The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philly/Van, About Late-Jan(Proposal)

Day off, so figured we needed something to chew on. 2 proposals here..A & B. Let's establish a few reasonable season-projections in mid-January, for discussion's sake:

- Philly looks pretty good, but their key 'tender is too young(as he showed today, yarded out after 5 goals). AV likes a stud in net, like Lu's heyday.

- Both our 'tenders look great. About 2.40 avg & 92.3-.93% sv pct

- We talk contract with JM..a lil' steep for $ and/or term. Expansion is here soon!

Van deals: Markstrom & Stecher to Philly, for:

pkg A- Elliott & Sanheim. (coin is almost even, our pkg about 600k extra)

- this would make our right side almost as deeep as anyone's. Sanheim gives us another 6'3" defender, that can pile up pts. We'd have blueline space to protect this guy at ED

- Elliott's here a few months to make the coffee, & sub in the odd game. Contract expires.

pkg B- Elliott, Phillipe Myers.

(this deal we retain 50% for Jacob, & add cond 2021 pick..a 2nd/3rd, pending relative performance w/ JM & Myers)

- If Tryamkin returned,our RH D-side would be a redwood forest

I hear this young Flyers D-man is highly regarded. However they've been wasting yrs with unbalanced lineups. I think they might be completely tired of differing stages/ages for fwds/D-men/goaltenders. They've got to consolidate assets into a roster, mostly composed of prime vets. They could make a run at winning their division, if they're decisive.

Jacob has prob made quite an impression on them, from the last few we've played.

Vigneault coached the Worlds this year for team Canada.  They can ice 20 skaters and went with 7Ds.  As the tourney went on Stecher kept on losing his ice time.  He started top-4 to finish 7th D.  In the final game he only played 6:36.  Philippe Myers joined mid-tourney and even played more than Stecher.  

Don't think Vigneault would have much interest in adding Stecher.  

Myers and Sanheim are core players for Philadelphia - Niskanen and Braun will be moving on.  Markstrom is a UFA by the end of the year while these players are under team control for years to come.  

Fletcher got Dubnyk for a 3rd round pick.  Fletcher gave up too many assets at the TDL for limited results back in Minnesota - he said he learned from that. 

28 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

I swear I can't humanly fathom why everyone is talking about trading Markstrom.

I get that his value is high and I understand that the expansion draft is looming, but still.

Marky is disappoint.

Yeah, but again it's simply discussion. First I said, do try to sign him(reasonably..to me that's 4 or 5 yrs in 5 mill range). I think he'll probably give his John Henry on the dotted line.

So again, this is predicated upon him looking for a significantly higher figure. In that instance, prob be okay to go w/ the kid, & fetch a top asset. I'd like them to know where both sides stand at mid-season.

7 hours ago, mll said:

Vigneault coached the Worlds this year for team Canada.  They can ice 20 skaters and went with 7Ds.  As the tourney went on Stecher kept on losing his ice time.  He started top-4 to finish 7th D.  In the final game he only played 6:36.  Philippe Myers joined mid-tourney and even played more than Stecher.  

Don't think Vigneault would have much interest in adding Stecher.  

Myers and Sanheim are core players for Philadelphia - Niskanen and Braun will be moving on.  Markstrom is a UFA by the end of the year while these players are under team control for years to come.  

Fletcher got Dubnyk for a 3rd round pick.  Fletcher gave up too many assets at the TDL for limited results back in Minnesota - he said he learned from that. 

Flyers will not trade for 29yr old Markstrom or any other goalie...They have a top notch 21 yr old goalie playing as there #1 right now...Did you see him play in Vancouver?  He has been that super goalie at every level..I watched him dominate in WHL, played amazing at world Jr tourney for 2 yrs ..He has had a good start to his young NHL career already and only 21 yrs, old future is so bright..

Edited by wildcam

On 10/29/2019 at 2:14 AM, mll said:

Elliott was just named the NHL's 3rd star of the week.

Then you BLINK & he's let 3 by on 7 shots(like Hart last game). You can almost go all the way back to Pelle Lindberg..Flyers just can't get that position sorted.

So they'll pin all hopes on some kid, hoping not to break more Hart(s)?

I suggest they might overpay for a highly performing vet. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

edit: Whoops, make that FOUR goals, so far. Flyers pullin' the goalie again, like a bad habit!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
tender-meltdowns