The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Washington Capitals at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 25, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The same coach whose team jumped out to a quick start against a very tough Capitals team.  It's all about perspective.  

The guys often start slow but came out on fire...perhaps they ran out of gas, that's all?  

And consider that a good team like the Caps doesn't just roll over and die...they came out, hard.  The coach can only prepare so much against that.  A couple of goals that likely shouldn't have gone it, but I'm giving Marky a pass on them because he can't be perfect.  He's damn near been close.

As well as the Canucks have played this season they do not have the experience the Capitals have. This game was part of the maturing process which will culminate in a serious CUP run in 3 years. Might I suggest that many fans will have to go through the same maturing process. Green is a positive in this process.  

This particular game had a lot of mistakes on both sides. The Cap goal tender hardly had a stellar outing. The Refs blew  a couple of calls. The Canucks were sloppy in their own end. Marky, even with 5 goals against, made many great saves. I suggest that the Canuck goaltending has been a big part of their success. The satisfaction I take from this game and many others is that the Canucks were not ran out of their rink. Last year they were in many games. This roster is showing a physical determination that makes them a playoff team.   

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green’s game coaching is good.  He made a mistake starting a very tired (physically and mentally) Marky.  The Caps scored 4 goals on their last 8 shots.  

I don't think I agree, Alf.

To pull Marky, who's been lights out, might send the wrong message and mess with his head.  Keeping him in showed a faith in him and he's one of those goaltenders who will rise up above a bad performance rather than need to be "sheltered" from it.  He seems like his mental game is strong and that's likely part of letting him "work through" things rather than sit and think about them.  I believe his pride is such that he can handle having a bad stint but pulling him makes it even more glaring?  Just had a bad period...but it happens.  

You also have to factor in who is replacing him...and how that situation might impact them moving forward.  If you assign the loss to them should things still turn out the same (or worse)

Just what my gut tells me.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think I agree, Alf.

To pull Marky, who's been lights out, might send the wrong message and mess with his head.  Keeping him in showed a faith in him and he's one of those goaltenders who will rise up above a bad performance rather than need to be "sheltered" from it.  He seems like his mental game is strong and that's likely part of letting him "work through" things rather than sit and think about them.  

Just what my gut tells me.

I agree.  I’m saying Marky shouldn’t have started the game.  He travelled to Sweden, and dealt with serious family matters, then flew back to join the team back east.  Then he played, and flew back here.  Demko was playing great and completely rested.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green’s game coaching is good.  He made a mistake starting a very tired (physically and mentally) Marky.  The Caps scored 4 goals on their last 8 shots.  

You are pointing out ANOTHER of Green's errors... starting Marky.

In addition he should have pulled Marky after it became obvious he was having a bad game... but he didn't... another error.

But it wasn't all on Markstrom... in the third period the team was clearly allowing the Caps to gain the O-Zone much too easily... that should have been pointed out to the players... wasn't done.  The team needed an adjustment in how they were structuring defensive play... wasn't done.

Green completely lost control of the game.  There is no other way to explain allowing 4 goals in that short period of time .

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

In addition he should have pulled Marky after it became obvious he was having a bad game... but he didn't... another error.

But it wasn't all on Markstrom... in the third period the team was clearly allowing the Caps to gain the O-Zone much too easily... that should have been pointed out to the players... wasn't done.  The team needed an adjustment in how they were structuring defensive play... wasn't done.

Green completely lost control of the game.  There is no other way to explain allowing 4 goals in that short period of time .

Caps scored 4 goals in 21 minutes but only had 8 shots.  The team played well.  Marky struggled.  That’s a bad decision by Green.  No, can’t pull Marky with us winning.  

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Young teams break when they get big leads and the other team starts to push. You saw it after the 3rd goal. Samsonov then started playing lights out and it was over.

The Super Bowl with the Ravens vs Patriots is another example. It is not coaching as there is nothing theycan do. The team just dies. It happens in all sports. 

Canucks learnt a lesson as a young team. Betternow than later

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What are your credentials, though, in assigning blame/error and critiquing NHL coaches?  That's important to me.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  I’m saying Marky shouldn’t have started the game.  He travelled to Sweden, and dealt with serious family matters, then flew back to join the team back east.  Then he played, and flew back here.  Demko was playing great and completely rested.  

OK, I accept that.  Thanks for clarifying for me.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, Pete M said:

Any team with a 5-1 lead should be able to finish the game with a win if they play the full 60 minutes....for whatever reason...coaches strategy, complacency, smugness,  confidence, not in shape, underestimate, etc. the team needs to work out the kinks.

I agree, we used our back to back games reason for our other third  period collapse yet the Capitals were in game 2of a back to back 

I am worried about the fitness of the Canucks 

we are a young team, what gives? 

either way Green needs stop having the boys defend the lead.....it does not work 

• Cheers 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:26 AM, Viper007 said:

Wow, don't let facts get in your way.  Real coaches like JQ? ... the coach who has a 4-2-4 record?  The team that's been suppose to be a real good team who signed Bobrovsky?  Who has a true elite #1 centreman and RW in Barkov and Huberdeau?  Had a #1 overall drafted D-men in Ekblad?  I don't think that's a much weaker roster.  Stop your TG hating, you're sounding stupid, considering facts don't back it up.

Are you serious? Questioning JQ ? Really? 

hmmm how did his dad sack team do against the Oilers today? 

oh and the Blackhawks?

give your head a shake 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Are you serious? Questioning JQ ? Really? 

hmmm how did his dad sack team do against the Oilers today? 

oh and the Blackhawks?

give your head a shake 

If you're comparing this years teams, I'll take the canucks over the panthers.  The canucks have played pretty well in all the games.  Can't say the same for the panthers.