The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Ducks, November 1, 2019 // 7.00 PM PT // SNP

Rate this topic

ItalianCanuck1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not trolling.  Seriously.  Furley got concussed in a fight.  He's not going to fight anymore.  What role does a guy fill whose job it is to be the deterrent with the threat he will fight, who can't fight?  You guys seriously think Furley doesn't know that his role involves fighting, and the threat he will fight?  

It's a serious question?  We need a new player to take that role.  It's not Baer.  Who then?  

FERLAND HAS BEEN ON THE IR FOR A COUPLE HOURS.  SETTLE DOWN PANIC GUY!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

yes, I agree with all that, but he did get recalled after putting up big points in Utica

I just feel you are arguing what was stated verbatim

I suspect that there was a "message" not exactly as stated

Something like "Sven, you are running out of chances, its all or nothing time... your play will show if you really want it".

In enfect this is the same situation as when he was traded out of Calgary, Sven was labeled a perimiter player.

When Sven came up to Vancouver he started playing in the tough areas, and injuries started to mount.

Sven is a bit like Chris Tanev, in that if they play "safe" they don't play well enough , but if they well enough they get injured. For the record I am not saying Tanev ever played safe. But he has paid for the right to maintain his spot on the roster, more consistantly than Sven. The same may be true of Micheal Ferland.

No one took his shots from closer to the net than Baertschi last season.  He had the highest expected goals per 60 and actual goals per 60 on the team while not being a volume shooter - i.e. he is going into the right scoring areas for those numbers to be that high.

I think they had already decided in the summer that he was not in their plans.  He was also the only vet not at media day.  They don't think he fits a bottom-6 role and there was no room in the top-6.  He was also not seen as a PP option when he has some of the best numbers on the team the past two seasons.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

the deterrent is having a guy willing to push the envelope and stick up for teammates, not a guy who's willing to fight -- the other guy has to agree to it, anyway. 

in 2019, where there's a fight in fewer than 1 in 5 nhl games and most teams won't give a roster spot to those kinds of players, as long as ferland still plays physically and intensely, there's no loss in his effectiveness. 

I (obviously) hope you're right.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ is a big boy.  I'm wondering if he's our Edler replacement for a top four minute muncher in a couple years?  He still needs to do some physical growing it looks to me.  

Probably.  He is another great puck mover, probably better than Edler especially at comparative ages.

He anticipates the play very well, which fits right into the collapse style game the Canucks are playing in their own end.

To make room for him, Stecher could be gone, and we see OJ/Benn by season's end, or next year.

OJ/Hughes could be good as well, if Tanev is dealt, as I think Quinn can play RD no problemo.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Strange, in Japan I keep reading California headlines like it's the coming apocalypse: Fires, 1000's of homeless, syringes, faeces, taxes from Hell, corrupt Hollyweird, etc...

It sounds like a place you'd NEVER wanna' stay, if one were sent there. How does Hotel California sound played backwards? At any rate...

GCG!!!

you bet it a coming apocalypse the canucks are rolling thru cali

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lines in morning skate:

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Leivo-Sutter-Gaudette
Schaller-Beagle-Eriksson

Baertschi

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher

Sautner

I'm biased but I think Baer - could go in for any of the 4 guys highlighted maybe Gaud too.  They had to sit Loui for 9 games to get good effort out of him for the FLA game.   I didn't hear his name very much in Kings game.  Loui would be my first choice to come out.

Edited by Cali Canuck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mll said:

No one took his shots from closer to the net than Baertschi last season.  He had the highest expected goals per 60 and actual goals per 60 on the team while not being a volume shooter - i.e. he is going into the right scoring areas for those numbers to be that high.

I think they had already decided in the summer that he was not in their plans.  He was also the only vet not at media day.  They don't think he fits a bottom-6 role and there was no room in the top-6.  He was also not seen as a PP option when he has some of the best numbers on the team the past two seasons.  

I would rather see Baer in the top 6 than Pearson or Leivo.  I think the management would rather utilize the more physical, but less skilled Ws in the top 6 as they can move them throughout the lineup.  Gives them more options; especially if they want to use the 3rd line as a shutdown line.

Regardless, Baer will get his chance on Bo's line and I hope he does well.  It will be tough going for him if he's in the game tonight; coming all the way from Chi. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

Probably.  He is another great puck mover, probably better than Edler especially at comparative ages.

He anticipates the play very well, which fits right into the collapse style game the Canucks are playing in their own end.

To make room for him, Stecher could be gone, and we see OJ/Benn by season's end, or next year.

OJ/Hughes could be good as well, if Tanev is dealt, as I think Quinn can play RD no problemo.

If, by season's end, OJ can outplay Stecher and take over that top 6 Canuck D spot, this team will be even better having a guy as good as Stecher as the 7th D.  I would love to believe OJ could develop like that!!

I doubt though that OJ could take Tanev's spot this year. Tanev is just too solid.  Next year? Who knows.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

I'm biased but I think Baer - could go in for any of the 4 guys highlighted maybe Gaud too.  They had to sit Loui for 9 games to get good effort out of him for the FLA game.   I didn't hear his name very much in Kings game.  Loui would be my first choice to come out.

Miller Pete Boes

Baer Horvat Virt

Leivo Sutter Gaudette

Schaller Beagle Pearson

I hope we see that 4th line.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cali Canuck said:

When you don't hear a player's name playing in a defensive role, generally that is a good thing. Maybe no stand out moments, but also means no mistakes. Not much more to expect from a 4th liner. Loui did get under 10 minutes of ice time last game though even with Ferland out early. The team has been using Schaller and Pearson on the PK over LE though which takes away the extra time he would've gotten in years past.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

When you don't hear a player's name playing in a defensive role, generally that is a good thing. Maybe no stand out moments, but also means no mistakes. Not much more to expect from a 4th liner. Loui did get under 10 minutes of ice time last game though even with Ferland out early. The team has been using Schaller and Pearson on the PK over LE though which takes away the extra time he would've gotten in years past.

Pearson's game fits on that 4th line amazingly well given their PK successes together.

He has a game that suits both Schaller and Beagle.

Edited by xereau

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would rather see Baer in the top 6 than Pearson or Leivo.  I think the management would rather utilize the more physical, but less skilled Ws in the top 6 as they can move them throughout the lineup.  Gives them more options; especially if they want to use the 3rd line as a shutdown line.

Regardless, Baer will get his chance on Bo's line and I hope he does well.  It will be tough going for him if he's in the game tonight; coming all the way from Chi. 

Green seems to have a goal of having the team get the puck behind the defenders and get possession (dump and chase essentially). Pearson and Leivo fit that role much better. Baertschi could possibly, but they feel like he's been hesitant and split seconds matter sometimes.

It's demonstrated much more clearly seeing Miller on the top line as he's exceptional at this and why he was an effective contributor to Tampa's top PP. He does the trench work, but doesn't always get the glory of the points. IMO Miller would've been a great linemates for the Sedins in their prime.

Hard to question Green's decisions right now.

• Like 1

A few comments from hfducks lol:

Canucks fans getting really cocky hopefully we can bring them down a peg or two
Im really hoping for a good showing from Guds and MDZ just to shut up the Van fans.

LOL at the guy who thinks Getzlaf will go out of his way to cheapshot Jake "1st Round Bust" Virtanen.
If they dont win by at least 5... their fan base is going to have trouble sleeping tonight

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Not trolling.  Seriously.  Furley got concussed in a fight.  He's not going to fight anymore.  What role does a guy fill whose job it is to be the deterrent with the threat he will fight, who can't fight?  You guys seriously think Furley doesn't know that his role involves fighting, and the threat he will fight?  

It's a serious question?  We need a new player to take that role.  It's not Baer.  Who then?  

Big MacEwen next year when he makes the roster. For now, guys like Benn/Leivo/Beagle/Schaller are gonna have to step up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

Pearson's game fits on that 4th line amazingly well given their PK successes together.

He has a game that suits both Schaller and Beagle.

Does it fit amazingly? He got relegated to the 4th line in Pittsburgh and was underwhelming. If Pearson isn't putting up numbers, I think the pitchforks will start coming out for him here. Pearson has enough skill to maximize his abilities in the middle 6. Not to say he can't play that role, just don't think it gets the best out of him. His ability to PK is beneficial as a counter and he's partnered with Sutter who's been a regular linemate of his of late.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Does it fit amazingly? He got relegated to the 4th line in Pittsburgh and was underwhelming. If Pearson isn't putting up numbers, I think the pitchforks will start coming out for him here. Pearson has enough skill to maximize his abilities in the middle 6. Not to say he can't play that role, just don't think it gets the best out of him. His ability to PK is beneficial as a counter and he's partnered with Sutter who's been a regular linemate of his of late.

Heavier body than Gaudette, who has a knack for being in the right spot.  You are right though, Pearson is snake bit and he is one of the expendables if young guys get the opportunity. Him, Loui and Leivo are both stopgaps until someone steps up and takes their place. Baer, if he can stay healthy, is a slick offensive and familiar kick to Bo and Jake who are showing chemistry. I can see a trade coming that involves Leivo, Pearson, or Baer. Something has to give buy next season , regardless. Winger depth is never a bad thing. We might lose Baer to waivers too, that's another possibility that comes from not being able to trade someone, and soon. Roussel will be back soon too don't forget. Its possible that Benning has to move out two guys if they want Gaudette to get meaningful minutes this season in the NHL.