The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Adam Gaudette

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

In all seriousness though, I’m not sure if I agree with this decision.      

It would be better for Gaudette to get a ton of ice time in Utica would it not?  (unless management is banking on the fact that being sent down to Utica served as a wake up call for Gaudette and that he’ll come back to the team looking to prove a point).   But still Gaudette - will likely be on the 4th line rubbing balls with Beagle and Schaller.

I don’t know.....I just think it would have been better to play Gaudette down in Utica and give him big top 6 minutes.   

I’m also not a fan of how Eriksson is being treated here.    Eriksson is the 13th forward and should be drawing in when others are hurt.......especially when the injured player (Motte) is a winger.

If Eriksson is going to provide the team with insurance when the injury bug hits, then he’ll need to get some games in.......and be treated with respect.

I’m not sure if I agree with this move.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

In all seriousness though, I’m not sure if I agree with this decision.      

It would be better for Gaudette to get a ton of ice time in Utica would it not?  (unless management is banking on the fact that being sent down to Utica served as a wake up call for Gaudette and that he’ll come back to the team looking to prove a point).   But still Gaudette - will likely be on the 4th line rubbing balls with Beagle and Schaller.

I don’t know.....I just think it would have been better to play Gaudette down in Utica and give him big top 6 minutes.   

I’m also not a fan of how Eriksson is being treated here.    Eriksson is the 13th forward and should be drawing in when others are hurt.......especially when the injured player (Motte) is a winger.

If Eriksson is going to provide the team with insurance when the injury bug hits, then he’ll need to get some games in.......and be treated with respect.

I’m not sure if I agree with this move.

Maybe if Eriksson played up to his contract he wouldn't be in the situation he is. Kind hard to feel bad for a guy getting paid what he does while not living up to expectations.

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Maybe if Eriksson played up to his contract he wouldn't be in the situation he is. Kind hard to feel bad for a guy getting paid what he does while not living up to expectations.

exactly why pro sports contracts should be all done like the NFL in my opinion. You stink it up you get cut or released. Some can say that is harsh but hey they are making a lot of $ playing a game!

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Despite being grossly overpaid, Eriksson is still a decent NHL’er that plays very good responsible hockey.    For this year atleast, he’s a good option to have as a 13th forward when injuries hit.  

Playing mind games with Eriksson and using him as a Team Mascot / human toilet doesn’t do anyone any good.   

Eriksson should be the one in the line-up right now, not Gaudette.    Gaudette should be in Utica leading the charge.

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Despite being grossly overpaid, Eriksson is still a decent NHL’er that plays very good responsible hockey.    For this year atleast, he’s a good option to have as a 13th forward when injuries hit.  

Playing mind games with Eriksson and using him as a Team Mascot / human toilet doesn’t do anyone any good.   

Eriksson should be the one in the line-up right now, not Gaudette.    Gaudette should be in Utica leading the charge.

Regardless of his defensive play and I do agree i would rather see Gaudette playing big minutes in Utica, what if Eriksson has mailed it in. As in barely participating during practice and showing he doesn’t care? Coaches and staff see more than we are exposed to. It makes sense Eriksson should get a shot again but if he isn’t practicing hard, he will never get the call either. 

• Cheers 2

Losing Motte is disappointing,.  Some real heart and blue collar hockey created with his presence.. he’s brought some fantastic chemistry to mix in with Beagle and Schaller.

Rousell should be back soon I beleive,.  at this point I would still rather see Guadette getting great minutes in Utica .. and that not taking away anything from Guadettes play with us,.  But sitting on the bench up here is great for putting cash in his pocket, but is doing nothing for his game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

Regardless of his defensive play and I do agree i would rather see Gaudette playing big minutes in Utica, what if Eriksson has mailed it in. As in barely participating during practice and showing he doesn’t care? Coaches and staff see more than we are exposed to. It makes sense Eriksson should get a shot again but if he isn’t practicing hard, he will never get the call either. 

That’s a very good point.   You are absolutely correct that we aren’t privy to all of the information and facts that the coaches have.   I could definitely see that Eriksson scenario that you painted above being a possibility.

I think Gaudette was coming back up after this weekend no matter, hence why they never called anybody else up when they sent him down to play in AHL this weekend. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Eriksson plays Monday night but lets not forget Gaudette was better than Eriksson in the preseason. So he should probably get the start over Eriksson.

Is anybody familiar with Re-entry waivers and will Baertschi or Goldobin need to pass through them if they get recalled, I'm thinking both have a better chance of getting claimed now that their performing well down in Utica. Especially Baertschi if the claiming team only has to pay half his salary.

Edited by TheRealistOptimist

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I think Gaudette was coming back up after this weekend no matter, hence why they never called anybody else up when they sent him down to play in AHL this weekend. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Eriksson plays Monday night but lets not forget Gaudette was better than Eriksson in the preseason. So he should probably get the start over Eriksson.

Is anybody familiar with Re-entry waivers and will Baertschi or Goldobin need to pass through them if they get recalled, I'm thinking both have a better chance of getting claimed now that their performing well down in Utica. Especially Baertschi if the claiming team only has to pay half his salary.

There are no re-entry waivers.  

Players who went through waivers remain waiver free for 24 days on the roster or 10 NHL games - whatever comes 1st.   It's cumulative between recalls and doesn't get set back to zero before the player clears again.   

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

There are no re-entry waivers.  

Players who went through waivers remain waiver free for 24 days on the roster or 10 NHL games - whatever comes 1st.   It's cumulative between recalls and doesn't get set back to zero before the player clears again.   

Awesome thanks for clearing that up. It must have been an old article I read.

16 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Is he living up to it in the press box? Honestly, it doesn't really matter what he makes, because we don't pay him and he gets the money regardless. All he needs to do is perform a role even if it's just checking and pk.

17 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

exactly why pro sports contracts should be all done like the NFL in my opinion. You stink it up you get cut or released. Some can say that is harsh but hey they are making a lot of $ playing a game!

It would really suck if a player signs a contract and then get injured... but cleared enough to play again... but not remotely close to the level as before and then the contract gets terminated.  

If anything, the NHL should allow teams to buyout contracts without any consequences (50% of the contract paid out over a period of time or something).  

Just means more money for the PA members.