The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's right.

The rich will get help, those without won't.  But there's literally zero question this will be subsidized in short order by taxpayers because "canada's climate isn't friendly to for profit care"

its a nothing burger. Its a policy document by the UCP party that dies in the Supreme Court if they ever try to enact it. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

its a nothing burger. Its a policy document by the UCP party that dies in the Supreme Court if they ever try to enact it. 

BUT....it will cost literally millions in wasted tax dollars to fight it.

Meanwhile the UCP just gave a 3 year property tax holiday and break to oil companies willing to construct new wells or pipelines.  They have ignored all requests by municipalities in regards to how they will recoup that money

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

BUT....it will cost literally millions in wasted tax dollars to fight it.

Meanwhile the UCP just gave a 3 year property tax holiday and break to oil companies willing to construct new wells or pipelines.  They have ignored all requests by municipalities in regards to how they will recoup that money

meh, Alberta dollars. Let them waste it.

We've seen this show in AB before, they just can't move off certain concepts that harm them. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

and didn't people from b.c tell people with Alberta plates to leave? 

I agree that alberta has messed up and it's our fault.....

im not disagreeing with that.....

but kenny has already stated his shipping the rcmp out ha and creating jobs for albertans. 

Also what other industries offer an actual living wage? Sorry min wage won't cut it for most families.....

also got to remember most boss's look down on oil experience...cause they know if or when the patch comes back everyone runs back so.....

Every politician on the planet offers to "create jobs". It's probably the number one proposition a politician makes. It's at the point where I just sigh when I hear it.

Governments don't create jobs (at least not on the level they're usually implying). Businesses create jobs. It's one of those things that sounds great on a government's agenda, but are hardly implemented by the government since it's mostly to do with a much larger scale than the government itself. If the economy happens to rebound during their tenure they'll "take all the credit", but if it doesn't then it before a sour point until the next time they get elected.... which will have the exact same spiel about jobs!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have absolutely nothing to do with it all, but I think what's at play is much more than what the government could ever hope to do.

Edited by The Lock

45 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Every politician on the planet offers to "create jobs". It's probably the number one proposition a politician makes. It's at the point where I just sigh when I hear it.

Governments don't create jobs (at least not on the level they're usually implying). Businesses create jobs. It's one of those things that sounds great on a government's agenda, but are hardly implemented by the government since it's mostly to do with a much larger scale than the government itself. If the economy happens to rebound during their tenure they'll "take all the credit", but if it doesn't then it before a sour point until the next time they get elected.... which will have the exact same spiel about jobs!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have absolutely nothing to do with it all, but I think what's at play is much more than what the government could ever hope to do.

But look at trump.....hate him or like him , he brought jobs back to the USA to replace the jobs they would lose thx to oil......JT has done nothing like that for Canada 

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But look at trump.....hate him or like him , he brought jobs back to the USA to replace the jobs they would lose thx to oil......JT has done nothing like that for Canada 

Trump's given jobs to a few people and taken far more from people.

It's not a good comparison.

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Seven million jobs? Ha how many has it created ? Ha 

You are seriously going to believe HE made 7 million jobs?

No. The economy made 7 million jobs. Read what I said previous about all of this. Read it again.

EDIT: Not to mention he'd claim he invented electricity if it meant more votes.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

You are seriously going to believe HE made 7 million jobs?

No. The economy made 7 million jobs. Read what I said previous about all of this. Read it again.

EDIT: Not to mention he'd claim he invented electricity if it meant more votes.

Who's responsible for the economy doing well? Last time I check it was the leader of the country. .....

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Who's responsible for the economy doing well? Last time I check it was the leader of the country. .....

The businesses, like I said earlier. Governments can only do so much for the economy, otherwise Alberta would have never lost as many oil sands jobs as they did.

Just now, The Lock said:

The businesses, like I said earlier. Governments can only do so much for the economy, otherwise Alberta would have never lost as many oil sands jobs as they did.

Tariffs and forcing manufactoring companies back to the states to create jobs is government flexing on business's and just proves my point and JT didn't do anything like that. 

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Tariffs and forcing manufactoring companies back to the states to create jobs is government flexing on business's and just proves my point and JT didn't do anything like that. 

I don't think I'm following here to be honest. Because a government DIDN'T do 2 specific things, that government's at fault?

I guess I forgot this is the Wexit thread. :wacko:

Let me ask you this: is there any way I can convince you that what you have said is not the reason those jobs in Alberta were lost? Because, if there isn't, it's a waste of time for me to even try.

This is what caused Alberta to lose jobs: the oil prices. Not tariffs. Not forcing manufacturing companies back into the states. Oil prices. Case in point: 2015 on the worldwide oil prices graph below.

crude-oil-price-history-chart.png

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I don't think I'm following here to be honest. Because a government DIDN'T do 2 specific things, that government's at fault?

I guess I forgot this is the Wexit thread. :wacko:

Let me ask you this: is there any way I can convince you that what you have said is not the reason those jobs in Alberta were lost? Because, if there isn't, it's a waste of time for me to even try.

I used trump and what he  did as a example and also trump gave farmers and ranchers around 35 billion , you know how much JT has offered 250 million. We applauded the companies that started manufacturing masks and other ppe , so why not attract companies by being better then the states , why not grow our exports like farming and other natural resources.?

I didnt mean just alberta but I will argue that if the government bailed out select companies that agree to follow the new restrictions,  then it would create more jobs or help sustain constant work for those select companies , so people wouldn't have to wake up with wonder every day. Also oil and alberta are dependent on private investors and the government has made Canada a joke on that front. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

I used trump and what he  did as a example and also trump gave farmers and ranchers around 35 billion , you know how much JT has offered 250 million. We applauded the companies that started manufacturing masks and other ppe , so why not attract companies by being better then the states , why not grow our exports like farming and other natural resources.?

I didnt mean just alberta but I will argue that if the government bailed out select companies that agree to follow the new restrictions,  then it would create more jobs or help sustain constant work for those select companies , so people wouldn't have to wake up with wonder every day. Also oil and alberta are dependent on private inverters and the government has made Canada a joke on that front. 

I'm going to ask the same question I asked before: is there any way I can convince you that what you have said is not the reason those jobs in Alberta were lost? 

Just now, The Lock said:

I'm going to ask the same question I asked before: is there any way I can convince you that what you have said is not the reason those jobs in Alberta were lost? 

For the ahs? Or overall? I'm confused I'm arguing on all of Canada cause if any one province took one of those industries then oil prices falling wouldn't hurt as much, cause another industry could pick up the slack but there's no one industry offering a million jobs..........there was no plan and trump made one and created jobs and JT did nothing.......and also I wouldn't invest my money in Canada after everything that's been going on........so you want a industry that is mostly dependent on private investments to attract money after we failed to put in that pipeline and then turned around and bought it and it's still not finished ........ hmm mm. ..... 

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

For the ahs? Or overall? I'm confused I'm arguing on all of Canada cause if any one province took one of those industries then oil prices falling wouldn't hurt as much, cause another industry could pick up the slack but there's no one industry offering a million jobs..........there was no plan and trump made one and created jobs and JT did nothing.......and also I wouldn't invest my money in Canada after everything that's been going on........so you want a industry that is mostly dependent on private investments to attract money after we failed to put in that pipeline and then turned around and bought it and it's still not finished ........ hmm mm. ..... 

Okay, let's talk about Alberta here. The problem really comes down to the fact that Alberta was so focused on oil jobs, that when the oil prices went downhill, nothing was done beforehand to mitigate this. If we want to ignore what I'm saying about businesses creating jobs and focusing on the government, I wouldn't be just blaming JT for this. I'd also be blaming the Conservatives for not coming up with potential backup ways just in case if things fell through.

In terms of Trump, here's the problem: the unemployment rate was already on the decline before Trump got elected. The Unemployment rate didn't get lower at a faster rate either after Trump was elected. I'm honestly of the mindset that these "7 million" people who got jobs isn't because of Trump. Trump will take full credit of course because he wants your vote, but him alone wasn't the cause of it, nor was his plan.

• Haha 1