The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] - Markstrom for a 1st round pick + a solid back-up goalie.......IF

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Stop with the trade a goalie threads everyone

We toss Seattle a 3rd and promise to let them win their first home game against us in their building and they'll pick whoever we tell them to

(Except Loui E of course)

I know this is a joke, but there is actually some precedence here. I seem to recall back when the Vegas expansion draft was looming and I really wanted to hold onto Hansen, I was doing some research and discovered that there was a scenario several years prior when the league was holding an expansion draft (can’t remember the teams or players involved off the top of my head) and one team sent the expansion team a pick in exchange for not selecting a particular player. Something similar might be in the cards here if the situation isn’t resolved come 2021.

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

At this year’s trade deadline, IF the Canucks are more than 4 points out of the Wildcard spot and IF another team offered a back-up goalie + a 1st rounder for Markstrom, would you do it?

As a tough a decision as it would be, I think I would lean towards doing so.   Again, a lot of it would depend on Demko and if he looked like a guy that was ready to “carry and swallow the load so to speak,” but if Demko looked ready at that time, then I think I’d consider taking the plunge and taking the calculated risk.   Recouping the first lost in the Miller deal would be tempting.

On the flip side of that, it would be crazy to trade a Vezina calibre goalie in Markstrom (which is what he pretty much is now).   As good as Demko has looked so far, he still needs to a far bigger track record before he is handed the car keys.   

The other line of thought (and likely the route that I would go) is to simply keep Markstrom and Demko at all costs this year regardless of where we were in the standings.   Then, at the 2021 trade deadline, the Canucks could trade one of their goalies for whatever.   

Waiting until the 2021 trade deadline would also give the Canucks enough time to properly assess as to where the three goalies are.   Is Markstrom still playing a Vezina calibre level?   Is Demko at the same level that Corey Schneider was in 2012?.....and ready to take over?    Does Dipietro look like a guy that could realistically take over Markstrom’s potion in a few years?    Waiting until the 2021 deadline would give us a larger sample size to assess all of the above.

Anyways - that’s what I would do.    What about you guys?

Man you're all over the place.

1st you start a thread suggesting trading Markstrom.....but later say that you would go the route of keeping both Markstrom and Demko ?!?

Then you say that Markstrom is a Vezina caliber goalie...but despite that you are considering trading him ?!?!?

Then you say wait until the 2021 to trade either goalie.   Markstrom is UFA at the end of the year.  If we re-sign him this summer, it's certainly not to trade him at the 2021 deadline.  Then what happens with Demko. ?!?!?!?!?

IMO Markstrom is gone this summer.  I don't see a scenario where we re-sign Markstrom.    He's turning 30 this year and playing the best hockey of his career.  He'll want to cash-in and now is the time.   I think the Canucks would probably like to bring him back on a 2 year contract, but I'm guessing he'll want at least 4.  If we re-sign him long-term it'll be Luongo/Scheider all over again.  The only way we re-sign Markstrom is if Demko sucks so bad and the Canucks figure that he's not their long-term guy, which is unlikely.

I think we let Markstrom walk and hire a solid veteran backup on a 2 years contract and handing the reign to Demko next year.  Dipietro will play 1.5-2 more years in the AHL before eventually taking over the backup role.  Capwise, also makes a lot of sense.  

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

why are people so eager to trade Markstrom away? I wont be confident in Demko until hes played well in at least 2 full NHL seasons under his belt. 

I don't know if it's eagerness per se, I think it's just because Markstrom is a pending UFA with value and a segment of CDC just loves making trade proposals.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just curious, if we did happen to trade Markstrom and got a 1st in return, could we send the acquired pick to Tampa instead of our own?

JB would have to make a separate deal with Tampa to trade the newly acquired 1st for our own 1st.

Without other pieces being involved in that deal, I see no reason why that would ever happen.

7 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

JB would have to make a separate deal with Tampa to trade the newly acquired 1st for our own 1st.

Without other pieces being involved in that deal, I see no reason why that would ever happen.

You trade Demko this year, after we win the cup ;) 

TBAY gets 31st OA, we keep our newly acquired midpick range from an eastern conf. team

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Man you're all over the place.

1st you start a thread suggesting trading Markstrom.....but later say that you would go the route of keeping both Markstrom and Demko ?!?

Then you say that Markstrom is a Vezina caliber goalie...but despite that you are considering trading him ?!?!?

Then you say wait until the 2021 to trade either goalie.   Markstrom is UFA at the end of the year.  If we re-sign him this summer, it's certainly not to trade him at the 2021 deadline.  Then what happens with Demko. ?!?!?!?!?

IMO Markstrom is gone this summer.  I don't see a scenario where we re-sign Markstrom.    He's turning 30 this year and playing the best hockey of his career.  He'll want to cash-in and now is the time.   I think the Canucks would probably like to bring him back on a 2 year contract, but I'm guessing he'll want at least 4.  If we re-sign him long-term it'll be Luongo/Scheider all over again.  The only way we re-sign Markstrom is if Demko sucks so bad and the Canucks figure that he's not their long-term guy, which is unlikely.

I think we let Markstrom walk and hire a solid veteran backup on a 2 years contract and handing the reign to Demko next year.  Dipietro will play 1.5-2 more years in the AHL before eventually taking over the backup role.  Capwise, also makes a lot of sense.  

There’s a difference between “pushing for something” and facilitating discussion.   

I said that I would do strongly consider moving Markstrom for a back-up and a 1st at this year’s deadline, but would ultimately hold off on it and wait to see how things played out until the 2021 trade deadline.

9 hours ago, xereau said:

We should try to sign for a year 1 year so he is a UFA at the expansion draft, let him walk. Try to resign him after we protect Demko.

Ride a super solid platoon for 3 years. Set the meta.

Win the cup from the net out.

Markstrom will want a 4 - 5 yr contract between 4.5 million -- 5 million... I would wait until January and try and sign Markstrom as we don't want him to walk this summer..  Still want to see more of Demko but I really feel Demko with be ready for #1 duty next season..

Saying this I would try and trade Markstrom 30 yrs old in January, if you can get a 1st rounder in return.. 

Would not be hard to find veteran backup for Demko... Demko  23, 6'4 will be #1 guy for 7-9 yrs....

8 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

There’s a difference between “pushing for something” and facilitating discussion.   

I said that I would do strongly consider moving Markstrom for a back-up and a 1st at this year’s deadline, but would ultimately hold off on it and wait to see how things played out until the 2021 trade deadline.

I'd wait even beyond 2021 TDL, I don't think trading for a backup goalie would be the right way to go either. DiPietro is looking pretty good early in the AHL, still a couple years away from being able to back up an NHL goalie. I think as far as goalies go, we need to develop and promote from within our own system. It's just not wise to trade our top goalie for a moderate backup when we have elite potential on the way. Wait a few years so TD/MD can develop some more, then we can trade Marky for something we're missing in the skater positions.

No team is going to offer a 1st for a goalie that's 30.  

Every team knows that there are tons of goalies out there waiting to be discovered and thus valuable assets isn't always required to attain one.  

Elite goalies in the NHL:

Rinne - 8th round

Binnington - 3rd round

Bobrovsky - undrafted

Holtby - 4th round

Lundqvist - 7th round

Andersen - 3rd round

Jones - undrafted

If some team wants to get Markstrom for a 1st rounder.... the Canucks should immediately take it and run.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

At this year’s trade deadline, IF the Canucks are more than 4 points out of the Wildcard spot and IF another team offered a back-up goalie + a 1st rounder for Markstrom, would you do it?

As a tough a decision as it would be, I think I would lean towards doing so.   Again, a lot of it would depend on Demko and if he looked like a guy that was ready to “carry and swallow the load so to speak,” but if Demko looked ready at that time, then I think I’d consider taking the plunge and taking the calculated risk.   Recouping the first lost in the Miller deal would be tempting.

On the flip side of that, it would be crazy to trade a Vezina calibre goalie in Markstrom (which is what he pretty much is now).   As good as Demko has looked so far, he still needs to a far bigger track record before he is handed the car keys.   

The other line of thought (and likely the route that I would go) is to simply keep Markstrom and Demko at all costs this year regardless of where we were in the standings.   Then, at the 2021 trade deadline, the Canucks could trade one of their goalies for whatever.   

Waiting until the 2021 trade deadline would also give the Canucks enough time to properly assess as to where the three goalies are.   Is Markstrom still playing a Vezina calibre level?   Is Demko at the same level that Corey Schneider was in 2012?.....and ready to take over?    Does Dipietro look like a guy that could realistically take over Markstrom’s potion in a few years?    Waiting until the 2021 deadline would give us a larger sample size to assess all of the above.

Anyways - that’s what I would do.    What about you guys?

Depends more on Demkos record to that point, I know he's had a positive first 3 games but we need more games to tell us the real story about him. Marky could be a solid #1 for 3-5 yrs for us, not sure if I want to give that up without knowing Demko can be a future #1 for us and right now, we do not know

IF Jacob will sign for 5 mill(ish), 4 or 5 yrs, you do it. Give him trade-control..perhaps 10, 15 teams he wouldn't accept going to. Very fair.

Then over the next two yrs, IF we get an amazing offer for either 'tender(might even be part of a perfect pkg deal).. we can be choosy & demanding.

If the offers don't measure up, we run with great 'tending for two yrs, & decide then who to protect. Should Jacob be claimed, there's 5 mill to put towards EP & QH contracts. It's a pretty damnsweet prob to have.

I definitely understand the apprehension here with Markstrom playing so well, and he will definitely be looking for somewhere in the 5-6 million range I think (and that's fair). But we have to keep the expansion draft in mind and especially our cap. 

So if Demko continues to grow and shows he is getting close to being a starter then I think we should take the risk. We are a young team who are only starting to enter our competitive stage now and hopefully have that continue for a good number of years. Marky is about 30 and while he is peaking right now (which puts his value at its highest) there are a lot of factors that make me think we will have to eventually pick between him and Demko anyway. DiPietro is also progressing well and is something to consider in this decision. 

This is of course all dependent on if we can even get a 1st for him, but say that we can, then yeah why not. Let's take a chance on a big trade like this and add another piece or two to the future. 

6 hours ago, coastal.view said:

please advise the last time a goalie was traded

for a 1st round pick plus additional asset/s

we are talking about a 30 year old goalie who will be an ufa

this is simply crazy

He’s a Vezina calibre goalie.

When was the last time a Vezina calibre goalie was traded?

29 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

He’s a Vezina calibre goalie.

When was the last time a Vezina calibre goalie was traded?

so you think some team will pay that cost for a pending ufa

and he is not a vezina calibre goalie yet

he has not even had 1 full season equivalent of being a top tier goalie

nuck fans continually over rate the value of their players

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

so you think some team will pay that cost for a pending ufa

and he is not a vezina calibre goalie yet

he has not even had 1 full season equivalent of being a top tier goalie

nuck fans continually over rate the value of their players

Sandlack and Tanti for Gretzky sounds fair.

Edited by Hard_As_Ice