The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can you truly be a fan of two teams in a single league?

Magikal

Can you be a fan of two teams in one league?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why not?

Of course, you cannot be A Canucks/Flames/Oilers  or  Habs/Leafs/Bruin fan at the same time.  But what's wrong with being a Canucks and Pittsburgh fan at the same time?  Chances theses two teams meet in a Stanley Cup final is pretty low (if I remember my math correctly that's 0.42%).

Not everyone is a crazy, bipolar, diehard fan of their team.  Doesn't mean they aren't true fan.  I think it is possible, it's just less common.

18 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Why not?

Of course, you cannot be A Canucks/Flames/Oilers  or  Habs/Leafs/Bruin fan at the same time.  But what's wrong with being a Canucks and Pittsburgh fan at the same time?  Chances theses two teams meet in a Stanley Cup final is pretty low (if I remember my math correctly that's 0.42%).

Not everyone is a crazy, bipolar, diehard fan of their team.  Doesn't mean they aren't true fan.  I think it is possible, it's just less common.

So it's okay to have another team so long as they aren't a conference or division rival is that what you're saying? And what happens if those two teams do me in the playoffs? Eventually aside is going to have to be chosen and therein lies the team that you actually are with.

There are also the points that I made in my initial post explaining why you can't have two teams no matter what Conference or division Etc. I do see where you're coming from though I just have to disagree that's all.

6 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Canucks or GTFrickO

One team one life one purpose one shot at glory

One Cup

(And then another!)

I agree with you 110%

IMO if you live in a city, or lived in a city, that has a team (like us with the Canucks) then a true fan only cheers for that team.  Their depth of fanaticism for that home city's team doesn't allow for any other team to be liked.

However, if a person lives in a city without a team in a particular league (in Vancouver we only have the Canucks) then it's easy to cheer for several teams in those leagues you don't have teams.  The level of fanaticism isn't so restricting.

So, for hockey, if you live here, and don't put us as your only team IMO you are not a true fanatic.  

26 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I personally don't think so. I could care less for any other team in the nhl besides the canucks.

I think I could rank the teams as ones I hate the most.  Leafs, Flames, Bruins, etc are the ones I hate the most.  If we don't win the cup, then I cheer against those teams.  I hate all the other teams, but some I hate more.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Magikal said:

So it's okay to have another team so long as they aren't a conference or division rival is that what you're saying? And what happens if those two teams do me in the playoffs? Eventually aside is going to have to be chosen and therein lies the team that you actually are with.

There are also the points that I made in my initial post explaining why you can't have two teams no matter what Conference or division Etc. I do see where you're coming from though I just have to disagree that's all.

Maybe, but are you going to choose the same side every time?   Maybe Sidney Crosby is my favorite player and in the event that they both meet in the finals, I might side with Pittsburgh....but when he retires and my 2nd best player EP become my new active #1 favorite player.  If they would meet again in a final that time I might pick the Canucks.  A person's answer might change depending on this particular year's roster.

Your seeing it from a diehard fan perspective...which obviously he can only have one favorite.  But other more casual fan, but still true fan, can have a different perspective.  

I'm a hardcore hockey and Canucks fan, and in hockey I wouldn't have any other favorite.  But i'm also a baseball, basketball and NFL fan, but less intense than hockey.  I grew up an Atlanta Braves fan and in the past 5-10 years I've also adopted the Blue Jays.  I follow both team evenly.  In Football, I always liked the Broncos and Steelers and my preference would depends of the actual condition of the teams if they would ever meet in the playoffs.  My answer might change depending on the years.

No, you cant truly be a fan of more than one IMO.

I don't have a NFL team, I like a few teams but wouldn't call myself a true "fan" of any of them.

So what do I define as being a real fan? Things like going out of your way / making time to watch or attend games. Spending on paraphernalia.

Keeping up with any and all roster movement and player development in the off season.

Stuff like that.

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Anyone heard of the YouTuber "The Hockey Guy"? 

I don't understand how he can be a diehard Canucks and Bruins fan. 

I think a big factor is that he became a Canuck fan in the early 80s and a Bruins fan in the late 80s, so it was well before the 2011 Finals.

• Cheers 2

There's die hard fans and then there's fairweather fans. Most people that live here cheer for the Seahawks, because they don't know any better lol But seriously, it's probably because Seattle is close to Vancouver. They might own a jersey or a t-shirt or hat, but don't really know any of the players except for Russell Wilson. Fairweather fans can be easily identified in public, wearing either Seahawks or Patriots fan gear lol 

For me, I'm a die hard Steelers fan, I have a corner of my sports room dedicated to the team. It's wonderful, filled with Black and Yellow and Terrible Towels. I've been to a couple of games at Heize Field, great time!  I don't cheer for any other teams, unless I have money riding on a game. But even so, I am not a fan of another team.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

If you have dual citizenship, can you cheer for both countries in international events with equal passion? Depending on your connection to both countries (lived significant time in both, friends and family in both) I think you can.

In sports with individual athletes as opposed to teams (Tennis, Golf, etc) can be a fan of more than one player? Absolutely possible, I think. 

Extending to North American team sports, yes I think you can depending on your personal reasons, which someone else shouldn't judge.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Maybe, but are you going to choose the same side every time?   Maybe Sidney Crosby is my favorite player and in the event that they both meet in the finals, I might side with Pittsburgh....but when he retires and my 2nd best player EP become my new active #1 favorite player.  If they would meet again in a final that time I might pick the Canucks.  A person's answer might change depending on this particular year's roster.

Your seeing it from a diehard fan perspective...which obviously he can only have one favorite.  But other more casual fan, but still true fan, can have a different perspective.  

I'm a hardcore hockey and Canucks fan, and in hockey I wouldn't have any other favorite.  But i'm also a baseball, basketball and NFL fan, but less intense than hockey.  I grew up an Atlanta Braves fan and in the past 5-10 years I've also adopted the Blue Jays.  I follow both team evenly.  In Football, I always liked the Broncos and Steelers and my preference would depends of the actual condition of the teams if they would ever meet in the playoffs.  My answer might change depending on the years.

Yes you must choose a side. Being a fan of a player is different. I think Aaron Rodgers is the most amazing QB in the league to watch and I enjoy seeing what he can do. But I am no Packer and never will be.

I'm seeing things from a true fans perspective. Remember fan is short for fanatic. If you are not a fanatic about your team then they A. aren't your team and B. you are not a fan.

When it comes to your baseball example if it was the Jays vs the Braves who you got? Broncos vs Steelers who you taking? To say it depends on the condition of the team makes you sound like a glory chaser.....do you just pick which team is doing better and go with it? because if that is the case then I would question how you can call yourself a fan TBH.

Not trying to be nasty or pick a fight by any means but unless I am misunderstanding something here this is how it comes across.....

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

What skin off my nose is it if someone is fans of two teams in the same league? It's cheering for two sports teams, not completing a double doctorate. 

It's not about the skin off your nose it's about the logic behind it.

It's also about fans like these trash talking to no end when they have no real loyalty to a team. If fair weather fans are going to be fair weather fans that's whatever I guess but when they start trash talking that's when it is over the line for me. 

2 minutes ago, Magikal said:

It's not about the skin off your nose it's about the logic behind it.

It's also about fans like these trash talking to no end when they have no real loyalty to a team. If fair weather fans are going to be fair weather fans that's whatever I guess but when they start trash talking that's when it is over the line for me. 

You can logically support multiple teams in a 30+ team league. Humans do in fact have the brain power to fanatically support more than one team at a time. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You can logically support multiple teams in a 30+ team league. Humans do in fact have the brain power to fanatically support more than one team at a time. 

And when these teams face off against each other which is bound to happen where does one put their loyalty? How does someone invest in the subculture and history of multiple organizations?