The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what the heck is going on with Bob?? 10 million for this?

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, coastal.view said:

what the heck is going on with Bob in Florida.

he was supposed to be a saviour to that team

but he is crapping the bed completely

Player GP GS W L T OT SA GA GAA S Sv% SO MIN

8475683.jpgSergei Bobrovsky 8 8 3 2 0 3 221 29 3.88 192 .869 0 450

I'm totally shocked. Totally. Shocked.

Ian Clark effect on Bob.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I knew he'd have a bad year, he benefited from the CBJ system. He didn't suddenly gain abilities getting traded there. 

If they build a system around him I think he could thrive.

What system is that? He was like 22 when he got traded to CBJ. He has been around longer than Kekalainen (GM) and Tortorella (HC). Bobrobvsky has sustained his play long enough to be one of the top goalies of this decades. He was sustaining his play before he had the likes of Jones, Savard and Werenski around him. I do expect him to bounce back but handing that contract to a goalie will always be a mistake. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

What system is that? He was like 22 when he got traded to CBJ. He has been around longer than Kekalainen (GM) and Tortorella (HC). Bobrobvsky has sustained his play long enough to be one of the top goalies of this decades. He was sustaining his play before he had the likes of Jones, Savard and Werenski around him. I do expect him to bounce back but handing that contract to a goalie will always be a mistake. 

Panthers are a team I don't know much about, but going off the past CBJ is a pyhsical, defence first team and Bob benefitted from that. Flyers were all offence with him. Sure he was 22, but he became a god instantly at 23 when going from an offence first club to a defence first one.

Edited by Xbox
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

His play this season has certainly reminded me of another Russian goalie whose name started with B as well. 

Hint: It's Bryzgalov; and that ain't good. 

Maybe they're hanging out exchanging thoughts about the universe, lol.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

I knew he'd have a bad year, he benefited from the CBJ system. He didn't suddenly gain abilities getting traded there. 

If they build a system around him I think he could thrive.

Tortorella has been talking since the start of the season about how they now have to play tighter defensively because they no longer have Bobrovsky covering for them.

Foligno in Friedman's 31 thoughts:

21. Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno was rolling in his pre-game scrum Monday in Toronto. The team knows that it has to be more careful defensively in the post-Bobrovsky era. The Blue Jackets still grind you when structured, but used to take a lot more chances. Some players — like Seth Jones and Zach Werenski — still have that green light, others need to be more aware. 

“The difference now is that before, all of us would go up ice, see the puck go the other way, and say, ‘Good luck, Bob. We sold the farm,’” Foligno laughed. “Now, we know we have to do a better job.” Joonas Korpisalo was very good that night against Toronto.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big dollars and long term on a goalie are a recipe for losing.  

*sighs in Luongo*

It's an accurate statement though. Quick... no. Crawford (though his wasn't extraordinarily long), no. Luongo in truth, the last "4 years" and he's still got 3 to "go" (so the back half of the deal) - no.

Goalies are a weird breed.

Edited by brownky
  • Cheers 1

Let's see how Bobrovsky is mid-season.  Early returns on Bob's contract aren't great but he is adjusting to a new home, new system and new teammates.  I wouldn't write the contract off as a total loss for the Panthers so early but the $ commitment is a concern from the get-go irrespective of how well Bob plays.  Even the very best goalies can't steal games on that consistent of a basis to warrant that kind of $.

• Cheers 1

It's still early, he's got time to turn things around. It's a strange stat though. Florida's scoring goals (8th in the league), has a respectable PK (8th) and they get lots of shots o goal. But they're also 7th in penalty minutes and 30th in faceoff %. The face off stat would definitely hurt them in their own zone. 

Goaltending is a tricky position. The team's style of play and various structures in front of Bob impact the quality of chances and the number of them, so while his stats are his own they're also a reflection of the team in front of him to a certain extent. He's also a new player in Florida playing behind a system he's still getting familiar with. It's very unlikely he's just suddenly declined. 

At the end of the day they're still third in their division and there's lots of hockey left to be played. I wouldn't want him on that contract though. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It's only 10 games in really. The main thing I'd worry about is his mental health in being able to get out of the slump, but he is also an experienced goalie who has had ups and downs.

Goalie has to be one of the toughest positions in sports, if not the toughest.

• Cheers 1