The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can you truly be a fan of two teams in a single league?

Magikal

Can you be a fan of two teams in one league?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am a hardcore Canucks fan but when I was growing up I liked certain players on certain teams and kind of grew to like the teams. 

I was a HUGE Ron Hextall fan so watching whatever I could on him I started to love the legion of boom. I’ll never cheer for teams within our division but out of conference I have Philly and NYI and a small part of me likes the Columbus blue jackets. 

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think a big factor is that he became a Canuck fan in the early 80s and a Bruins fan in the late 80s, so it was well before the 2011 Finals.

This is where I sit, my 2 favourite players growing up were Bourque and Neely. And no, I am not the hockey guy. And no I absolutely did not cheer for Boston over Van. I did cheer for Boston over Chicago and St Louis. 

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

No, that's my point, I can be both a Canucks and Penguins fan.  But if Crosby happens to be my favorite player today, I might pick the Penguins, but if in 5 years Crosby is retired and EP is my new favorite (active) player, I might choose the Canucks 5 years later.

I'm not chasing glory, I'd pick a side before the matchup and assume my choice whether they win or not.  If I like both, doesn't mean I'll chose the same side a few years later when players change.

I'm not saying it's common and frequent, just saying it's possible.

Nah I can't get behind this. It's half hearted fandom. One team, one loyalty. 

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm also a bit surprised @SabreFan1 (a Sabres fan who frequently contributes on a Canucks forum) hasn't ripped this thread to shreds yet :lol:

The urge was there, but I think most are just flexing their homer Canucks muscles and shouting to the world that they love their team so I just restrain myself from pooping on their Canucks rally.

I purposely chose this screen name (Actually I originally tried SabresFan, but it had been taken) because I wanted to be up front that the Sabres were my number 1 team, followed by the Canucks. 

You can be a fan of two teams, but if one of those teams is your hometown team, you're going to favour your original love.

That said, I still get the same emotions watching the Canucks win or lose that I get while watching the Sabres.  I'm just glad they only play each other 2 times a year.  I may have fun teasing and being teased on the board during those games, but every time there's a hard check into the boards, or a fight, my buttcheeks clench hard until I know that everyone involved is uninjured.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The urge was there, but I think most are just flexing their homer Canucks muscles and shouting to the world that they love their team so I just restrain myself from pooping on their Canucks rally.

I purposely chose this screen name (Actually I originally tried SabresFan, but it had been taken) because I wanted to be up front that the Sabres were my number 1 team, followed by the Canucks. 

You can be a fan of two teams, but if one of those teams is your hometown team, you're going to favour your original love.

That said, I still get the same emotions watching the Canucks win or lose that I get while watching the Sabres.  I'm just glad they only play each other 2 times a year.  I may have fun teasing and being teased on the board during those games, but every time there's a hard check into the boards, or a fight, my buttcheeks clench hard until I know that everyone involved is uninjured.

Of course you have to pick one if it comes down to it but it definitely sounds to me like you’re more than capable of having room in your heart for two teams.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Magikal said:

You mean when that turd FUMBLED and was gifted a tuck rule call??

I barely knew what I was watching at the time, didn't really get into football until probably 5 years later after that.  Was too focused on hockey/soccer/basketball at the time to care about football outside of the BC Lions.

23 hours ago, Magikal said:

Working on getting a Raider fanpage started on FB for BC residents and possibly doing meet ups like the Vancouver Eagles do. Interested? 

Ya man, I'd be in for sure, PM the page name once you get it up and running!

• Like 1