The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators trying to trade for forward

On 10/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Thank god JB would not consider stupid asset management like that.  Geez.

What would you rather have, Gaudette or $6M in cap space for the next 3 years? 

It looks like we're a playoff team (knock on wood) and that $6M in cap space is going to be huge moving forward. That's potentially like adding another JT Miller in free agency. 

So it depends on what your thoughts are on Adam Gaudette? Because there's a very real chance that 3C is his ceiling. Don't get me wrong, 3C is a very important piece to any team. But more important than another $6M player? We also have Tyler Madden who's probably only a year or 2 away. 

Anyways, I'm just saying it isn't as bad a trade as you may think (Gaudette and Loui for futures). You have to take into account what else we could get for that freed up cap space.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 10/25/2019 at 4:38 PM, IBatch said:

JB missed the boat a few deadlines ago with Sutter...if the return is good he should pull the trigger - I don’t think it would affect the team much - they are used to playing without him anyways, AG might not be ready to fill his shutdown shoes, but he is ready enough to Center a third scoring line, and we have the guns to pull it off.   Take advantage of the situation...

I agree but Travis and Jim both like Sutter and he has a big presence in the dressing room. So I'm not sure there's much of an appetite to trade him at the moment. As it stands right now, we have legit NHL options in Utica or in the pressbox at every position if someone gets injured. With our injury history, that has to be a good feeling. So when I think about guys like Sutter and Stetcher getting traded, I don't see it happening any time soon. We've been really lucky with the injury bug so far but you know it won't last forever. 

But if they were to trade Sutter, I think Bo would pick up some of those defensive minutes to allow Travis to shelter Gaudette a bit to start. Bo proved last year he could handle it and he still put up career numbers.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree but Travis and Jim both like Sutter and he has a big presence in the dressing room. So I'm not sure there's much of an appetite to trade him at the moment. As it stands right now, we have legit NHL options in Utica or in the pressbox at every position if someone gets injured. With our injury history, that has to be a good feeling. So when I think about guys like Sutter and Stetcher getting traded, I don't see it happening any time soon. We've been really lucky with the injury bug so far but you know it won't last forever. 

But if they were to trade Sutter, I think Bo would pick up some of those defensive minutes to allow Travis to shelter Gaudette a bit to start. Bo proved last year he could handle it and he still put up career numbers.

Sutter has had a great start - he’s a wily vet that most teams would love to add if he can prove to stay healthy, especially with a little retention.   It really depends on a lot - if he’s healthy and continues to play at his current level - JB will have a very tough decision to make.  Adding a quality pick (let’s say a second) could be the difference down the road.  This team isn’t really ready to contend ... BUT the way things are now anything can happen once you make the show.    And his contributions are hard to replace at this moment - AG is getting better ... in a couple years he most likely will be on the third line in some capacity.    Maddens development also plays into it.   Tough call, I was mostly replying to the fact we did have interest when we were a bottom team and maybe he should have pulled the trigger then - if another opportunity presents itself just the cap relief alone has a lot of value.  Markstrom needs a contract for example - whether he gets traded or not too...

• Cheers 2

On 10/25/2019 at 6:51 PM, IBatch said:

He’d probably take that and run.  Look what TO paid to get out of one year of Marleau (who still has game - 6 points first 6 games) - yes it would suck but teams would want us to add unfortunately.  

Toronto HAD to trade him to free up cap space.  Canucks do not need to.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

OTT

Eriksson

Baertschi

Goldobin

VAN

1st OTT

Ottawa is rebuilding and looking to get more draft picks.  They were apparently asking for a 1st to take the dead cap space of Clarkson's LTIR contract from Vegas.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

OTT

Eriksson

Baertschi

Goldobin

VAN

1st OTT

Thaaaaaat..... won't fly at all with Ottawa. Literally every piece of that proposal is doing us a favour more than it is Ottawa. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, IBatch said:

Sutter has had a great start - he’s a wily vet that most teams would love to add if he can prove to stay healthy, especially with a little retention.   It really depends on a lot - if he’s healthy and continues to play at his current level - JB will have a very tough decision to make.  Adding a quality pick (let’s say a second) could be the difference down the road.  This team isn’t really ready to contend ... BUT the way things are now anything can happen once you make the show.    And his contributions are hard to replace at this moment - AG is getting better ... in a couple years he most likely will be on the third line in some capacity.    Maddens development also plays into it.   Tough call, I was mostly replying to the fact we did have interest when we were a bottom team and maybe he should have pulled the trigger then - if another opportunity presents itself just the cap relief alone has a lot of value.  Markstrom needs a contract for example - whether he gets traded or not too...

I get that we aren’t ready to contend, but we are however are being built to contend. This season was another stepping stone, but the way we are playing has stars in my eyes...trying to not get too over the moon with things. The way this team has adjusted on the fly so far this year gives me hope. If they make the playoffs and continue that quick learn as you go trend, they could do some damage come playoff time...real question is tho, how do we continue as a team if we lose a key player? It will be interesting to see how they respond when their mettle and team depth is tested.

As for trades, it is interesting how they will approach the Markys next contract. If he has another top flight season...I cringe to think what he would get in the open market. I have faith Benning and co. won’t just let him walk away for free. He’s worth too much. Look at the goaltending issues so far this year, some hungry teams out there and Marky has a tantalizing cap hit.

Fun season so far! Breath of fresh air ::D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I get that we aren’t ready to contend, but we are however are being built to contend. This season was another stepping stone, but the way we are playing has stars in my eyes...trying to not get too over the moon with things. The way this team has adjusted on the fly so far this year gives me hope. If they make the playoffs and continue that quick learn as you go trend, they could do some damage come playoff time...real question is tho, how do we continue as a team if we lose a key player? It will be interesting to see how they respond when their mettle and team depth is tested.

As for trades, it is interesting how they will approach the Markys next contract. If he has another top flight season...I cringe to think what he would get in the open market. I have faith Benning and co. won’t just let him walk away for free. He’s worth too much. Look at the goaltending issues so far this year, some hungry teams out there and Marky has a tantalizing cap hit.

Fun season so far! Breath of fresh air ::D

Stars in eyes, great comment.  Yep this has turned into on heck of a season so far, couldn’t ask for a better story line.   Miller and Myers impact trickles down right into the AHL, and having a healthy Sutter on the way for perhaps a career year couldn’t be more timely...tonight’s game will be fun to watch, Pouty Doughty won’t be happy and can’t wait to hear what he has to say next...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Stars in eyes, great comment.  Yep this has turned into on heck of a season so far, couldn’t ask for a better story line.   Miller and Myers impact trickles down right into the AHL, and having a healthy Sutter on the way for perhaps a career year couldn’t be more timely...tonight’s game will be fun to watch, Pouty Doughty won’t be happy and can’t wait to hear what he has to say next...

Stars in my eyes, just like Darcy Rota in that clip that’s been going around on all the threads...that’s me too haha. 

• Haha 1