The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: would you trade markstrom to the sharks?

Seeing how jones is struggling so mightily the last 2 season in SJ and they are pretty much in a win now mode.. would you considering trading markstrom to the sharks for a ransom? Do you have enough confidence in Demko moving forward? For me yes. If we can get a 1st and a high prospect out of SJ I would do it. Expansion draft is coming soon it’s unlikely we’ll be able to keep both markstrom and demko anyways if the price is right I’d do it. SJ season is in jeopardy to go down the toilet if they don’t address their goaltending soon enough.

Imho, a poor target. The Sharks are likely done, & a div-rival.

First, I sign JM if it's reasonable.

If terms aren't agreeable, I'd send him to the Eastern Conf. A good squad, where he has a a chance to win. Lots of good eastern teams have top prospects. We could demand a top prospect, instead of a pick. Even if you take back a vet 'tender on a short/expiring deal.

If Demko maintains his early standards, this becomes increasingly possible. It also might push JM to sign a more acceptable contract(term; ED protection or not, etc...)

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Seeing how jones is struggling so mightily the last 2 season in SJ and they are pretty much in a win now mode.. would you considering trading markstrom to the sharks for a ransom? Do you have enough confidence in Demko moving forward? For me yes. If we can get a 1st and a high prospect out of SJ I would do it. Expansion draft is coming soon it’s unlikely we’ll be able to keep both markstrom and demko anyways if the price is right I’d do it. SJ season is in jeopardy to go down the toilet if they don’t address their goaltending soon enough.

We'll be able to keep them both. just have to toss a 3rd round pick Seattle's way to leave our guy alone.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ummmm No!!

You need two goalies to achieve anything in the NHL. Why give one of ours away?

Bad idea...very bad.....bad.....:sadno:

You don't make a stupid move now to avoid a move two years from now.  

I highly doubt anyone would offer a 1st and a top prospect for Markstrom.  

Goalies, in general, do not return much in season.  Most of the trades involving goalies n the last several years have been in the off-season.  The only one I recall happening in season where a 1st was involved was a trade deadline trade involving Ryan Miller to St Louis. And that was a 5 player deal. 

Markstrom is just shy of 30. He’s a pending UFA, with the exception of the last half season last year and the start of this year he has been mostly unremarkable 

I just don’t see San Jose (or anybody else) offering more to the  Canucks than what his worth is to the team on the ice. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Imho, a poor target. The Sharks are likely done, & a div-rival.

First, I sign JM if it's reasonable.

If terms aren't agreeable, I'd send him to the Eastern Conf. A good squad, where he has a a chance to win. Lots of good eastern teams have top prospects. We could demand a top prospect, instead of a pick. Even if you take back a vet 'tender on a short/expiring deal.

If Demko maintains his early standards, this becomes increasingly possible. It also might push JM to sign a more acceptable contract(term; ED protection or not, etc...)

Doesn't that make it a good target. If an aging team wants to overpay for a goalie then you do it.

Canucks would need to get a decent goalie in return though to split games with Demko if he stumbles

we are in a crappy spot right now as one of the goalies will be exposed to the expansion draft.  I cannot imagine seattle not picking any of our exposed goalies.  If we protect Markstrom they will certainly take Demko as one of their choices, and if we keep Demko it means, we have told Markstrom we will have to expose him and there is a good chance Seattle takes him.  I wouldn't mind the idea of trading him but at the right price.  San Jose I believe also doesn't have a 1st rounder this year from trading it to Ottawa for Karlsson.

It would have to be a high return for a divisional rival. 

If Markstrom were to be traded I think a team like Columbus, Detroit, or Philadelphia would be "better" fits. Columbus because they need a strong starter, Detroit because they don't have a succession plan for Jimmy Howard, and Philadelphia because Brian Elliott isn't a good goalie and Carter Hart doesn't appear to be ready yet.

48 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Doesn't that make it a good target. If an aging team wants to overpay for a goalie then you do it.

Canucks would need to get a decent goalie in return though to split games with Demko if he stumbles

Well their 2020 1st(tasty piece) has already been p*$$ed away(Karlsson/OTT). In truth, don't know much about their prospects, but suspect their cupboards would upset Ol' Mother Hubbard(& Rover)!