The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can you truly be a fan of two teams in a single league?

Magikal

Can you be a fan of two teams in one league?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having this debate with a friend of mine.

He is a fan of two NFL teams and I personally think it's trash. In our debates about this I often end up labeling him a 'Jersey fan'/bandwagoner/fairweather etc. Call it what you will but I have zero respect for the idea that someone can have two teams in one league. I don't think he can actually call himself a real fan of either squad. 

Why?

Because sports is all about buying into a subculture. It's about aligning yourself with the identity of a franchise, who they are and what they represent. It's  about buy-in, devotion and loyalty. Being with your team for both the highs and the lows. Unwavering support and pride no matter what happens. One clan above all else.

You can't have this when you fly two flags. It's impossible. 

His argument is when he started following the league (NFL in this case) he picked two teams and those are his clubs. Since he is from Europe originally I asked if one could be a Man U fan and a Chelsea fan? He claims that's different but didn't really give me a reason why other than people get assaulted and even killed for that over there (see Celtic vs Rangers for example)

I can get that some people appreciate a specific player or a team but at the end of the day your loyalty has to take a single side or no side at all.

Am I out to lunch? What say you? Hoping to get explanations as well as votes from those who chime in. Cheers.

Edited by Magikal
  • Cheers 1

I think it depends on the situation. If you’re just an objective fan of the sport, without a home team to root for, I think it’s absolutely possible.

However, if one of the teams you root for is your home team, I feel like that team is probably always going to take precedence over any other team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think it depends on the situation. If you’re just an objective fan of the sport, without a home team to root for, I think it’s absolutely possible.

However, if one of the teams you root for is your home team, I feel like that team is probably always going to take precedence over any other team.

So in the case of the NFL where in Canada we have no team then what? Are we all forced into an objective fan column?

I mean I'm not from Oakland but I bleed Silver&Black.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Magikal said:

So in the case of the NFL where in Canada we have no team then what? Are we all forced into an objective fan column?

I’m not saying it isn’t possible to only root for one team as a general fan of the sport, and even to be extremely devoted to that one team. But I also think it’s possible to extend that devotion to another team when there isn’t a home team involved. 

I’ll admit that I might not be the best person to ask, as I’ve always been a home team guy myself.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

I guess there's always the CFL

:bigblush:

I grew up die hard with the Lions but the league lost me as a fan a long long time ago. A combination of my much deeper love for NFL football and my displeasure with the CFL over time had me lose interest.

I still pay attention to what happens with the league but I don't much care who wins what and I cant remember the last time I did....Probably Damon Allen era?

Edited by Magikal
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Magikal said:

I grew up die hard with the Lions but the league lost me as a fan a long long time ago. A combination of my much deeper love for NFL football and my displeasure with the CFL over time had me lose interest.

I still pay attention to what happens with the league but I don't much care who wins what and I cant remember the last time I did....Probably Damon Allen era?

Ahh Damon Allen lol

Some chick I knew named Marissa said that he was a bit of a goof hitting on her (16 at the time) and her friend way back in the day

But that batch was also a compulsive liar who claimed to be working for CSIS later on in life, so take it with more than a few grains of salt.

At least she liked me more than "Football Joe".

But I'm getting bit off track here.

ONE TEAM FOREVER GO CANUCKS GO

(Honorable mention to the Vancouver Grizzlies)

I think you definitely can, but the degree of your fandom may not be as intense if you spread it out among multiple teams. Shannon (TheHockeyGuy) on YouTube is a noted big fan of the Canucks, Bruins, and the Stars (in that order, interestingly enough).

Personally, I've had second favourite teams, but I care about them maybe 5% as much as the Canucks, so it's not really fair to say I'm a fan of them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

You can be a casual fan of both teams but not a true fan of both. 

I can't even be a fan of two teams in different leagues, let alone in the same league. The last time was Grizzlies and Canucks. At the end of the day, I guess the only way for me to justify being a fan of two or more teams across different leagues is if they are based in Vancouver. Since the Grizzlies left, I haven't really been a fan of any other team. I just don't understand how you get attached to any team that you have no association with.

Edited by khay
  • Upvote 1

I have a much looser definition of fan than most people and that's because I stopped viewing fandom as a competition as I grew up. Now I just enjoy my own experience as a fan without judging and looking down at others and what they do for fun. Its hard for most fans to let go of that superiority complex, to not look down upon younger fans or those who just hopped on the bandwagon. If the Cup comes to Vancouver, does it really matter that there will be people who will share in the joy without having suffered through the pain? I don't believe that it does. I enjoyed the Raptors run to a championship this year even though I am not  the biggest fan of the NBA right now. I am still excited because I can't wait to see how this translates down the line in terms of talent for Canadian basketball. Being a fan also requires commitment of time and energy, people have their own priorities, again not my place to judge.

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Magikal said:

FIrst time I really started watching NFL was back when the Patriots were in their midst of their first superbowl run with Brady, up until then all my dad watches is CFL never NFL, so I sort of latched onto the Pats but regional the Seahawks were there and got a decent amount of coverage around here so I started watching both pretty intensely and with both generally playing at different times (10am vs 1 pm) I was able to watch and enjoy both games quite a bit so I sort of latched onto 2 teams in the league. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Russ said:

FIrst time I really started watching NFL was back when the Patriots were in their midst of their first superbowl run with Brady, up until then all my dad watches is CFL never NFL, so I sort of latched onto the Pats but regional the Seahawks were there and got a decent amount of coverage around here so I started watching both pretty intensely and with both generally playing at different times (10am vs 1 pm) I was able to watch and enjoy both games quite a bit so I sort of latched onto 2 teams in the league. 

You mean when that turd FUMBLED and was gifted a tuck rule call??

• Cheers 1