The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Josi extended 8 years

qwijibo

Josi has been the most underpaid D-man in the league for a few years now so I am sure he and his agent want to recoup some of that lost income. He would have been a UFA at the end of this season and I am sure there would be teams willing to pay this kind of money for the 7 year max so Nashville really did not have a lot of choices. They perhaps could have traded him but they are a "win now" team so would that really have been a viable option?

I think the salary cap goes up an average of about $3M per year so this will look like a pretty decent contract over the last 2 or 3 years assuming he will still be a reasonable performer at that time. Any large contract over 7 or 8 years is risky but I doubt this one ends up hurting them too much.

Once again, GM's being GM's own worst enemy.

I'm still waiting for a GM to make a statement where he says no, I'm going to take a short-term hit for the franchise on this guy and let him walk so he doesn't cripple our team for the next decade.  As a fan, it would be both hard to take at first, yet refreshingly satisfying to know the GM has the team's long-range viability in mind. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Last season Josi blew everyone out of the water in zone exits and zone entries with possession whether per game or in counts.  Numbers from NHL Network:

He skated the puck out of the defensive zone 627 times - 127 times more than the next player.  

He skated the puck into the offensive zone 326 times - 135 times more than the 2nd ranked D.

wow. Add that to the offensive numbers and I guess it makes sense for now. But this is maybe the deal he should have got 4 years ago, not today. 37 when its done. 

It looks like the last 4 years have no bonus money so its designed for buyout as much as possible at least if it goes sideways down the road. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow. Add that to the offensive numbers and I guess it makes sense for now. But this is maybe the deal he should have got 4 years ago, not today. 37 when its done. 

It looks like the last 4 years have no bonus money so its designed for buyout as much as possible at least if it goes sideways down the road. 

He's not a physical D so will probably age better than someone that plays a more physical game.

LeBrun asked a few executives and agents Josi's worth last week - 9 to 11M.  Most had him around 9.5 to 10M in Nashville because of his importance to them.  On the open market they valued him at about 10M. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Funny the automatic assumption that any player that signs a contract until past 35 must be a horrendous one. Josi is an excellent player and his style of play likely keeps him effective for a long time. I think he's going to be well worth this contract for the duration, maybe not 9 million worthy at the end (but keep in mind the many years that he looks to be underpaid), but the cap likely will be going up making it less damaging. Then I suspect he will sign year by year until he retires at around 40.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I mean, Nashville had to sign him. But yeah, that's likely gonna look ugly later. Who knows, maybe he'll still be effective at that age.

If I were a GM I'd be super hesitant to sign a player in their late 20's to an 8 year deal. I'd sooner suffer shorter term and higher cap.

UFA's and pending UFA's have a lot of leverage though. They could walk for nothing and in many cases block trades. 

Edited by Coconuts

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

Do you have many examples of these types of contracts being good ones?

Giordano comes to mind, I'm sure there are more. Josi is the type of player that could play later, like Gio.

The majority of these contracts do end up sucking, but some don't. It's a valid point.

Everyone likes to bandwagon on and blindly agree, some don't.