the summer, everyone's largely healthy and they're hopeful young guys will make the jump.

A month in, teams start getting injuries (the literal reason this thread exists) and kids fade and get sent back to junior/AHL etc (if they made it at all).

Baer has also been playing well and healthy in Utica.

I also doubt Benning was actively shopping the likes of Leivo/Virtanen.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We'd have to retain on either Sutter or Eriksson they only have $7.4 million in space. But I like the idea. 

I think half their IR players could be put on LTIR.  Gaborik, Callahan, MacArthur...  are any of them ever playing again?

9 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

The Canucks would have to do Sutter+ for Boedker because of the extra year on Sutter's deal.  If a pick it would be like a 5th rounder + retention

Why?  Sutter isn’t a cap dump.

Ottawa needs useful players and can’t get folks to sign there for a rebuild.  Having extra term isn’t a bad thing for them.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ottawa needs useful players and can’t get folks to sign there for a rebuild.  Having extra term isn’t a bad thing for them.

Cheapest owner in the league, Sutter aint a playmaker but can score the odd time so he wont make his linemates any better and he's also 30 and injury prone.  Sens probably looking for UFA's so they can either flip them for picks/prospects at the deadline or turnover their roster next year.  I think Sutter also has a modified no trade, I'm going to guess that Ottawa is probably on his list of teams he can't be traded to.

Edited by amplified0ne
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We'd have to retain on either Sutter or Eriksson they only have $7.4 million in space. But I like the idea. 

I buy it that idea.

Since salary cannot be retained 

OTT

Sutter
Baertschi

Eriksson @ 50% retained 

Grand total: $7,750,000

VAN

?

Oh how does one attract that 1/´20 OTT pick...

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I buy it that idea.

Since salary cannot be retained 

OTT

Sutter
Baertschi

Eriksson @ 50% retained 

Grand total: $7,750,000

VAN

?

Oh how does one attract that 1/´20 OTT pick...

Ottawa is rebuilding and want to accumulate picks / prospects.  They are a looking for a Namestnikov type deal - an AHLer and a 4th pick was the return.  

Sam Gagner would be a more interesting option.  He is in the last year of his deal and was in the AHL - although they just recalled him because of lack of production of their bottom-6.  Maybe Granlund who is the healthy scratch - if Edmonton wants to create cap space.  

Guys who cost nothing to acquire and not sure they want term.  They want to promote their prospects once they are ready - their slogan in french is "the kids are coming".

Edited by mll

Seeing lots of people offer Sutter, but he has a modified no trade clause where he submits 15 teams on his no trade list.  Would assume Ottawa would be one of them for him.  

Also Ottawa has 49 contracts already (exception is they have 2 that slide as they are in junior) but they aren't taking multiple bodies and our headaches for free.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

This would be the time to trade Sutter. His value is a little inflated and we need to move one of Baertschi, Sutter, Schaller, or Eriksson before Roussel comes back. The Canucks cap crunch will be VERY real in a few short weeks. Dumping Sutter for a pick and a prospect would do two things. Free up cap space, free up a roster spot for Gaudette, and get out from under the last year of Sutter's deal. It's a smart move now. With Beagle here, Sutter's a bit redundant. 

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sutter for a 2nd?

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Sutter had an untradeable contract 2 weeks ago...negative value. I'm happy too that he's healthy at the moment and has looked like a solid 3rd liner for the first 9 games of the season, but let's be a little realistic here.

A pick and a prospect?

A 2nd round pick?

Not a camp dump?

Sutter and his contract are less of a liability than they were 9 games ago, but he has a ways to go before he has any real value around the league. GMs make stupid decision all the time but trading picks and prospects for Sutter after 9 games is inexcusably dumb. If Benning could give Sutter away for free, he would. Gaudette is about to be shipped back to Utica. Sutter is liable to get injured again and lose all of the value he's rebuilt. That might not happen. Hell, Chris Tanev might play 82 games this season. But I know what I'd bet my money on.

Edited by VIC_CITY

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because in the summer, everyone's largely healthy and they're hopeful young guys will make the jump.

A month in, teams start getting injuries (the literal reason this thread exists) and kids fade and get sent back to junior/AHL etc (if they made it at all).

Baer has also been playing well and healthy in Utica.

I also doubt Benning was actively shopping the likes of Leivo/Virtanen.

He could be shopping Leivo? I don't think he's in our long term plans moving forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season here.

Leivo is a good depth piece but we just have too many forwards and I expect things to get even more crowded next year with guys like Lind, Jasek and MacEwen pushing for a spot on the team. There's also a chance Gaudette moves over to the wing if we don't end up moving a center. So if I'm Green (and we all know he loves his 4th line) Leivo is the odd man out. Rousell's return is coming...

Edited by VIC_CITY

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Nashville apparently offered us Pk Subban for a package and Gaudette is the main ingredient.

Poile explained that he was looking to clear cap space - the return was secondary.  He went with NJD because they were the only team willing to take the full cap hit.  Doubt they have any interest in Gaudette now that Subban has been moved.

The only player that makes sense to trade to Ottawa would be Sutter.  I highly doubt Melynk wants to take on Sutter's salary though unless we take equal salary back.  I'm sur he'd be all over Gaudette who is young and cheap, but Benning isn't trading him.

At this point Sutter is a nice piece that we have who is playing well and doing a great job on the penalty kill.  Why fox what isn't broken?  If anything we should be adding to this team, not subtracting.  We've won 6 out of the last 7 games and BO is on fire now.  Our goal is to make the playoffs and try and do some damage.  I'm sure Benning is looking to upgrade the team, hopefully adding a right winger to complement BO.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure... but what's the benefit to us? Sutter's healthy and playing well and we don't need the cap space. 

If we need to move out any bodies (we do), it's likely at the log jam of middle 6 wingers, not our C's.

Yeah we do, this is a long term move. If Ottawa offers any draft pick of value, I'd run with it. This is the best time to do it IMO when hes playing well and most of all, when he's healthy. That cap space is for the eventual Petey, Hughes contract as well as, Im not sure if its going to happen, Markstroms contract

If I were JB I'd sit tight, they have nothing of any value and Chabot is untouchable anyway.

Brannstrom would be tempting though if he's even vaguely on the table. I'd do Gaudette/Baertschi ++ for Branstrom in a heart-beat. He's supposed to be the next Karlsson but is struggling a bit with Ottawa, might end up being the next Quinn Hughes. Wouldn't mind that, and Edler would be a great mentor for him. He'd start this season in the AHL anyway but maybe get the call up next year.