The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019/20 World Junior Championships

Rate this topic

Deathrowe

On 12/3/2019 at 5:48 PM, Alflives said:

Russian team has a lot of guys currently playing in mens’ leagues.  I think they win the Gold, and are led by Podkolzin the Great. 

I'd like to see a Sweden Russia final. Podz vs Hogs. 

Woo got Scroo'd. He should be on the team this year. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

54 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Oof, Wahlstrom and Boldy omitted. I liked both in their respective years, shows what I know. 

I don't think that's how it works for Wahlstom. Just like Veleno didn't get invited for Canada (was on the roster last year and would be an obvious lock right now). Both are playing in the AHL and I believe would have to get "released" by their respective teams. 

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I don't think that's how it works for Wahlstom. Just like Veleno didn't get invited for Canada (was on the roster last year and would be an obvious lock right now). Both are playing in the AHL and I believe would have to get "released" by their respective teams. 

I actually saw on tsn today that detroit is releasing Veleno to play this year.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I still want Canada to win, but I hope Hogs and Podz have a dominant tournament. Best of both worlds IMO.

I think there's way too much pressure on the Canadian kids to win gold. I hate that they're branded as failures if they come home with less than gold. Turns me off. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's way too much pressure on the Canadian kids to win gold. I hate that they're branded as failures if they come home with less than gold. Turns me off. 

I agree with this. Doesn't mean I don't root for my home country and I certainly don't brand them as failures (it's worse when a Canuck prospect is Canadian and they don't win gold). Canada is always going to be considered a favourite based on history, but other countries have certainly been catching up. It makes it a far more entertaining and interesting tournament when the playing field is levelled out. Still a proud Canadian though, but wish the best for our prospects. The teams that have our prospects are generally the alternate teams I root for. Except when it's the Americans, I still root for our prospect to have a good showing, but could care less if they succeed as a team.

Of course there's always going to be a Latvia or whoever there that generally gets blown out of the water, but it's also fun to cheer for the underdog and hear the good stories that come out of it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Oof, Wahlstrom and Boldy omitted. I liked both in their respective years, shows what I know. 

I think I saw an article that said Wahlstrom, approaching his tenth NHL game of the year & an active AHL pro in Bridgeport for the Islanders?

May still be released to play in the tourney.

His hype has dwindled, but is still a great prospect!

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That's fair; Jake took a ton of abuse for his performance a few years ago, and then DiPietro had to defend his teammates who'd frankly hung him out to dry.  At the end of the day, these are kids who are giving up Christmas with their families to give back to their country.  I'm not going to throw them under the bus but I'm sure as hell going to support them.  Go Canada!

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

There’s pressure on these Canadian kids because to some of these kids, this is their Stanley Cup playoffs. A good chunk of these kids will probably never see a daylight in the NHL. 

Just watch the video I posted, and if that doesn’t motivate you to be patriotic. Then I guess this tournament just isn’t for you.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I agree with this. Doesn't mean I don't root for my home country and I certainly don't brand them as failures (it's worse when a Canuck prospect is Canadian and they don't win gold). Canada is always going to be considered a favourite based on history, but other countries have certainly been catching up. It makes it a far more entertaining and interesting tournament when the playing field is levelled out. Still a proud Canadian though, but wish the best for our prospects. The teams that have our prospects are generally the alternate teams I root for. Except when it's the Americans, I still root for our prospect to have a good showing, but could care less if they succeed as a team.

Of course there's always going to be a Latvia or whoever there that generally gets blown out of the water, but it's also fun to cheer for the underdog and hear the good stories that come out of it.

If Canada ends up out and the Czech are still in it, we will be cheering for the home team for sure

Go Canada Go

and Go Canucks Prospects Go