The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade Erik Gudbranson to Ducks for Andreas Martinsen, 2021 7th-round pick

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well aside from the difference in price tags, I would take Sbisa any day over Gudbranson to help my team toughness.

If you watched Sbisa play, and heard his team mates and opponents talk about him, they always said he was the toughest guy to play against. He was always leaning on you, jabbing, and giving shots after whistles... generally making your life miserable every shift.

Gudbransn would have a few fights a year, but otherwise you rarely saw him engage with guys.  He saw himself as a heavyweight so his code was only to fight other heavyweights... not do things like making McDavid wish he never stepped foot in our zone with the puck.

I do remember an interview with Burrows about who he considers as the most agitating/annoying player in the NHL.  I think the first was Steve Ott and the second was Lucas Sbisa.  He is supposed to play the more truculent and agitating role, but much wasn't done in Vancouver.

In terms of "deterrent", Gudbranson is more effective, but he's an honest player.  Sbisa isn't... but he isn't as big as EG.  

• Upvote 1

I guess Jani Hakanpaa is really not an option. Looked like a solid under the radar signing during the offseason. And his play ( big, physical, some offense, not overly mobile ) was what Murray said he wanted badly in his lineup.

I wonder if he will go back to Europe then if not getting a chance with the Ducks.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Amazed at how Benning didn't have to retain a cent of salary on Guddy's contract.

At the time of the trade, Pearson wasn't looking so hot either

It kind of looked like the Lucic/Neal deal. Kind of still does.

Edited by lmm
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Next trade will be for future considerations.....  

I personally liked Guddy, but just doesn't quite fit the new NHL.

Yep.  Around the 2000’s he’d be exactly what teams wanted for a defensive defenseman.   He has reach and is strong enough to grab and hold onto anyone.   Florida missed the boat - still like the guy, just never put it all together. If he was dradted after the second or third round doubtful he’d have played more then a handful of games unless he went full enforcer, and even then it was too late for that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Gudbranson will finally benefit our team. Easy goals for when he’s on the ice 

Just tell the players not to make him mad.  Any of our guys would end up like Harmonic if they challenge him.:shock:

I like how JB is able to realize a mistake and then (somehow) find a way to fix it.  I will be really amazed if he does this with Loui!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Rutherford didn't do so bad.

He signed Perron for free. Traded him won two cups with Hagelin then traded him ended up with Pearson then Guddy and now a 7th.

So Rutherford got 2 cups and a 7th for a free player he signed. 

Not so bad. I don't think Pens fans are mad at him.  

didn't realise it was those moves that won him the cup!

• Haha 1