The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

11 minutes ago, spur1 said:

The thing is the employers control the markets and a lot of the political policies. 
You may want to up your level and look at the bigger picture. 

They don’t, if I’m one of the best in my industry I will have multiple companies offering me contracts. 

If I didn’t think I was getting paid my value I’m completely free to look else where for employment. Which I have down so 3 times in my career.

But even more so I’m noticing the working environment has been changing. Companies are offering so much more outside of pay to entice people to stay. An friend of my is a director for a major Canadian company and he’s been telling how hard it is to retain quality employees. They’ve introduced optional days to work remote, half day fridays, and even has considered reducing the work days from 8 hours to 6. This is capitalism. competition for good resources means they need to enhance there offering. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They don’t, if I’m one of the best in my industry I will have multiple companies offering me contracts. 

If I didn’t think I was getting paid my value I’m completely free to look else where for employment. Which I have down so 3 times in my career.

But even more so I’m noticing the working environment has been changing. Companies are offering so much more outside of pay to entice people to stay. An friend of my is a director for a major Canadian company and he’s been telling how hard it is to retain quality employees. They’ve introduced optional days to work remote, half day fridays, and even has considered reducing the work days from 8 hours to 6. This is capitalism. competition for good resources means they need to enhance there offering. 

What you are talking about is only for an elite few. Get on down off your high horse and come on down to where I have friends in low places. They sure were not offering anything like that to the sawmill workers on the island that were on strike for months. 

• Vintage 1

Help or Hindrance I don't know.

But Mr. Downing, the WEXIT party leader has been sharing posts suggesting and in some cases seemingly in support of violence against First Nations on social media.  Whether or not he's engaging further in posts who knows but the captions kind of speak for themselves.

TBH I think this will only bolster his parties visibility as a safe haven for those further right of CPC or PPC.

Edited by Warhippy

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Help or Hindrance I don't know.

But Mr. Downing, the WEXIT party leader has been openly sharing posts of and in support of violence against First Nations on social media.  Whether or not he's engaging further in posts who knows but the captions kind of speak for themselves.

TBH I think this will only bolster his parties visibility as a safe haven for those further right of CPC or PPC.

Another reason to be against Wexit. They have it all backwards. 

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

What you are talking about is only for an elite few. Get on down off your high horse and come on down to where I have friends in low places. They sure were not offering anything like that to the sawmill workers on the island that were on strike for months. 

We are all narcissists but there are some of us who have convinced themselves that they got to their present station in life solely due to their own abilities. It allows them to persistently look down upon those who are down on their luck. When you are so far removed from poverty, it can become tough to empathize with the destitute masses. It is only when I visited third world countries did I realize how life is far from fair and incredibly difficult for so many people around this world. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Violator said:

So Diane is positioning hers entire statement around Canada's high living standards being eroded due to energy downturns and blaming Trudeau?

I question the level of intelligence of anyone who sincerely thinks that the Libs are out to harm canada or do not want projects started.  In 4 years more projects have been given approval or started than 2 terms under the former conservatives.  Why the hell do people not understand the basic math behind this, or the basic math behind market pricing?

teck needed $70+ as a basic break even, literally bare basic break even.  Profit was closer to $80+ a barrel.  They lost money on fort hills before securing partnership.  EVERYONE in Albertas energy sector is hurting and that's LITERALLY only due to the low price of oil.  Projected numbers see the price even dropping further due to the corona virus, less need but continued over production from opec nations.

To claim that it's the government, it's the policies.  Companies don't want the ridicule or bother is asinine.  If oil was trading at or around $80 a barrel Teck would be digging today as would dozens of other smaller outfits.  But they're not.  Why?  Because it's too expensive in canada vs the US, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, anywhere in the middle east, the north sea Norway, russia.  Anywhere with lighter sweeter crude that doesn't need the volume of heavy refining and extra steps to make a profit.

Dianes column reads like simple whining without much attention to facts or basic business sense

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Toews said:

We are all narcissists but there are some of us who have convinced themselves that they got to their present station in life solely due to their own abilities. It allows them to persistently look down upon those who are down on their luck. When you are so far removed from poverty, it can become tough to empathize with the destitute masses. It is only when I visited third world countries did I realize how life is far from fair and incredibly difficult for so many people around this world. 

I can assure you there is nothing like shoveling out a septic tank or even worse a chicken coop hungover to ground a person to reality. 
It even puts a Canucks loss in perspective. B)

Edited by spur1

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So Diane is positioning hers entire statement around Canada's high living standards being eroded due to energy downturns and blaming Trudeau?

I question the level of intelligence of anyone who sincerely thinks that the Libs are out to harm canada or do not want projects started.  In 4 years more projects have been given approval or started than 2 terms under the former conservatives.  Why the hell do people not understand the basic math behind this, or the basic math behind market pricing?

teck needed $70+ as a basic break even, literally bare basic break even.  Profit was closer to $80+ a barrel.  They lost money on fort hills before securing partnership.  EVERYONE in Albertas energy sector is hurting and that's LITERALLY only due to the low price of oil.  Projected numbers see the price even dropping further due to the corona virus, less need but continued over production from opec nations.

To claim that it's the government, it's the policies.  Companies don't want the ridicule or bother is asinine.  If oil was trading at or around $80 a barrel Teck would be digging today as would dozens of other smaller outfits.  But they're not.  Why?  Because it's too expensive in canada vs the US, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, anywhere in the middle east, the north sea Norway, russia.  Anywhere with lighter sweeter crude that doesn't need the volume of heavy refining and extra steps to make a profit.

Dianes column reads like simple whining without much attention to facts or basic business sense

Its about moving the goal posts and the liberals and every government seems to keep doing it.

40 minutes ago, Violator said:

Its about moving the goal posts and the liberals and every government seems to keep doing it.

every government certainly does.

But I dislike uninformed opinions being portrayed as genuine fact like canadian newsprint is doing lately.  The writer should have rightfully pointed out that teck itself said the main reason the project was not going through was due to market forces and evolving social views on energy production.

But she didn't.  She pointed her finger and that's not cool

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

every government certainly does.

But I dislike uninformed opinions being portrayed as genuine fact like canadian newsprint is doing lately.  The writer should have rightfully pointed out that teck itself said the main reason the project was not going through was due to market forces and evolving social views on energy production.

But she didn't.  She pointed her finger and that's not cool

Do we really know the full story on why they pulled the plug?

I cant comment on that as the information is murky.your complaining that costs are high but everything costs alot in canada.

1 hour ago, Violator said:

Do we really know the full story on why they pulled the plug?

I cant comment on that as the information is murky.your complaining that costs are high but everything costs alot in canada.

Here's one take

https://albertapolitics.ca/2020/02/what-really-happened-to-the-teck-frontier-oilsands-mine-its-the-market-stupid/

Here's the break even statement

FB_IMG_1582873346572.jpg

The truth is. Economically it costs as much as 3x more to produce a barrel in Alberta than other US markets simply because of the type of oil. 

Edited by Warhippy

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Here's one take

https://albertapolitics.ca/2020/02/what-really-happened-to-the-teck-frontier-oilsands-mine-its-the-market-stupid/

Here's the break even statement

FB_IMG_1582873346572.jpg

The truth is. Economically it costs as much as 3x more to produce a barrel in Alberta than other US markets simply because of the type of oil. 

Which type of oil are you talking about? You realize Alberta has light sweet crude as well right?

Edited by Ryan Strome

14 hours ago, spur1 said:

No that’s not just for an elite few, that’s for anyone who brings value to society.  Anyone that is able to fill a supply that has a demand. 

Nothing is stopping anyone from remaining at a job, Nothing.  Every single person has the freedom to make that choice and almost every single person has the freedom to improve their own skill set to improve their value in society. The helps society grow and now just become stagnant and complacent. 

instead of actually making smart choices in life, people have now resorted to blaming others for their wo’s. There’s only a select few that are valid in their calls for help and society should do a better job at supporting them but again that’s a select few.

This is not me being out of touch, this is me sharing life lessons that people need to understand, I donate 10% to charities, I volunteer at non profit, my wife was raised by a single mother and grew up living between low income housing and a fly in native reserve. I understand poverty and I also understand that’s its not easy break when you become relient on the handout of others. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Which type of oil are you talking about? You realize Alberta has light sweet crude as well right?

Im very aware.  But you know full well what I am talking about and it's the majority product produced.  Heavy crude/Bitumen.  Even Venezuela's heavy crude is cheaper to produce as it's an actual heavy crude, not a bitumen product

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Im very aware.  But you know full well what I am talking about and it's the majority product produced.  Heavy crude/Bitumen.  Even Venezuela's heavy crude is cheaper to produce as it's an actual heavy crude, not a bitumen product

So are you completely ignoring recent comments from teck?

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So are you completely ignoring recent comments from teck?

Which ones?

The need for a bare minimum price?  Or a partner to mitigate cost and risk?

The changing social views on energy production that make it essential for governments to ensure social views are met prior to major projects being started?

Think it's bad now.  Demand for oil is down almost 25% across the board due to the corona virus.  It's only started to get bad because it's going to get a lot worse

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Which ones?

The need for a bare minimum price?  Or a partner to mitigate cost and risk?

The changing social views on energy production that make it essential for governments to ensure social views are met prior to major projects being started?

Think it's bad now.  Demand for oil is down almost 25% across the board due to the corona virus.  It's only started to get bad because it's going to get a lot worse

my point is you are using comments made from them but you're not using the most recent comments you are disregarding those comments but using older comments to justify your argument. I know you will argue it but it's fact, under Trudeau there is no investor confidence in our energy sector. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

my point is you are using comments made from them but you're not using the most recent comments you are disregarding those comments but using older comments to justify your argument. I know you will argue it but it's fact, under Trudeau there is no investor confidence in our energy sector. 

That was literally from their press release the day the stood down on the project.  Second to last paragraph

Edited by Warhippy

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

does it have enough of that to sustain its own economy, if all other types were discontinued?