The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade Erik Gudbranson to Ducks for Andreas Martinsen, 2021 7th-round pick

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

I smell high percentage starts for MDZ and Guddy so they can pump and dump them at the deadline.

I smell a team looking for a top 5 pick.

They probably saw what we did with them on our roster and decided bring in a couple tank commanders.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

I smell high percentage starts for MDZ and Guddy so they can pump and dump them at the deadline.

Except that Gudbranson is decidedly a shutdown defenseman - he's not in the top 20 in Anaheim in ozone starts - he forms a shutdown pairing there, one they are quite happy with.

in other woreds, he's not really a candidate for the 'pump and dump' dynamic  - they acquired him knowing what he is, not, I imagine, not hoping to make him what he's not, and try to sell that to other teams.  I think the upside of that deal was Pittsburgh needing to move cap - they were selling Johsnon and Gud and in the cap climate at the time, had to take whatever they could get.

Teams that get suckered by pump and dump tactics are 'analytically' vulnerable - ie fewer and further between.  What Gillis did with Hodgson, for example, is not quite as possible in the present - that was at the start of a 'curve' you might say, that doesn't really fool many, if any, clubs any longer - at least not ones with remotely good decision-making.

And Del Zotto's market value is somewhat established - he signed a one year, 750k deal - he got traded a couple times last year for late/end of the draft picks...

I don't think teams quite operate in the same 'asset-management' mentality as fans of a rething - he might be sold as a rental, but it's hard to imagine the inflation/pump having great effect on his value.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, kingofsurrey said:

7th round picks turning into an NHL prospect....  not likely. 

True this kid I know got drafted he said in the 9th round 2016. Guy went from Abs to a 6pack beer belly and playing div 3 hockey now. 

I had no idea there was 2 secret rounds in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

True this kid I know got drafted he said in the 9th round 2016. Guy went from Abs to a 6pack beer belly and playing div 3 hockey now. 

I had no idea there was 2 secret rounds in the draft. 

No secrets. There used to be more rounds. Maybe 9? I believe Jannik Hansen was a 9th round pick. At some point they reduced it to 7 rounds. Still quite low compared to Major League Baseball, which has 937 rounds each year. Eventually they run out of players and start drafting umpires and mascots.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

No secrets. There used to be more rounds. Maybe 9? I believe Jannik Hansen was a 9th round pick. At some point they reduced it to 7 rounds. Still quite low compared to Major League Baseball, which has 937 rounds each year. Eventually they run out of players and start drafting umpires and mascots.

Yeah I got drafted in the 937th round by Texas because I played first year junior high slow pitch. So many unnecessary rounds, you think you'd be able to scout players better and limit the rounds. But when you have like 8 teams in your farm system... 

On 1/23/2020 at 12:13 PM, Sedinery33 said:

Yeah I got drafted in the 937th round by Texas because I played first year junior high slow pitch. So many unnecessary rounds, you think you'd be able to scout players better and limit the rounds. But when you have like 8 teams in your farm system... 

It's a different animal. I'm not opposed to that many rounds. If rich organizations are willing to invest in that many kids, all the power to them. Even if you don't make it to the bigs, that's still a pretty big feather in your cap to be drafted. I remember my old neighbour in Victoria got drafted as a pitcher by the Yankees when he was younger and I thought that was so cool. He'd probably be 90 now if he's still alive. 

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

It's a different animal. I'm not opposed to that many rounds. If rich organizations are willing to invest in that many kids, all the power to them. Even if you don't make it to the bigs, that's still a pretty big feather in your cap to be drafted. I remember my old neighbour in Victoria got drafted as a pitcher by the Yankees when he was younger and I thought that was so cool. He'd probably be 90 now if he's still alive. 

It would be a pretty cool thing, and sometimes you never know. Especially with young people, they could put it all together and make it... It's crazy how many players from the 30th - 40th round of the MLB draft actually play and have decent careers

• Cheers 1